Oz:Mentally ill woman wrongly locked up in detention centre

msolga

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:11 am
Perhaps we should look to other examples of people being treated in this sort of way, in past & more recent history, & call the perpetrators of these acts the name they deserve to be called, goodfielder? Sad
Not a nice feeling to be living in a country where such things happen, is it?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:58 am
Finally this story is on the front page of Oz newspapers! About time!:

http://www.theage.com.au/

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/

http://www.smh.com.au/am/2005/05/14/index.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 07:20 am
Today's AGE editorial:

The regrettable case of Vivian Alvarez Solon
May 14, 2005

The cases of Vivian Alvarez Solon and Cornelia Rau are unhappy addendums to the stories of those souls trapped in mandatory detention.

What happened to Vivian Alvarez Solon before she appeared at Lismore Base Hospital in 2001 is unclear. She was treated for serious injuries that afflict her still: she can walk with a crutch but often uses a wheelchair and the use of her fingers and one arm is limited. Sadly, her trauma also appears to have affected her memory: she says she wants to see her family but cannot remember who they are. This combination of physical weakness and mental confusion possibly explains how it is that Ms Alvarez Solon, a 42-year-old Australian citizen, accepted her fate: to live for four years among the dying at the Mother Teresa Missionaries of Charity hospice in the Philippines city of Olongapo.

How she came to be deported from Australia and separated from her children, one of whom has been in foster care for four years as a result, is a matter the Australian Government has yet to explain. Her story, as it has been reported so far, raises a number of questions. How is it that she was deemed to be an illegal immigrant three days after being listed as a missing person by Queensland police? What mechanism determined that this injured woman, with no known family or resources, should be handed over to Catholic nuns and how is it that, once she had been accepted into their care, the Australian Government was not able to find her? As long ago as August 2003, Queensland police realised Ms Alvarez Solon had been deported but authorities say they were not able to locate her in the Philippines.

Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone has pithily summed up Ms Alvarez Solon's history: "There's a woman who was clearly in need of help and who through, I think it's fair to say, no fault of her own ended up in an immigration detention facility and clearly didn't have the capacity to explain to people who she was. And that is a tragic situation."

It is important that the questions regarding Ms Alvarez Solon's deportation be answered, but the case also raises larger concerns. Like Cornelia Rau, the mentally ill Australian resident who was wrongly detained in the Baxter detention centre, when Ms Alvarez Solon came to the attention of the Immigration Department she was incapable of explaining herself and defending her rights. This inability has had tragic consequences, not only for her but for her children. The failure of authorities to provide proper care and protection for a woman who desperately needed their help is perhaps the most disturbing aspect of her story. When the Cornelia Rau case came to light, Prime Minister John Howard said he could not guarantee other Australians had not been wrongly detained by immigration authorities. Now that it has become apparent that Ms Rau was not an isolated case, the need for an open, public inquiry is even more pressing. Former Australian Federal Police commissioner Mick Palmer, who has been investigating the circumstances leading to Ms Rau's detention, has been asked to widen his inquiry after the Alvarez Solon revelations. But Mr Palmer's explorations will remain private, which they should not be. Mr Palmer does not have the power to subpoena witnesses and the people who do speak to him do not have legal protection. This necessarily limits Mr Palmer's effectiveness. Queensland Premier Peter Beattie said this week that a number of state public servants were reluctant to appear before Mr Palmer, fearing the legal consequences.

The inquiry as it stands appears expedient and so runs the risk of being dismissed as an empty political exercise. On the evidence so far, it seems that the Immigration Department has been unwilling to recognise the needs of the mentally ill, a failure from which tragic mistakes have flowed. A thorough and independent inquiry may go some way to explaining how and why this has come to be the case, and so be a catalyst for change.

The cases of Vivian Alvarez Solon and Cornelia Rau are unhappy addendums to the stories of those souls who are trapped in mandatory detention. As The Age has argued before, mandatory detention is a flawed policy that should be abandoned. Detainees are deprived of basic human rights and held in conditions that threaten their mental health. The Rau and Alvarez Solon cases suggest there may be an unhealthy link between mandatory detention and the department's failure to treat two confused and vulnerable women with simple kindness.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Editorial/The-regrettable-case-of-Vivian-Alvarez-Solon/2005/05/13/1115843369186.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:06 pm
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/05/14/150505_golding_gallery__550x431,0.jpg

The original I still call Australia home. In case you don't know it:

I've been to cities that never close down

From New York to Rome and old London Town

But I realise something I've always known,

I still call Australia home.

I'm always travelling - I love being free

And so I keep leaving the sun and the sea

But my heart lies waiting, over the foam

I still call Australia home.

All the sons and daughters, spinning 'round the world

Away from their family and friends

But as the world gets older, and colder

Its good to know where your journey ends.

And some day we'll all be together once more

When all the ships come back to the shore

And we'll realise something we've always known

We still call Australia home....sing along)

Sad
0 Replies

dmarcie

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:15 am
Wanna sign a petition?
http://www.safecom.org.au/royal-commission.htm

I know petitions don't make a huge difference but it will help with exposure. I've printed one - I think I'll write up a speech and ask for signatures at school... except there is so much to talk about my head's spinning! And it can't be too long.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 03:45 am
Good for you, dmarcie! What sort of a reaction have you gotten from school? (are you a teacher or student?) A very interesting link. Thank you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 03:49 am
Taxpayers facing hefty bill for Alvarez
May 16, 2005 - 7:24PM/the AGE

Taxpayers are facing a compensation bill of at least $1.5 million over the case of Philippines-born Australian Vivian Alvarez, amid suggestions that race was a factor in her wrongful deportation.

Solicitor Harry Freedman left Sydney for Manila to investigate Ms Alvarez's deportation four years ago and the possibility of a multi-million-dollar compensation claim.

Also on Ms Alvarez's legal team is former Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission president Justice Marcus Einfeld and Sydney solicitor George Newhouse, both of whom will remain in Australia.

Mr Freedman said it was possible Ms Alvarez was deported from Australia because she looked Filipina.

"At first blush and without being aware of all of the facts, it seems to me that an injured lady has been brought to the attention of our authorities and has been deemed to be in the country illegally," he said.

"And I can only assume and I don't have any facts ... that it's based on her physical appearance."

The former Queensland resident was discovered last week in a Catholic hospice run by nuns in the city of Olongapo, north of Manila, after being mistakenly deported to the Philippines four years ago.

She is now in Manila and has been reunited with some members of her family.

Mr Freedman said he had spoken with Ms Alvarez's brother Henry Solon in Brisbane and half-sister Cecile Solon in the Philippines about compensation, but said it was not uppermost in their mind at the moment.

He said he had no idea how much compensation was being sought but it was possible the amount could be up to $1,000 for each day of wrongful detention.

"I understand there have been cases where compensation for wrongful detention ... have resulted in payments around $1,000 ... per day of detention," Mr Freedman told ABC radio.

Labor's immigration spokesman Laurie Ferguson predicted Ms Alvarez would be entitled to a hefty payout and said the opposition would support a compensation claim.

"No way we can oppose it, quite frankly," he said.

"She was deported as an Australian citizen, there's no way she had the medical treatment she would have received in Australia, she's been isolated from all family, the government failed to do anything after the department became aware they deported her wrongly, you would think she's got to get a very sizable compensation claim."

The Immigration Department said it had made three compensation payments relating to wrongful detention since January 2003.

But two cases were confidential and the third was for $22,000 for an undisclosed period of time.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister John Howard left open the possibility of a royal commission into immigration detention in the wake of Ms Alvarez's case.

He urged the public to be patient for the outcome of a closed-door inquiry headed by former federal police chief Mick Palmer before any further decision was made.

"When we get Palmer's inquiry we'll see whether we should do anything further," he told Southern Cross radio.

"But you don't jump to a royal commission every time something gets on the front page of a newspaper."

Mr Howard said he was offended by claims racial discrimination was involved in the case.

"What I do reject is this insinuation that, in some way - it's just crept in to a couple of reports - she's in some way been discriminated against because she came from the Philippines," he said.

"That really is offensive to me and offensive to the minister."

© 2005 AAP
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 05:54 am
Philippines lashes out over Alvarez
May 17, 2005 - 7:59PM/SMH

The Philippines embassy has lashed out at the Australian government, blaming it for failing to lodge an official request that would have resulted in the immediate discovery of deported Australian woman Vivian Alvarez.

Angry embassy staff issued a two page statement titled "A diplomatic request would have produced better results" in response to reports a Philippines government agency failed to reply to an Australian request to find Ms Alvarez in 2003, and did not check its records about her arrival in the country. ..... <cont.>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Philippines-lashes-out-over-Alvarez/2005/05/17/1116095959455.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:28 am
Alvarez ends four-year silence with children
By Robert Wainwright
May 18, 2005 - 2:02PM/the AGE

Vivian Alvarez has spoken to her two children for the first time in more than four years, her lawyers revealed today.

Ms Alvarez, an Australian wrongly deported to the Philippines in 2001, spoke to her two sons - who are aged 16 and nine - by telephone earlier this week.

She has since met a legal team in Manila where she has been accommodated in a flat.

Both sons are understood to live in Queensland - the elder with his father, Ms Alvarez's former husband Robert Young, and the younger with a foster family who have been taking care of him since his mother disappeared on February 16, 2001.

Sydney solicitor George Newhouse, who held a press conference today, said the contact was brief but significant.

"Contrary to some media speculation, Vivian has spoken to both her children," he said.

Mr Newhouse said her medical condition was still being assessed, hampered by a lack of access to medical records.

"She is in pain and we are still doing tests," he said. "It could take some time.

~
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 09:36 am
Vanstone to vet Rau report before release
By Joseph Kerr
May 21, 2005/SMH

The Federal Government says it may not make public the full findings of the inquiry into the Cornelia Rau affair.

When the inquiry, headed by the former Australian Federal Police commissioner Mick Palmer, began in February the Immigration Minister, Amanda Vanstone, said it would be conducted privately, "with his findings to be released publicly".

However, Senator Vanstone said yesterday that when Mr Palmer's report on the Rau case, in which the mentally ill German-born Australian resident was detained for months by immigration officials, was given to her, she would review it to decide whether it should all be made public.... <cont>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Vanstone-to-vet-Rau-report-before-release/2005/05/20/1116533542584.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 09:50 am
Wishing and hoping and praying......
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 01:23 am
For .....? Confused
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 06:09 am
Alvarez may sue
May 22, 2005 - 2:43PM/the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/05/22/alva_wideweb__430x279,1.jpg
Australian woman Vivian Alvarez Solon, who was wrongly deported by the Australian Government.
Photo: Kate Geraghty

Wrongfully-deported Australian Vivian Alvarez may sue the federal government for compensation unless it offers suitable redress, her lawyers say.

Ms Alvarez's Sydney-based solicitor Harry Freedman, who today returned from Manila where he met the Philippines-born Ms Alvarez, said she wants to avoid taking the government to court but may do so "if it can't be avoided".

Mr Freedman, who has taken up Ms Alvarez Solon's case free of charge, is asking Canberra to provide an initial package to ensure her safe return within the next week, as well as temporary accommodation, financial assistance and medical care.

He said Ms Alvarez Solon's medical condition had improved in the last week, but she deserved some kind of compensation for pain and suffering and he hoped the government would make an adequate offer before the case got to court.
... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Alvarez-may-sue/2005/05/22/1116700584827.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 03:42 am
I was never mentally ill, says Rau
May 23, 2005 - 7:09PM/SMH

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/05/23/rau640x480_narrowweb__200x237.jpg
Cornelia Rau addresses the media in Adelaide today.

....The 39-year-old former Qantas flight attendant said she had been treated poorly by police and immigration authorities during nearly a year in detention.

She said she was not, and had never been, mentally ill.

"Compensation for this time would be very wise and very reasonable," Ms Rau told reporters in Adelaide, speaking with traces of both German and Australian accents.

She also wants an apology from Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone.

"It has been too gruelling an experience. It has been terrible," Ms Rau said.

"I have never been treated so unfairly in all my life.

"I was put into prison because I didn't have my passport on me.

"I couldn't get a lawyer there (in detention). I couldn't contact human rights groups like Amnesty.

"You are at the mercy of the government. You can't voice your opinion because there's nobody to talk to.

"I don't think Amanda Vanstone would have liked to be in my situation - she would have liked to have been able to contact a lawyer or contact somebody (while) in prison or, you know, been able to voice her opinion.".....

<complete article>
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/I-was-never-mentally-ill-says-Rau/2005/05/23/1116700645142.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:24 pm
Hmmmm - she's fruity as a nutcake, in my view.

Still wrongly imprisoned - but never mentally ill? Please.

Anyhoo - I suspect the government will rue the day they tangled with this woman - she has the tone of a person for whom this will become an absolute fixation - probably to her detriment.

Still - as I said - I hope this busts stuff wide open.

I just hope the poor bloody workers don't get crucified instead of the minister/government. That is what usually happens.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 01:44 am
Yes ... I heard the AM interview with her sister this morning. Apparently an ongoing rift with the rest of the family is due to Cornelia denying that she has any mental "condition" at all.

But, all that aside, it was an extrememely shabby way to treat a vulnerable person & I hope the government is forced to address this. Actually, if a person wasn't mentally ill to begin with, months/years in detention would do the job quite nicely! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 02:01 am
The word from Crikey! on Cornelia's press conference:

Behind the Rau press conference
By Christian Kerr

A disconcerted media pack fronted up to a press conference held yesterday by Cornelia Rau, the incapacitated Australian citizen illegally detained by DIMIA droogs in Baxter Detention Centre.

The Australian's report reflected the disquiet of many of the journalists present: "Highlighting the difficulty of the case, Ms Rau, in a rambling and at times incoherent press conference, claimed she did not suffer schizophrenia, and attacked the media for suggesting she did," wrote Andrew McGarry.

Other members of the fourth estate have not been so understanding. During her time at Glenside Hospital in Adelaide, which has open grounds, media representatives had to be removed. Rau's lawyer, Clare O'Connor, also has complained about a snatch photo of her client taken from a car.

Crikey understands that there has been deep concern over how to handle the media's legitimate interest in Cornelia Rau. Yes, she is news. But she has ongoing health issues and she also has rights - rights to privacy and rights to have a say in what she does.

Crikey understands that it was originally planned to hold a pooled media event for Rau, but that this collapsed due to opposition from Rau herself.

Her family and representatives, we understand, now hope that yesterday's presser has let the media see her - and her condition - and that they will not risk exacerbating it further by stalking her.

In my humble opinion this just reinforces my view that it was a scandal she was incarcerated in the first place. Surely it would have been quite clear that she was not 100% well at the time that she was detained? Why a detention centre & not a hospital? And why so long in a detention centre given her condition?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 02:06 am
Don't start me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 02:14 am
Oh, go on! ... rave, bunny, rave!
Say what you think should be said.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:06 pm
Last Update: Saturday, May 28, 2005. 10:50am (AEST)

Priest urges changes to detention.

Priest lobbies for privacy for detained women

A Christian priest has written to Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone asking her to help change the way female detainees at South Australia's Baxter detention centre are being treated.

Father Paul Bourke is a representative of the religious leaders who regularly visit the detention centre.

He is concerned that male officers in the centre can view female detainees from some isolation units while they are showering or going to the toilet.

The units include the one where Cornelia Rau was held.

The chair of the commission for Australian Catholic Women, Geraldine Hawke, has told ABC Radio's AM that Father Bourke wrote to Senator Vanstone last month.

She says the manager of the detention centre had told Father Bourke he could not promise the situation would change.

"The complete loss of dignity and the dehumanisation of that, I can't even begin to think how they must feel when that situation is allowed to happen in this place," she said.

Is there not a even a tiny bit of dignity allowed in these places?
0 Replies