50 Years, MLK, and We Are Losing Ground

maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 10:08 am
@wmwcjr,
This is a provocative ideological thread with an extreme premise. The opening post posits that lynchings are being replaced by "executions by gun".

Yes, I am here to argue this ridiculous premise, and the divisive ideology behind it. Why are you are here, William?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 06:54 pm
maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 07:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
This is a tactic used by extreme ideologies on both sides.

The left posts videos of neo-nazis burning crosses. The right posts videos of "illegals" who committed brutal rapes.

Most white Americans, and even most conservative White Americans aren't neo-nazis. A few are. There are, in fact, very few undocumented immigrants who are rapists. A few are.

It is guilt by association.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:01 am
historical background . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/apr/26/lynchings-memorial-us-south-montgomery-alabama

It's too sickening for me to read because it's too close to home. I'm sure it would reduce me to tears. Just as there are Holocaust deniers, there are also those who deny the horrendous history of Jim Crow. This may be trite, but it's true: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 10:29 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Why are you are here, William?

I have a tendency to stick up for my friends when they are personally attacked by others. I once defended Finn against another member's false claim that he was a racist.

I shouldn't be here in the first place.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 10:40 am
@wmwcjr,
Your friend is claiming that people are being "executed" by guns today in a way that is comparable to lynching.

I don't think this is an appropriate comparison. Do you?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 10:43 am
I posted that last video just to see max piss on himself.

But the far right rabid among gun nuts, white power extremists and the like are responsible for a culture that more and more incites young white guys to take up their easily accessible guns and massacre people.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 04:01 pm
@maxdancona,
There are times when I don't know what to think about a lot of issues. As for this issue, I probably need more information. I do wonder what's going on when unarmed people are shot dead; but then again, what do I know? But I seriously doubt that people like Franklin Graham and Bill O'Reilly are really interested in finding the truth, whatever it may be. At any rate, I'm just a nobody who has no power over anyone; so, my opinion concerning any issue, whatever it may happen to be, is completely insignificant.
wmwcjr

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 04:27 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/26/lynchings-sadism-white-men-why-america-must-atone

maxdancona

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 04:30 pm
@wmwcjr,
In my opinion, it is not only ridiculous, but it is offensive comparing lynching with anything that is happening. You can read your own article about what lynching was like, it was barbaric beyond anything that is happening in the US today. To use it as a metaphor to make a modern partisan point is absurd. The articles you are posting make my point.

There are times when you push back on your own side. It is not a good thing when ideology is more important than facts or decency.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 04:53 pm
@wmwcjr,
Your article has lynchings at 48 a year. That misrepresents the facts.

Quote:
According to the Tuskegee Institute, 4,743 people were lynched between 1882 and 1968, including 3,446 African Americans. More than 85 percent of lynchings in the post-Civil War period occurred in the Southern states. Lynchings of African Americans were most frequent from 1890 to the 1920s, with a peak in 1892.

It looks like white people got lynched too. 1,297?
https://www.google.com/search?q=lynchings+by+year&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjB1frfg9naAhVD7oMKHc8fC6MQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1304&bih=671
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 05:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
The killing of black people is tossed off as 'one of those things.'

That's because they are killed in self defense when they try to murder police officers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 05:26 pm
What enables the cops and others to mow down and otherwise mistreat black Americans is the attitudes of whites, similar to certain ones posting on this thread. White society in general has yet to acknowledge guilt so cops and judges keep em coming. By the way, if lynching was the only way blacks were murdered, you might have a case of sorts for minimalizing the number, as if it was okay because they did not cross your threshold for what constitutes too many murders.
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 05:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
What enables the cops and others to mow down and otherwise mistreat black Americans is the attitudes of whites, similar to certain ones posting on this thread.

No one is mowing down black Americans. Police are merely defending themselves from people who try to murder them.

edgarblythe wrote:
White society in general has yet to acknowledge guilt so cops and judges keep em coming.

We have no guilt to acknowledge.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 05:39 pm
@oralloy,
Also oblivious to blame many of you.
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Since we are completely innocent of all blame, it is proper that we be oblivious to blame.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 02:37 pm
I wonder what little oralloy would have done if he had lived under Jim Crow. He talks incessantly about "civil rights" and guns. (I must say at this point, though, that I largely agree with him on that issue.) I wonder if he ever would have said anything about civil rights at a time when the U.S. Constitution was not extended to black Americans. Perhaps nothing?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 02:49 pm
coldjoint

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 02:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Seriously? Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 03:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, do you see why this is offensive? (Because you are doing the same thing.) Using horrible events from the past to push modern political issues doesn't do any good for anyone.

This is what political discourse has become in America; two sides... each completely sure they are absolutely right... accusing each other of the worse acts of barbarism in history. At some point, Americans are going to have to figure out how to share a country again and more importantly to solve common problems together.

https://i2.wp.com/www.stridentconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Abortion-holocaust.jpg?w=720&ssl=1