Literature that changed your life?

Ionesco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:34 am
shepaints wrote:
The Second Sex by Simone De Beauvoir......my
intro to feminism!

Simone, Simone, Simone! I like her a lot, even if I dislike her (or one of her) husband, Jean-Paul Sartres!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 03:02 am
Hi, Ionesco. They never married, you know - nor do I think de Beauvoir married anyone else.

Why do you dislike Jean-Paul? And like de Beauvoir?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 03:04 am
Oh - loved your Rhinoceros, by the way.

Can you tell us more about Lautréamont?
0 Replies

Ionesco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:44 pm
dlowan wrote:
Hi, Ionesco. They never married, you know - nor do I think de Beauvoir married anyone else.

Why do you dislike Jean-Paul? And like de Beauvoir?

Oups, I though they were married, I guess they were just togheter. I like Simone de Beauvoir because she brough fresh air in feminism and in the intellectual circles in general. I dislike Sartres because I do not like his style of writing, I dislike existantialism (I guess that me being a huge surréalist head doesn't help), I think he has a big head (thinks too much of himself), and I hate the fact that he supported blindly uncle Stalin, even if he knew what was really going down in Stalinist Russia, while other writers (Ionesco f.e.) stood up against it.

Lautréamont is the man that changed modern writing the most, according to André Breton (the pope and co-founder, with Soupault, of surréalisme). Lautréamont is basically what helped the surréalist movement to find itself. He wrote Les Chants de Maldoror, but did not write much because he died at the age of 24. He writes a style of dark poetry, often very raw, but not in poems, but in short interconnected, short-story type of poems. He is a Poète Maudit (a damned poet?, not in the pejorative way), and I would compare him with Rimbaud, Cros, and Corbièere. I checked on the internet, and it has been translated in english. I strongly suggest to anyone to read it, especially if your interested in french litterature.
0 Replies

Ionesco

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:47 pm
dlowan wrote:
Oh - loved your Rhinoceros, by the way.

Can you tell us more about Lautréamont?

Rhinocéros is awsome, on of my favourite plays of all time.
0 Replies

DJPrecocious

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 12:20 pm
I'd have to go with 1984. That book really really bchanged my outlook on life. It's amazing. So did farenheit 451, but not as much.
0 Replies

K-

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 09:29 am
No book has ever truly changed my life; though, by contrast, I've never engaged a piece of literature that hasn't nurtured the substance of my psychological terrain in some way, even if I disliked it.

I think it's difficult for anybody's life to be changed by a book. The parameters of our lives are fairly regiment, all things considered, and inspiration -- at least for me -- tends to ultimately prove little more than a brief, if pretty, firework. It's more the way the ashes fall and settle that define the underlying landscape, ultimately. I mean, sure, Netochka Nezvanova or The Death of Ivan Ilyich can move me to tears and rattle up my whole day, maybe even week; but in the end, I'm pretty much doing the same **** afterwards that I was before. Influences initially perceived to be positive may become negative once contextualized by ensuing pursuits, and vice versa.

De Sade's Juliette supplemented by Georges Bataille's Story of the Eye probably together represent the closest literature came to altering me into something other than what I was going in. Most other books simply helped chart out certain areas of self-understanding, provided a roundabout education regarding common philosophical constructs, supplied second-hand referential information about certain eras of history or culture, and/or just managed to evoke a really great story, on their own entirely fictional and dramatic terms.

On a personal level, I think I probably gleaned the most from Dostoyevsky's Notes from Underground, while Kafka's The Metamorphosis was most significant in terms of introducing me to the potential of literature in general. Cormac McCarthy's work -- specifically Child of God, The Orchard Keeper, Outer Dark, and Blood Meridian -- had the biggest impersonal impact on me, giving more shape to my expectations regarding literary craft.

0 Replies

ronrocks92

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 02:43 pm
I would have to say Artemis Fowl. It made me look at things in a new perspective!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 03:13 pm
DJPrecocious wrote:
I'd have to go with 1984. That book really really bchanged my outlook on life. It's amazing. So did farenheit 451, but not as much.

Welcome DJPrecocious - sorry, I didn't see you there before.

Can you comment more about how Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 have made a difference?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 03:27 pm
Re: .
K. wrote:
No book has ever truly changed my life; though, by contrast, I've never engaged a piece of literature that hasn't nurtured the substance of my psychological terrain in some way, even if I disliked it.

I think it's difficult for anybody's life to be changed by a book. The parameters of our lives are fairly regiment, all things considered, and inspiration -- at least for me -- tends to ultimately prove little more than a brief, if pretty, firework. It's more the way the ashes fall and settle that define the underlying landscape, ultimately. I mean, sure, Netochka Nezvanova or The Death of Ivan Ilyich can move me to tears and rattle up my whole day, maybe even week; but in the end, I'm pretty much doing the same **** afterwards that I was before. Influences initially perceived to be positive may become negative once contextualized by ensuing pursuits, and vice versa.

De Sade's Juliette supplemented by Georges Bataille's Story of the Eye probably together represent the closest literature came to altering me into something other than what I was going in. Most other books simply helped chart out certain areas of self-understanding, provided a roundabout education regarding common philosophical constructs, supplied second-hand referential information about certain eras of history or culture, and/or just managed to evoke a really great story, on their own entirely fictional and dramatic terms.

On a personal level, I think I probably gleaned the most from Dostoyevsky's Notes from Underground, while Kafka's The Metamorphosis was most significant in terms of introducing me to the potential of literature in general. Cormac McCarthy's work -- specifically Child of God, The Orchard Keeper, Outer Dark, and Blood Meridian -- had the biggest impersonal impact on me, giving more shape to my expectations regarding literary craft.

Welcome, K - same apology to you!

Hey - someone "got" the question at last, and didn't just tell me what they like!

The thing I wonder about is if good literature (and some bad, probably) gives us an insight into the aching subjectivity of others, and some sort of experience of people from different cultures and backgrounds, that makes it easier for us to have some sensitivity and empathy for others?

I think of the myths and legends of all countries that I read systematically as a little girl, and also the books about people from Jewish backgrounds, China, Japan, Australian Aboriginal, African-American, Arab and so on and on, which I devoured at the same time. They made me, from a very early age, very shocked and distressed if I heard people making racist remarks, for instance. Also, reading from the point of view of homosexual people meant, I think, that I never fell for homophobia - though there is the chicken and egg question.....

Reading history and biographies and auto-biographies also give wonderful insights into other times and places - I think of Gorky's trilogy, for instance - and just the experience of seeing just HOW differently people from other cultures and times see things gives, I think, a realization of just how contingent and relative our own views are.

I do wonder if these are civilizing influences??????? I am very tentative about this....

Your metaphor of the ashes is wonderful.

Can you speak more of positives that became negative?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 03:29 pm
ronrocks92 wrote:
I would have to say Artemis Fowl. It made me look at things in a new perspective!

Hi Ronrocks.

What about Artemis Fowl? What new perspective?
0 Replies

K-

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 03:02 pm
Re: .
dlowan wrote:

It's difficult to provide specific examples; part of my point is that it's all too relative and abstract to make those kinds of judgement calls on. Mostly it's a matter of cycling through vantage points. If you look at a building from the inside, then look at it from the outside, then look at a blueprint or floor plan, the object of your attention is the same in each instance, but what you're seeing in each is completely different. None of the vantage points are invalid; and how useful or informative the vantage point might be depends on what you're looking for, and why.

To me, a subject like, say, morality - metaphysically speaking - is entirely nonsensical when taken beyond the purely pragmatic. Even a pragmatic discussion of the subject will be rife with baseless assumptions, but at least the substance of the discussion can roughly orient itself around (and begin to adhere itself to) a plan of action in regards to a specific set of circumstances - and in this sense, "human purpose" can be manufactured out of thin air. Which is kind of neat, if you can come to terms with the "thin air" part - the underlying emptiness - and structure your psychology into circuits that remain unthreatened by that vacuum.

K.
0 Replies

ronrocks92

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:48 pm
dlowan wrote:
ronrocks92 wrote:

Hi Ronrocks.

I would say the whole mystery about Artemis Fowl(From the crimes he commits, to the characters he meets) is exciting! The perspective of how his butler looks at things, totally differs from Artemis's view of things(that should answer your question of how I looked at things in a new perspective.)!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:15 pm
Just dropping by to tell you how much i enjoy your thread, Our Dear Wabbit, Ozzian lapine that you be . . .

I understand how a comparison of points of view in a work of fiction can change one's personal outlook, as Ronrocks refers to in that post. In Golding's Inheritors, there is a scene in which one more or less adult member of the band central to the story (usually considered by literary critics to be Neanderthalis about to have a disasterous encounter with Cro Magnon--but i don't know if Golding has ever said as much), is sitting on a ledge above the band, and speaks to one member of the band. He is puzzled at getting no response. Then he gestures at several members, and getting no response, falls to cogitating. Then he has "an epiphany" in realizing that he can see these people who are virtually a part of himself, but that they are unaware of his existence.

Reading the passage, which has always stuck with me more than any other passage of the book, set me to consider a theme which has never left, which is to wonder about and attempt to discover the process by which "knowledge" comes to people. To my mind, an "intuitive flash" is simply an honest way of describing things which happen in our brains of which we are unaware. The pieces fall in place, so to speak, and at some point we stumble over the mosaic and see it for what it is.

Inheritors is a difficult book to read--it must have been a monumental task to have written--but it is rewarding for the very exercise of stepping out of your perceptions to attempt to understand the perceptions of others.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 06:15 am
Setanta wrote:
Just dropping by to tell you how much i enjoy your thread, Our Dear Wabbit, Ozzian lapine that you be . . .

I understand how a comparison of points of view in a work of fiction can change one's personal outlook, as Ronrocks refers to in that post. In Golding's Inheritors, there is a scene in which one more or less adult member of the band central to the story (usually considered by literary critics to be Neanderthalis about to have a disasterous encounter with Cro Magnon--but i don't know if Golding has ever said as much), is sitting on a ledge above the band, and speaks to one member of the band. He is puzzled at getting no response. Then he gestures at several members, and getting no response, falls to cogitating. Then he has "an epiphany" in realizing that he can see these people who are virtually a part of himself, but that they are unaware of his existence.

Reading the passage, which has always stuck with me more than any other passage of the book, set me to consider a theme which has never left, which is to wonder about and attempt to discover the process by which "knowledge" comes to people. To my mind, an "intuitive flash" is simply an honest way of describing things which happen in our brains of which we are unaware. The pieces fall in place, so to speak, and at some point we stumble over the mosaic and see it for what it is.

Inheritors is a difficult book to read--it must have been a monumental task to have written--but it is rewarding for the very exercise of stepping out of your perceptions to attempt to understand the perceptions of others.

Glad you are enjoying it, Set! It HAS been a stayer....

That Golding awareness of "otherness" moment is an astounding act of imagination - the kind of thing it is wonderful to read about...and hence experience.

I asked a while back, on a thread, about the joy of those "epiphany" moments - and what it was about - and discovered (independently of the thread) that there is a chemical/neurological buzz thing which gets released when we do that - have an "aha" moment. Come to think of it, lots of those moments occur in literature, don't they? Either vicariously, through the character's realizations - or via our own experiences in the reading.

I can recall, when reading Mary Renault's "The King Must Die" as a little kid having a religious epiphany of sorts. Many of her books are set in ancient Greece (I am almost sure you must know them) - though this one is set in the time of a putative historical Theseus. Anyway, as so often in her books, this one is told in the first person - through the Theseus character. At various times she enters what she reconstructs of his religious experiences - and she does so with such convincingness that the reader enters into them also. At least I did.

When I came out of the book, I realized that believers in the Greek gods must have had the same level of conviction about them as christians do about their (then my) god. This opened up the relativity of religious belief to me - and how it is all just belief - which changes from era to era. I believe that is when I began not to believe....

K. wrote:
dlowan wrote:

It?s difficult to provide specific examples; part of my point is that it?s all too relative and abstract to make those kinds of judgement calls on. Mostly it?s a matter of cycling through vantage points. If you look at a building from the inside, then look at it from the outside, then look at a blueprint or floor plan, the object of your attention is the same in each instance, but what you?re seeing in each is completely different. None of the vantage points are invalid; and how useful or informative the vantage point might be depends on what you?re looking for, and why.

To me, a subject like, say, morality ? metaphysically speaking ? is entirely nonsensical when taken beyond the purely pragmatic. Even a pragmatic discussion of the subject will be rife with baseless assumptions, but at least the substance of the discussion can roughly orient itself around (and begin to adhere itself to) a plan of action in regards to a specific set of circumstances ? and in this sense, ?human purpose? can be manufactured out of thin air. Which is kind of neat, if you can come to terms with the ?thin air? part ? the underlying emptiness ? and structure your psychology into circuits that remain unthreatened by that vacuum.

K.

Do you think literature helped you become aware of the underlying vacuum, or shaped your circuits?

ronrocks92 wrote:
dlowan wrote:
ronrocks92 wrote:

Hi Ronrocks.

I would say the whole mystery about Artemis Fowl(From the crimes he commits, to the characters he meets) is exciting! The perspective of how his butler looks at things, totally differs from Artemis's view of things(that should answer your question of how I looked at things in a new perspective.)!

Note to self - "read Artemis Fowl".....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 06:34 am
as the story goes (how I heard it) william golding, while walking across a bridge over the Thames, spotted albert einstein coming across the same bridge from the other direction, and as they recognized each other, paused as they approached but lacked linguistic compatability, golding simply pointed down towards the river and said "fish", to which einstein responded "ya, ya, fish" and they continued on each's way across the bridge. (they never met again)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 06:43 am
As you do....
0 Replies

K-

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:04 am
re
dlowan wrote:
Do you think literature helped you become aware of the underlying vacuum, or shaped your circuits?

Indirectly, it probably nurtured my sense of it -- shaped the circuits to some degree, maybe, but also gave dimension to my sense of them as "mere" circuits. I don't know that it made me become aware of the underlying vacuum, in and of itself. Tough to say. What do you think about it, for your own part? I'd probably say I began seeking out certain kinds of literature because of my perception that that literature dealt with issues relating to a particular sense of and suspicion about reality that was already pregnant in me. (Fuel for the engine, as opposed to the engine itself, if you will.) More interestingly, one wonders where that initial sense might come from. Am I just a malcontent? Social upbringing? Noble affinity for the truth? Willfully blind to the obvious reality of a loving Judeo-Christian God because there's Evil in my heart? Who knows. The more socially and emotionally isolated you are -- can we argue this enhances or detracts from your capacity to accurately perceive reality? Many would argue "detracts," but it seems to me that swimming in a river isn't necessarily the way to best perceive how a river operates.

Surely, everyone is subject to a certain amount of cultural brainwashing. The human mind has to work within the context and parameters it's given - so I'm prone to assume there a lot it can't "see" at all, and a lot it can only see through the unique refractions of its own specific and conditioned intellectual lens.
0 Replies

Zxincubus

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 12:50 am
Small Gods. I can't really think of exactly how now Embarrassed But I will post here if I do.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 09:41 pm
Zxincubus wrote:
Small Gods. I can't really think of exactly how now Embarrassed But I will post here if I do.

Hmmm - Small Gods is in "to be read" list - which is, sadly, several thousand books long.

I heard a most fascinating interview with the writer some time ago - which bumped it up quite a bit.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on it later. When you summon them!

K. wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Indirectly, it probably nurtured my sense of it -- shaped the circuits to some degree, maybe, but also gave dimension to my sense of them as "mere" circuits. I don?t know that it made me become aware of the underlying vacuum, in and of itself. Tough to say. What do you think about it, for your own part? I?d probably say I began seeking out certain kinds of literature because of my perception that that literature dealt with issues relating to a particular sense of and suspicion about reality that was already pregnant in me. (Fuel for the engine, as opposed to the engine itself, if you will.) More interestingly, one wonders where that initial sense might come from. Am I just a malcontent? Social upbringing? Noble affinity for the truth? Willfully blind to the obvious reality of a loving Judeo-Christian God because there?s Evil in my heart? Who knows. The more socially and emotionally isolated you are ?- can we argue this enhances or detracts from your capacity to accurately perceive reality? Many would argue ?detracts,? but it seems to me that swimming in a river isn?t necessarily the way to best perceive how a river operates.

Surely, everyone is subject to a certain amount of cultural brainwashing. The human mind has to work within the context and parameters it?s given ? so I?m prone to assume there a lot it can?t ?see? at all, and a lot it can only see through the unique refractions of its own specific and conditioned intellectual lens.

Hmmm - your post made me think for a long time. About the underlying vacuum - cos I have (as with many things) - a paradoxically comfortably in situ contradictory set of "beliefs" (more properly, I think, feelings) about it. (I suspect part of the comfort with holding paradoxical beliefs is intellectual laziness, but prefer to call it openness and tolerance of ambiguity.)

The vacuum - and realisation - hmmm - I wrote about that earlier in the thread - the moment when I realised that different theologies (in this case the Greek gods) were equally fervently embraced by their adherents as the "right" one - the one I was swimming in at the time, as a small child - and that this meant they were all equally fallible - and therefore none of them was likely to be true.

So literature DID move that one along - but I do not know that it was furthered by literature, as such - well, perhaps it was, cos I re-embraced Christianity at about 12 - and turfed it a year later - after reading "The Way of all Flesh" and Vidal's "Julian" - but that would have happened anyway - the embracing was a symptom of the incipient turfing.

By the time I read the absurdists and such, 'twas all over bar the shouting.

But now, I mostly have an underlying sense of meaning - and value - about life - which I maintain a meta-awareness of as quite likely to be avoidance, having gazed into the abyss and looked away - at the same time as I half regard it as constructed in full awareness of and in the face of the abyss.......and then, sometimes, I am a Buddhist!!!

So - I am saying fuel for the engine, I guess - but - I do believe literature can be a brilliant additive which makes the fuel far mor efficient in moving the engine along quickly.

And we being social animals, the sharing of the community of minds is a wonder, I believe.
0 Replies