Literature that changed your life?

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:47 pm
@Setanta,
Synchronicity strikes deep in the heartland!
georgeob1

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:54 pm
@Setanta,
Well that pleases me a lot Setanta - to learn that you remember it too. It must be a little known poem. It can't be found in the leading anthologies of Lowell's works today, but it is his. I still have the dog eared volume my Dad gave me when he had me memorize it.

On the opposite page of the volume was Longfellow's "Wreck of the Hesperus". I never figured out what the hell it meant, but the last lines always left me with a sombre sense of dread....

"Christ save us from a death like this
On the reef of Norman's woe"
georgeob1

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:55 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Synchronicity strikes deep in the heartland!

Well, I always figured that, despite all the irritability, Setanta was worth a ****.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:59 pm
I've read a few of Hesses's novels, I really liked Glass Bead Game.
dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:48 pm
@georgeob1,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreck_of_the_Hesperus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A24370337

Might help?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:54 pm
@dyslexia,
I loved Steppenwolf.

You're inspiring me re Glassbead Game

0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:01 am
@dlowan,
Bookmarking
0 Replies

van anh

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 10:09 pm
@dlowan,
Reading books is one of my favorite activities. I usually read fictions. there are many books that impress me. some of them are : NOBODY'S BOY( Hector Malot), ROBISON CRUSOE(Daniel Defoe) and CHILDHOOD( Maxim Gorki). they praise man's love, humanity and will. some other interesting books on economics and the world are RICH DAD POOR DAD, FLAT WORLD. Have you ever heard about them?
0 Replies