gollum

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 12:48 pm
The City is ordering people in certain areas to evacuate. If a person stays in his apartment, what physical risk might occur to him?

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 02:00 pm
@gollum,
OBVIOUS DANGERS: Broken windows from flying objects. Trees can still fall onto roofs and walls.

Depending on the severity of the flooding and wind speed/strength, buildings still can collapse crushing anyone inside.

Damage to the infrastructure of the neighborhood: loss of electricity. Loss of water pressure might lead to running out of drinking water. Loss of water pressure plus floods plus wind plus electricity (to those areas still might have it) might cause fires to break out. No pressure means no water for the firefighters to put out the blaze.

Or replace electricity from that last scene with a broken gas main or line. Equals same possible consequence.

Damage and looting to grocery stores plus flooded roads means running out of food if the flooding lasts longer then a few days.

I can go on. Many scenarios involve placing law enforcement and other emergency personnel lives at unnecessary risk because they have to save someone's ass for being arrogant and staying in the mandatory evacuation zones when they've been ordered to leave.
gollum

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 02:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan-
Thank you.

I live on the 15th floor of a brick building. I guess there is risk in all things, but I don't think there is a reasonable possibility of my being harmed.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 02:08 pm
@gollum,
Do whatever the rest of the neighbors in the building and neighborhood are doing. If most of them are leaving, why stay?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 02:09 pm
@gollum,
If you don't consider having long delays or no help from police or fire department as an important downside of the risk, then by all means stay.

For me losing power and having no elevator and having to climb the 15 flight of stairs is a huge deterrent.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 03:02 pm
@gollum,
Just make sure you have ALOT of drinking water and provisions. Like Ragman said. Walking up and down 15 flights will be challenging if you have to go to the store (postpower outage) and that's if any store is still open to serve the public.

I wish you good luck. I don't think anything will happen this weekend here in NYC. Just keep your finger's crossed anyway.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 03:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
you should get a duck...
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 04:25 pm
@gollum,
Ask anyone that was in Katrina that was told to leave and didn't.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 05:52 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

you should get a duck...

(((scratches head and wonders, 'what I missed...')))
Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 07:44 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think a duck would make a perfect hurricane companion.

you never see flocks of deceased ducks after a storm. they must have good storm sense...

and if you want to go out, they can swim.

and they don't mind getting wet.

and who's to say that if you have a duck in your apartment, that you would have time to worry about that silly old storm, anyways.

also, if necessary, ducks are tasty in orange sauce...
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 07:51 pm
@Rockhead,
A duck would make a good friend and companion as well as much needed emergency supply of protein in case of desperate times.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 07:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
if you think you're gonna hafta eat him, don't name him.

it's just not as tasty if you do...
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 07:54 pm
@Rockhead,
Could I just name him or her Orange?
Rockhead

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 07:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Peking would be my naming suggestion.

also, try to get one that doesn't sound like gilbert gottfried
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2011 08:02 pm
Ducks are also good home protectors. Sometimes better than dogs, since they don't bark incessantly at dogs in the alley. At least our neighbor's duck, Foxy, only quacked at alley humans, which can be useful.
0 Replies