"Clean" out computer?

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:38 am
Very simple question...

My computer seems to be running a little slow lately. I'm not too keen on the technical stuf...what can I do to clean it out and make sure it's running correctly?

Mucho gracias, hombres and chicas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 973 • Replies: 15
No top replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:41 am
Delete cookies, history, temporary internet files, download Ad-aware if you don't have it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:46 am
Do you clean out your temporary internet files on a regular basis? If not, that would be the first place I would start.

In the browser tool bar click on tools, then internet options, then delete files, if it has a pop up asking if y ou want to delete offline files also, pick yes.
Timber has suggested before, that after you do this it is a good idea to empty your recycle bin.

If you are on A-O-hell you can get to you rinternet files through preferrances from the took bar, then select WWW icon..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 09:58 am
Slappy:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21111&start=0
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:02 am
then run defrag(ment); it's in the 'system tools' section under the 'start menu - programs'.

It will take a long time, but it cleans up the hard disc, and makes everything more efficient.

I also recommend Registry Mechanic, available to try from Cnet - downloads (utilities).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:18 am
BTW, A2K is running like a slug lately, so don't use this site to judge your own system.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:28 am
I agree. When I popped in this morning it was whizzing along. Later it seemed like it was trudging uphill at an 80 degree angle with a 200 pound backpadk
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:31 am
cjhsa

I keep thinking it's my computer, this has been going on since this weekend it seems.

I'm sure craven is working his little tail off.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:34 am
Thanks...
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 10:39 am
It has been really slow for me too! at home and at work, that is how I knew it wasn't my computer!
0 Replies

nightcrawler1

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 10:51 am
Try shuting down any resident non-essential programs type msconfig in the run menu and go to the startup tab to see what your running uncheck any that ar'nt needed
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 11:18 am
nightcrawler1 wrote:
Try shuting down any resident non-essential programs type msconfig in the run menu and go to the startup tab to see what your running uncheck any that ar'nt needed

Thanks, but I don't even know what most of those things are.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 11:24 am
Wow! Nightcrawler, I'm glad you showed up. What a great tip. I disabled tons of unnecessary start up programs...what a load of crap.
Thanks and welcome to A2K
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 04:15 am
msconfig is a great way for startup programs. Too bad some of those programs enable themselves again once you use them. I also switched to firefox about three months ago and now I don't have to deal with all the spam stuff.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:10 am
agreed. Firefox has virtually wiped out all the pop ups. Anybody know what find fast is and why it's in the start up menu?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 09:39 am
Wow nightcrawler
that was a great tip
thanks a bunch!
0 Replies