To Keanu, or not to Keanu???

MzDaizy

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 11:13 am
I'm actually really surprised that nobody has started a thread on the many acts of this surfer, er I mean, actor, yet. So, any thoughts on Keanu? Does anybody out there actually enjoy his films?

My personal opinion? He should have stayed on the set of Breaking Point. Forever.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,822 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Don1

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 11:59 am
He has done extremely well for himself and good luck to him, but personally I don't think he could act his way out of a paper bag.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 12:09 pm
We've had numerous discussions about Keanu.
0 Replies

MzDaizy

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 12:44 pm
But I haven't, I want to know what people think...It's okay if nobody answers...Just a thought
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 12:47 pm
He was great as Bill.. or was it Ted?

<shrugs shoulders and walks away>
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 12:57 pm
I really liked him in Little Buddha. His lines were minimal.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 04:33 pm
I thought "Speed" and "Matrix" were good. I also liked "Little Buddha" and his lines weren't that minimal.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 04:35 pm
Decent theatre actor. I don't really 'get' him in film. I might if he were ever placed in a good serious film.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 04:46 pm
Wasn't he in that movie with Tracy Ullman where they kept trying to kill Kevin Klien? It might have been called "I Love You To Death".

That movie was hilarious!
0 Replies

VooDoo

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:10 pm
Re: To Keanu, or not to Keanu???
MzDaizy wrote:
So, any thoughts on Keanu? Does anybody out there actually enjoy his films?

I do enjoy Keanu, though, for rather ignominious reasons. Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 10:14 pm
He's a cutie, no doubt. no doubt.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 11:07 am
"My Own Private Idaho" was post "Point Break" and Reeves delivered an excellent performance. His later choices in films has been perhaps predictable, cashing in on his looks but not giving much opportunity for acting. He may get his chance and changed his tune about what parts he's taking in Spike Lee's upcoming "The Night Watchman." He may be getting tired of the roles like the stoic superhero in "The Matrix." I also enjoyed his appropriately comic suave performance in "Much Ado About Nothing."
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:10 pm
I liked "The Watcher", I think it was different, didn't think he will be the bad guy in that movie, plus in The Gift, Johnny Mnemonic, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Devil's Advocate, ... I guess I just like his work! Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 03:12 pm
matrix movies. that's about it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:26 pm
"The River's Edge" was one of his early films of the over fifty (link*) he's acted in and he was very good in that movie . I suppose because of the wild popularity of "The Matrix" films he is now tied to the series and he's been in his share of not-so-great movies of which most of them have been listed here.

*Link:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000206/
0 Replies

corgilover44

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 04:16 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
" I also enjoyed his appropriately comic suave performance in "Much Ado About Nothing."

I saw that too and thought he was pretty good in it. Being a villain suits him.

Has anyone ever seen Johnny Memnonic? Good movie starring Keanu if you like the sci fi scene. I saw Constantine lately too. A bit of a let down if you read the book that's out. They cut some of the good scenes.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 09:17 am
Lightwizard wrote:
"My Own Private Idaho" was post "Point Break" and Reeves delivered an excellent performance.

Maybe we didn't see the same "My Own Private Idaho." I thought Reeves's performance was laughably bad -- pretty much like all of his other performances except for "Bill and Ted," where Reeves essentially played himself.
0 Replies

Alatriel

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 03:28 am
i love keanu.. i know many dislike his acting but i think that Speed and Matrix is certainly worth watching.. btw, Constantine is interesting..

p/s: forget about the original comic cos it's an adaptation; and try not to question about the made-up-stuff in there.. sometimes. for some reasons they are there for good
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:02 am
As my daughter says, he has one facial expression and one manner of standing, as does Tom Cruise.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:27 pm
plainoldme wrote:
As my daughter says, he has one facial expression and one manner of standing, as does Tom Cruise.

Thank you. Thank you! You can slip Tom Cruise quite comfortably into this topic. My problem with these actors is with their limited range of emotion, really. (Though, Tom "The Smirker" Cruise gets the nod here because his facial expression requires more muscle than Keanu "The Stoner" Reeves'.) While both have been triumphant in a number of roles, a great deal of the credit has belonged to casting.

There are certainly exceptions to the rule, but getting too cozy with your status as a sex symbol sure takes a toll on your development as an actor. If you look at the trajectory of Jeff Spicoli compared to Theodore "Ted" Logan and Joel Goodson you've got to wonder where the difference lies.
0 Replies