What does Son of Man mean?

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 06:31 pm
Hi, When Jesus said he was the Son of Man...what did this mean? i'm abit confused by this statement...was he saying he was human, not divine?
Thanks!
Pxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,715 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 06:45 pm
Welcome to A2K, phoebe.

No, most theologians would not agree that he was saying "he was human, not divine." Jesus is usually seen as having a dual nature -- a human side as well as a divine side. The expression "son of man" simply refers to the fact that he was born of woman (Mary) and thus was subject to all the infirmities of a human, despite his divine nature. If this were not so, there could have been no suffering on the cross.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:56 am
Ah, but did he ever say he was the Son of God? And if he did, so what? aren't we all technically the Son of God? Wasn't Adam the Son of God?

Which makes me come on to the most disturbing thought of all... isnt' Eve the Daughter of God (sorry, the shift key on my keyboard isn't working that well)?

Doesn't that mean that Adam and Eve were in some kind of incestual relationship and even if they weren't, wouldn't that mean their children were in incestual relationships?
0 Replies

satya

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 02:14 pm
um, a fact that many people don't know is that "Son of Man" is actually the Aryan lineage...from Manu, the Aryan flood hero.

For example, in the Tactitus Germania, Germanic people trace their lineage from the sons of Manno --Inga, Ista and Hermin...

Aryan simply means a spiritual dragon slayer, it is a hero's lineage.

This is also where you get the word "Man" from...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:13 pm
That may all be true, satya. But the New Testament was written largely in Greek, transcribing what had been said, presumably, in Aramaic. While Greek is, indeed, an Indo-European language (Aryan=Indo-Ruropean), I don't believe that the expression "Son of Man" is meant as a pun on the ancient flood legend.
0 Replies

satya

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 06:33 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
That may all be true, satya. But the New Testament was written largely in Greek, transcribing what had been said, presumably, in Aramaic. While Greek is, indeed, an Indo-European language (Aryan=Indo-Ruropean), I don't believe that the expression "Son of Man" is meant as a pun on the ancient flood legend.

By this history, I am trying to say the "son of Man" is a heroic title even in the Bible.

and no Aryan is NOT indo-European, Greeks do not trace their descent from Man.

Only the Germanic tribes and a few Indic tribes trace their lineage from Man.

The easiest way to explain it is to say that the Aryans are the "chosen ones" of the Indo-Europeans like Jews are chosen ones amongst semites...
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:39 am
After taking French back in junior high, I've looked at it a little differently. If I'm holding my pen, it is "la plume de Jim", or literally, "the pen of Jim".

I interpret "the Son of Man" as "the member of the Trinity who is for the salvation of Man".
0 Replies

U2K

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 02:30 pm
The son of Man is Jesus, what is the meaning of the son of man, who knows. I havent looked into this, yet alone bother to know about it. I just know its JESUS, talking in the third person.
0 Replies

Rancid

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:52 pm
Quote:

After taking French back in junior high, I've looked at it a little differently. If I'm holding my pen, it is "la plume de Jim", or literally, "the pen of Jim".

I interpret "the Son of Man" as "the member of the Trinity who is for the salvation of Man".

I am the son of a man, does that make me part of the Trinity too?

The concept of a "Trinity" started way back in the ancient civilisations where people worshiped statues with three heads. The ancient Egyptians worshiped gods that had the face of a human, body of a horse, legs of a lion making up a 3 in 1 god. Christianity is just following the trend.

Roman emporer Constantine was the one who introduced the Trinity to christianity. After previous emporers (ie Nero) had failed to wipe out the christians by hunting them down and martyring them, Constantine came up with a better plan. He decided to unite the empire by combining the accepted religion at that time (sun worship) with christianity. He made up a bunch of Creeds (ie the Nicean Creed: http://momentin.com/charts/nicea.html) and demanded that the Christians adhere to them. Although some refused to defile their beliefs, most (after years of running and hiding) agreed to these new doctrines. Constantine himself was baptised and 'Christianity' as we know it was born. The simbol of the cross with a circle behind it represents the combination of sun worship with christianity. This simbol is seen on top of many churches today. A derivative of this is the ankh, a cross with a circle on top.

My point is... ITS ALL BS!
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 07:42 am
The Son of Man refers to the coming Messiah that the Jewish nation were to look foward to and worship, through the eyes of the prophet Daniel and his followers -- who were exiled in Babylon when the Babs conquered the Israelites:

"In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshipped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass
away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed."

-- Daniel 7.
0 Replies

puglia

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:02 pm
THE SON OF MAN IS A CODE, YESHUA WAS TRYING TO TELL US THAT WE ARE PART OF THE FATHER. THE CREATOR WANTED TO EXPERIENCE EVERYTHING HE HAS CREATED, THAT IS WHY WE ARE "VESSELS" THE COLLECTIVE OF ALL SOULS WILL EVENTUALLY RETURN TO THE CREATOR AFTER COMPLETION OF THE CYCLE. THAT IS ALSO WHY YESHUA SAYS" LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF?YOU ACTUALLY HAVE ALOT MORE OF A CONNECTION TO OTHERS THAN YOU CAN CONCEIVE IN A LIMITED HUMAN CAPACITY. LOOK INTO "ASCENSION"

YOU CAN NOT SEEK THE TRUTH UNLESS YOU OPEN YOUR MINDS.

YAH BLESS
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:58 pm
Puglia, welcome to a2k. I'm sure you have much to share but could you please share it without caps lock on? I have trouble reading things written all in caps. Thank you.

Dauer
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 04:39 pm
Biliskner wrote:
The Son of Man refers to the coming Messiah that the Jewish nation were to look foward to and worship, through the eyes of the prophet Daniel and his followers -- who were exiled in Babylon when the Babs conquered the Israelites:

"In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshipped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass

-- Daniel 7.

IMHO, I'd say that this is about right.
The moshiach (Jewish "messiah") was never about man being G-d.
The "messiah" is going to be human, just with a lot more spiritual oomph.
0 Replies

zog

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 09:42 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Ah, but did he ever say he was the Son of God? And if he did, so what? aren't we all technically the Son of God? Wasn't Adam the Son of God?

He may be Adam to you, but to us he will always be project 312A.
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 01:47 pm
Ya the "son of man" always confused me .... did god inject his semon into mother marry to get her knocked up with the savior? or was it the angel that gave her a heavenly banging.... because I hear if an angel has sexual intercourse with you, you are still considered a virgin!!! lol
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:23 pm
Phoebe, Jesus had to be a descendent of David in order to fulfill prophecy, although the source of the male DNA God used to impregnate Mary is not mentioned. God himself is not a descendent of David, so presumably he borrowed from someone who was, possibly Joseph. The whole virgin birth thing seems like a lot of trouble to go through, and for what?

----

Wolf, yes, Jesus claimed to be the Son of God. Interestingly, in Genesis the sons of God (presumably angels) married daughters of men. I guess God neglected to create any female partners for them.
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 12:01 am
heheheh I like making stupid little girls mad and have hissy fitsz.... jeeeeeze peatzs .... well in the immortal words of homer simpson I 'll say this at least... I DON'T EVEN BELIEVE IN JEEBUS!! and who ever herd of Pusalms? Razz
0 Replies

inner peace

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 03:02 am
Moishe3rd wrote:
Biliskner wrote:

-- Daniel 7.

IMHO, I'd say that this is about right.
The moshiach (Jewish "messiah") was never about man being G-d.
The "messiah" is going to be human, just with a lot more spiritual oomph.

so am I the messiah.... how exactly will we tell because I know that the only way we'll be able to pick him out is if he can fly Idea Razz
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 02:58 pm
inner-peace, where is the moshiach ever described as being able to fly? Here is a description of requirements:

http://www.kesser.org/moshiach/rambam.html

It sounds like you're thinking of the Christian idea of messiah. The Jewish idea of moshiach and Christian idea of messiah are quite different. For example, the Jewish moshiach does not die for the sins of mankind and is in no way divine, and cannot be determined until all of the prophecies have been fulfilled. That link covers it.

Dauer
0 Replies

puglia

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:55 am
dauer wrote:
inner-peace, where is the moshiach ever described as being able to fly? Here is a description of requirements:

http://www.kesser.org/moshiach/rambam.html

It sounds like you're thinking of the Christian idea of messiah. The Jewish idea of moshiach and Christian idea of messiah are quite different. For example, the Jewish moshiach does not die for the sins of mankind and is in no way divine, and cannot be determined until all of the prophecies have been fulfilled. That link covers it.

Dauer

Thank you.

I would like to discuss a few things regarding creation with you.
0 Replies