Feedback on.... conscript

rufio

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 04:06 pm
Figured this belongs here more than in the other languages forum. I'm making a conlang, and just uploaded the conscript for it to my blog. I know we're not supposed to post links, but it's a picture, and I don't know how to post those here. Anyway, if you click on my www button and look at the top post (Read the Rest), it should all be there.

So, is it cool, or what? My handwriting is crap, but it's better than my class notes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 594 • Replies: 6
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 05:27 pm
interesting...I'm not too familiar with conlang jargon and formal format so I'm not quite sure how to interpret your conscript...but you need a lot more to define a language..

to post images type [ img ] url [ /img ], without the spaces inside the brackets..that's standard UBB code which most forums use
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 05:58 pm
Ahh, of course. Yeah, it's not the whole language, but I've been trying tweaking the script for a while, and I figured it was probably something that most people could appreciate without me explaining about technical stuff like places of articulation and left/right branching and so forth.

Basically, each syllable goes like (vowel)(prefix)main(suffix), an each symbol is a syllable. The "main" consonant is one of the ones listed in the three lists at the top. The prefix can be l, r, n, or s, and the suffix can be l, r, j, or w. Then the vowel can be a, e, or y, long or short. So you combine the main consonant's shape with the prefix/suffix diacritics (markings), and the vowel in the middle. I know my handwriting's not the best...

Anyway.

http://photos4.flickr.com/4423834_732fab85b7.jpg

http://photos3.flickr.com/4423788_cadf1deef6.jpg

That one is a sample of it actually being written.

Edit: wrote 'r' as 't'. Whoops.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 07:41 am
Uhh, bump.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:29 am
so...each syllable is 3 letters and they cant share those letters with neighboring syllables making every word a multiple of 3 in length?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:40 pm
Each syllable is 1-3 "letters". It can be:

1. A single consonant.
2. Two consonants.
3. A consonant and a vowel (preceding)
4. Two consonants and a vowel (preceding both)

If it's at the end of a word, it can also (rarely) have a long vowel attached to the end of it. Also, if the first consonant is "s" than there can be a third consonant as well. So, up to four, really.

And no, the syllables don't share. Technically, though, in the orthography each syllable of 1-3 Roman letters is only one character, or letter.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 01:29 pm
Any other thoughts?
0 Replies