Symantec/Norton Upgrade

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 05:57 pm
I have the 2002 symantec system works running on my computer, but the thing expires this month. I don't even remember whether it's a membership thing, or a software thing (that's expiring). I went to Symantec to upgrade and found a variety of packages to chose from and don't know which is best. If all my system works is from 2002, should I replace the whole lot? Can I just upgrade parts of it? Also, my current sysworks can't do live updates for some reason and I can't figure out why.

One more question. My b-in-l tells me that he's seen a false norton website and to be wary of such things, but I don't know how to tell the difference between the official website and a false one. Any tips?

Thanks for any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,096 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 07:12 pm
littlek - What expires is the automatic updates, which in this day and age, you really NEED. I have just the Norton anti-virus. I have a separate firewall (Zone Alarm) and two spyware programs. (Ad Aware, and Spybot Search and Destroy.) I have read a number of Norton reviews that were not too flattering to the complete suite.

Since you were using 2002, I would suggest that you get a whole new 2005 Norton anti-virus, rather than an update. I usually change the virus program every couple of years, and update in between.

Here's the link for Symantec:

Link

[quote]One more question. My b-in-l tells me that he's seen a false norton website and to be wary of such things, but I don't know how to tell the difference between the official website and a false one. Any tips? [/quote]

If you are unsure of whether a link is genuine, don't click on it. Type it in on the address bar. Or, look it up in Google, and click from there.

Here is an idea about how a person could be fooled.

Link to "Gone With the Wind"

(Don't worry. I won't do anything dastardly! )
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 07:59 pm
That was a MADD Magazine site......?

Thanks for the response, Phoenix. It seemed like I didn't use a lot of the sysworks I'd gotten in 2002. I'll have to pick and chose. I have ad-aware and spybot with a seperate firewall. So, anti-virus and ghost....? I'll have to see what else I have.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:20 pm
So.... the whole new anti-virus? Or the whole new system (anti-virus, disc check, ghost, etc)?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:09 am
lil'k,

What expired is likely the subscription to the virus definitions updates, without which your AV will not be effective.

Thing is, renewing the subscription is often comparable in price to actually upgrading the software to a new version with a new subscription.

So pay attention for the bargain.

Note: System Works is a "suite" of software that does a lot more than AV. You may or may not be using any of it, if not you could just get their AV program.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:41 pm
Thanks Craven!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:49 pm
If you do go for Norton Systemworks, be advised that CleanSweep's program backup utility doesn't play well with a buncha anti-spyware apps, including AdAware and Spybot S&D. Not a biggie, really, just don't use it. If have anti-yuckware on your machine, abd you insist on usin' CleanSweep's program backup utility, you have to delete Norton/Symantec completely, including deleting all files, folders, and keys left behind by the uninstall routine, then do the same for your anti-yuckware, empty your temp folders and your recycle bin, re-boot, and do a fiull re-install Norton System Works. DO NOT reinstall your anti-yuckware untill you've backed up the programs and apps you want. Once you install the anti-yuckware, CleanSweep is broken - it'll let you restore a previously backed up program, but it won't back up any new ones. The glitch seems peculiar to CleanSweep, apparently it doesn't affect any of the other SystemWorks apps. Symantec, LavaSoft, and Patrick Kolla, SpyBot's developer, are all aware of this, and there seems to be no workaround available or fix planned. The pertinent forums all have discussions regarding the issue.

Actually, I prefer keepin' track of all my program install disks or downloads, and all the necessary product activation keys, and keepin' all of that wholly separate from any of my machines; its either on the original install disc, with the activation code magic-markered on the disk's label, or the original unexecuted download is saved to removeable media along with a .txt file containin' the activation code. When I wanna do a re-install from removeable media, I copy the unexecuted download to my desktop, and run it from there, leavin' the original pristine.

There is an upside to totally uninstallin' Norton/Symantec though; when you re-install, as long as the product is current, your update subscription anniversary date is one year from the date of re-install. Works that way for lotsa other vendor's programs too - not universal, but pretty common. Ya gotta get it all, though - all related files, folders, and registry keys.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:54 pm
By backup utility do you mean ghost? I'd rather backup to CDs and sore them outside of the computer, but I don't have a write-enabled disc drive. And, I know it's terrible, but I never backup anything.

So, if I get the new package (2005) I should fully delete the 2002 version before installing? That's actually a Q I've been meaning to ask in general. I think I assumed the new versions of programs wrote over the old versions. I wonder how many un-used programs I have littering my harddrive.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:58 pm
Ghost is unaffected. I do recommend you do a full uninstall of 2002 before installin' 2005. Symantec's supportt website has a tutorial on that, but basically what you do is use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the older version, then use Search, enablerd to search for all files and folders including hidden and system, and hunt down and delete every file, folder, and key named or containin' Symantec or Norton. Its reall easy, if a little tedious.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:59 pm
mmmm, tedious is ok.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:02 pm
Its for the best - and its what Symantec recommends, too - not at all a bad idea, BTW, to uninstall any older app before installin' a newer version, or even restorin' your current version from backup - save yourself lotsa headaches if ya start clean and fresh.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:04 pm
makes sense.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:11 pm
Pretty much figured that out the hard way, nyself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:16 pm
For me, I deleted stuff I wasn't supposed to delete - made my puter go boom. I've been wary of deleting stuff since then.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:36 am
Yeah - if you're not sure, its a good idea to seek advice. Still, I wouldn't worry too much; ain't real likely anything you can do with a mouse and keyboard is gonna result in sparks and smoke.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 06:05 pm
Not sparks and smoke, but the dreaded blue screen..... brrr.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 07:52 pm
With a simple registry tweak, you can make the dreaded blue screen any color you'd like better .... :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 09:20 pm
ah. thanks, that's good to know (rolls eyes).
0 Replies