Unions Make the Middle Class. Without Unions, the Middle Class Withers.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 09:19 am
For Labor Day, tallying the many cuts that bled unions and the long road back

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/for-labor-day-tallying-the-many-cuts-that-bled-unions-and-the-long-road-back/?fbclid=IwAR3c8mVplYH6irHqG5G7tM2V9mgG1GsQCQsYKvz1MZBe4kZ8ntz9eLd_6FU
Jewels Vern

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 03:56 am
@edgarblythe,
FYI you can delete everything from the question mark on. That is an email code identifying you as the one who passed on the link.
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/for-labor-day-tallying-the-many-cuts-that-bled-unions-and-the-long-road-back/
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 08:15 pm
@Real Music,
The deceptive and inaccurate rhetoric of Robert Reich notwithstanding, the simple fact is that today Labor unions exist only in situations in which they are given monopolistic control of public & private sector workforces In all other situations (i.e. those in which the workers themselves have the right to choose whether they will or will not join a labor union ), Labor unions simply wither away.

Union advocates like Reich are fond of fostering the illusion of dark forces working to deprive unions of their carefully nurtured monopolies over workforces in private industries or government agencies. However the simple fact is that whenever the union members themselves are given the freedom to choose whether to join or leave a formerly monopolistic labor union, they choose to leave in great numbers, and the union dies.

Monopolies are harmful in business and they are harmful in labor relations as well. Labor unions can survive only in cases in which they are given government- mandated, or simply de facto, monopolistic control of the workforce involved. Wherever workers are given a choice, unions die.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 09:09 pm
American Workers Need Unions
https://www.americanprogressaction.org/issues/economy/reports/2019/04/02/173622/american-workers-need-unions/

Real Music

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 09:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's a good article.
Thank you for posting that link.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 09:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I mean, if they have to pay just as much in right to work states as in other states there is not so much incentive to locate businesses in right to work over other places.

I agree with you completely.

Although, it's off topic, having the same strict gun laws in all 50 states, will leave no incentive to cross state lines for looser gun laws.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 09:48 pm
@Real Music,
I agree completely - about both unions and guns.
The conservatives will always seek to put roadblocks to any social programs that actually work for the people. Even many who would benefit from them. I understand why the corporations do so, but when the poorer classes do it, I am mystified.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 05:18 am
This labor day you can thank unions:
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69129736_2404805736401218_5682662214201245696_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQntWJwCiXZIdEdnpcJgB_KeSWaRli84JSAKKyxMaEWOTkfZIzbSII9nOjUeRpe8Z9xt7tlvSrW6ZHHDeWDypsRT&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=7496c46f2de91cd11d11e883323fec6d&oe=5DFF79DF
Real Music

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 10:43 am
@edgarblythe,
My message to Labor Unions is simply:

"THANK YOU AND I APPRECIATE YOU"
0 Replies