Trojan Tragedy - Targeting Norton?

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:03 am
My poor computer has been zapped by a Trojan - and is at the doctor's now. (The beast stopped me from following any of the sage advice I received for getting rid of it, and has had a fabulous time running amuck in my poor wee baby's innards. Patient may lose most of her mind...... Crying or Very sad )

I was a little puzzled about how this happened - what with me keeping my Norton religiously up to date - as with my Microsoft patches and such.

The computer fella was raving, rather, about Norton having been targeted recently, and nothing working, and all that - and about not being able to keep his own computers free - and, well, it was all rather Gotterdammerung and Armageddonish.

What I am wondering is:

1. Is there truth in this - or is he blowing smoke to make losing all my data and charging a lot of money to clean my puter seem good?

2. Should I change what I am using to protect the poor dear wee thing? And if so, what on earth to?

Or should I just give up and take up gin rummy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 804 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 12:21 am
join the gin and rummy club.

i just bought a new computer. when the new one goes, i'll get a new one again. or give up computers.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 01:31 am
bump
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 02:20 am
My bet is your #1 option there, bunny. I'm also gonna guess your problem was related to your browser and/or email client security settings.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 07:03 am
Quote:
Symantec has issued a patch for a flaw in its scanning software that could cause a virus to execute, rather than catch it.

The vulnerability affects an antivirus library used by the majority of Symantec's antivirus and anti-spam products, including Norton SystemWorks 2004 and Symantec Mail Security for Exchange, the security provider said on Tuesday.

Quote:
"Symantec strongly recommends that customers ensure their products are up-to-date to protect against this vulnerability," the company said in a statement. "To date, Symantec has not had any reports of related exploits of this vulnerability."

Security information company Secunia, which rates the seriousness of software vulnerabilities, gave the Symantec flaw its second-highest threat grade, "highly critical".

The rest of the article I will leave to Timber, Monger et al, to understand, for as far as I am concerned, it could have been written in ancient Sanskrit! Laughing

http://software.silicon.com/security/0,39024655,39127781,00.htm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 12:44 pm
From what I gather, NAV's LiveUpdate shoulda updated your Norton to correct that particular issue on Feb 9th, so I dunno. I know mine did - 70209af (extended version 2/9/2005 rev. 32). I sorta doubt your problem was related to that particular exploit. Coulda been, of course, but it seems more likely, to me anyhow, that the sorta problem you describe would be related to your Internet Security Settings.

Details from Symantec Security Bulletin: Feb 8 2005
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 12:49 pm
Timber- I have Norton "Live Update". I am getting so paranoid about viruses though, that sometimes I will just run it manually when I first open the computer, just for the hell of it. It only takes a few seconds, and then I feel better! :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 12:57 pm
New LiveUpdate definitions are available every Wednesday. If ya wanna be a little more up-to-date, there's IntelligentUpdate , which is more frequently updated ... ya hafta manually install the updates, but the instructions are clear and simple. The most current LiveUpdate file is the one for Feb 9 (the normal Wednesday update), the most current Intelligent update file, which contains about 16 additional items over the Feb 9 version, is dated Feb 13. I generally check Intelligent update on Mondays and Fridays - or when there's word of a new baddie out there in the wild - as well as havin' LiveUpdate enabled for its regular Wednesday update.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 03:00 pm
My Norton was updating itself almost every day.

Any comments about security settings other than they are prolly what did it, Timber?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 05:27 pm
Opinions vary on what's best for security settings, but this is what I'd recommend for ya:

Tools>Internet Options>Security - click ""Custom Level" -

Under ".NET Framework-reliant components";

Run components not signed with Authenticode - set to "Disable" for highest security, but less functionality, "Prompt" if you think it wise to make the choices yourself

Binary and script behaviors" - set to "Prompt"

Download unsigned ActiveX controls - set to "Prompt" or "Disable"

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe - set to "Prompt" or "Disable"

Run ActiveX controls and plugins - set to "Prompt"

Under "Miscellaneous";

Access data across domains - set to "Prompt"

Allow web pages to use restricted protocols for active content - set to "Prompt"

Display mixed content - set to "Prompt"

Software channel permissions - sit to "High" for greatest security, "Mediun" for more functionality

Submit nonencrypted form data - set to "Prompt"

Use Pop-up blocker - set to "Enable" if its not already set

Websites in less privileged web content zone can navigate into this zone - set to "Prompt"

Under "Scripting"

Active scripting - set to "Prompt"

Everything else can be left at default setting - usually "Enable", Then go to the "Advanced" tab.

Under "Browsing", uncheck both instances of "Install On Demand". Under "Security", make sure everything EXCEPT "Allow software to run or install even if signature is invalid" and "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is checked. Click "OK", exit to your desktop, and reboot.

If you still have Microsoft's "Virtual Machine",

Uninstall it ,

then get

Sun Java

You'll get nagged some as you browse, but you'll be aware of and hafta think about what ya allow. There's some other stuff (like addin' specific known sites to your "Trusted" zone, settin' up exceptions for the way cookies from some sites are handled, and turnin' off some 3rd party auto updates), but that's plenty for now.

I'd also recommend anyone interested in computer privacy and security take a good look around Eric Howes' excellent website
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:35 pm
Thankee!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:46 pm
I should mention those are settings for the "Internet Zone" - leave the other zones alone for now.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:59 pm
Lol! I GOT no damn zones Timber!!!

Putie is still in the shop.

I will look close at the zone stuff when it is returned.
0 Replies