Fax program for Windows ME

jespah

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 08:57 am
This is a question I am asking on behalf of my father, so I am unsure of the particulars of his system. He has a laptop computer and is looking to make it his primary machine. He would like to have a fax program. Currently I think he's using something that came with Win 95 on his older machine but now he wants to make the full switch. I don't believe that the older program works with the newer ME device.

Plus he's looking for something free or as close to free as possible, so any suggestions of shareware or something that would only be paid for on a one-time basis would be the best.

Many thanks, in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,024 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 11:19 am
Hmm I guess there is no such thing. Oh, well.
0 Replies

Don77

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 02:04 pm
Hi jespah.
I m not at all fimiliar with these programs. So I have no opinion either bad or good or indifferent,

$20 close to free ?

Have a look
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:59 am
Windows 95 and 98/98SE shipped with Microsoft Fax, buried in the Add-Ons folder of the OS install disk. With ME, it was eliminated, and generally won't work reliably even if you can find it - in fact, it may cause system stability errors, so don't even go there. Its possible the computer's modem software bundle includes a fax utility; many do, but many don't. Its worth browsing the modem's install disk, if available, or visiting the modem vendor's website to see if a fax utility for that modem exists. A freeware 3rd party fax utility that works OK, even if it isn't very robust, is V3 Call Center. A $30 upgrade to the "Pro" version will get you more features, but the free version is adequate for simple send-and-receive stuff. Naturally, a modem connected to an active phoneline is gonna be necessary, and fax operations can be carried out only when the modem and phoneline are not otherwise in service, such as connected to The Web or conducting a voice call. There may be issues with call waiting, voicemail, and distinctive ring services; its best to turn them off, if you have them on your phoneline, while conducting phoneline fax operations. Instructions for de-activating/re-activating call waiting, voicemail, and/or distinctive ring services are available from your telephone service company - often printed in the front pages of your phonebook.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 12:12 pm
I had a fax-service with my old ME-computer for a couple of weeks. I used the fax program from the scanner, but we are now since 5 years on DSL ...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 05:57 am
I'll send all of these responses to my Dad. Thanks so much! :-D
0 Replies