• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 690 • Replies: 3
No top replies

husker

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 02:52 pm
I'm using a linux distribution called SuSE
Not doing much special with it, but it' pretty cool and user friendly.
0 Replies

mrhags

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 08:36 pm
By far superior to windows except for its horribly poor driver support but that will never get better, nor should it.

Its faster, open source, free.

Um..... Just cleaner, no microsoft stuff anywheres thats always nice....um not anything else i can really say thats bad about it.
0 Replies

Pinter

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 12:56 pm
I run a windows box, linux redhat and a Gentoo box. The linux boxes definetly cause me less stress in day to day maintenance. And yes they are fast are free! Most of the software you need for your day to day life on a windows box can be found for Linux machines as well such as office (just called OpenOffice.org instead) Drivers can cause some problems but only if you dont know what you are doing. If you really want to set up a good Linux box I suggest you go out and pick up the latest copy of Maximum PC. The February issue has a centre spread on how to set up your linux machine quite nicely and it tells you what you want to get before wiping your windows machine. Also you have the option of running two operatiing systems. In which case you either need partition magic 8 (allows you to partition space off of an already partitioned drive) or you need a freshly formated drive with X space for windows and X space for linux. When you install; i find it easier to install windows first then your linux OS because the linux ones often allow you to set up a boot selection of which OS you want to use and a default (ex. it will go into windows if you touch nothing for 30 seconds or if you hit an arrow key linux will boot, good because you can start up and walk away, or wait 5 seconds hit the boot selection then walk away) I feel most of my info is accurate and correct but if not, please let me know, this is only my 3rd post on my second thread. (new to the whole forum thing)
0 Replies