Would God exsist without us?

material girl

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:24 am
I read the beginning of the Bible once.I can remember it saying that people lived until they were about 400 years old.
It would be so cool if they did but im just amazed by which bits of the Bible people believe in and which they choose to ignore.

There was also a bit in it where 2 daughters willingly got pregnant by their dad because he had no sons to carry on the family line.That to me wreeks of incest except i cant remember ever being told about it.

Im not patronising 'weak' people but its quite disturbs me that reality isnt enough for them to be comforted by.Not all the world is bad.
Yes, if there is no-one else to turn to by all means go to a 'God' but I think the Bible is picked at, depending on what lessons are trying to be taught.Other parts seem to be discarded.

Im sure im going to go to hell for what I just wrote.Im actually scared now.Eek!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:59 am
Not in defence of the bible ONE BIT.... ( i dont believe inthe bible at all myself ... BUT) .. there is a possibility that humans lived past a hundred years at one time.
Think about it...
several hundred, ahh hell.... several THOUSAND years ago, the air was still pure, not clouded with pollution. Water was clean and clear, no additives, trash, decay from pollution etc..
Food was abundant, cars were no where around so walking and other forms of excersize were NOT considered excersize, but manditory to survive..
Walking to the stream, hauling buckets of water, running after foods, climbing trees etc.. all of that was daily life.
humans were very healthy before we started developing certain types of technology that made us lazy and increased the amounts of pollution to the point where theentire earth is now destroyed.
living 400 years? a human? I think it was entirely possible.

( sorry, that point had nothing to do with your thread...just an interesting thought I have had before, that I thought I would share )
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:10 am
Belief in God is man's fallback position. When all other explanations and evidence fails and the mystery prevails we always have belief in God to fall back on. In addition how many want to believe that our stay on earth and it's reality is all there is?
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 04:13 pm
shewolfnm: you actually have it reversed. Despite all the things you mentioned, "Water was clean and clear, no additives, trash, decay from pollution etc" , people live longer now than ever before. As hunter/gatherers, the life span usually wasnt much past 30 really, although it greatly differed everywhere. Lifespan after the agricultural revelution actually went down, due to unsanitary conditions and such.

Also, life espectancy has as much to do with internal influences as external. The fact is we age, and our cells can only renew themselves a certain amount of time before degenerating. Our heart cells replace themselves once every 60 years. Thats why the longest (that i have heard of) anyone has ever lived was in their 120s. After two heart cell regenrations, i dont think our bodies can take anymore.

ps. Since homo Habilis we have been making tools to make our lives easier, not exactly a new thing.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 03:14 am
I like the idea of people living into their hundreds, it adds to the 'magic' of the bible which I have trouble believing,so I just take it as a nice element to a story.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 03:39 am
shewolfnm wrote:
humans were very healthy before we started developing certain types of technology that made us lazy and increased the amounts of pollution to the point where the entire earth is now destroyed.
living 400 years? a human? I think it was entirely possible.

Unfortunately not. Human cells have a hayflick limit, they can only reproduce themselves a certain number of times after which they die without reproducing. This limits how long people can live and unfortunately living to nine centuries is beyond the realm of possibility without humans being quite different on a cellular level.

Sorry to end the party.

A more conceivable explanation is that the incredibly long "year" dates listed in the bible are actually lunar cycles. They figure out to the right amount by that calculation.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 05:19 am
Lunar cycles are a good way to explain it.

What if the Bible if fibbing and they are treying to make us believe that people lived into their hundreds?
0 Replies