Trees and Power Lines

gollum

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 06:35 pm
Is there any prohibition on the planting of a tree that when grown could fall on a power line?

Is there any requirement to trim or chop down a tree that could fall and interfere with a power line?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 822 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 07:26 pm
@gollum,
Our electric co-op has recently hired a large tree removal service to go through the county and clear all trees on peoples' property that pose a threat to power lines. And it is free.
gollum

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 08:10 pm
@Glennn,
Glenn-

Thank you.

Where do you live?

What is an "electric co-op"? An electricity generating company owned by the same parties that are its customers? Is is a private or a governmental organization? Does the co-op ask permission of the property owner or not?
Glennn

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2018 10:35 pm
@gollum,
I could tell you where I live, but then I'd have to kill you and delete this post.

Yes, it is owned by the same parties that are its customers.

They will come and tell you that they plan to take down trees that pose a potential threat to their lines. I've lived in the same house for the past thirty years and this is the first time they've done something like this.
gollum

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 07:55 am
@Glennn,
Glenn-

Thank you.

P.S. - I don't perceive what danger or cost you would bear if I learned in which city and State you live or even which co-op you are a member of. However, I do accept your right to withhold that information from me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 07:59 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
Is there any prohibition on the planting of a tree that when grown could fall on a power line?

I doubt it. But I suppose it depends on what regulations your local government has passed.

gollum wrote:
Is there any requirement to trim or chop down a tree that could fall and interfere with a power line?

Back when I was a teenager the power company notified my neighborhood that they would be poisoning any trees by the road that threatened their power lines.

If we wanted to trim trees or chop them down ourselves, we were free to do so before they came through and dispensed the poison.

Back in the woods on our property a few small trees had started to grow under the power lines by the road, and my parents cut them down in order to prevent poison being dumped there.
gollum

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2018 09:03 am
@oralloy,
oralloy-

Thank you.

That is excellent. I wonder in what States and localities the utility is permitted to take such action.
0 Replies