Intersectionality and Feminism

Sat 3 Mar, 2018 01:30 pm
What are your thoughts on intersectional feminism? Is there a feminist theory or feminist branch you are more inclined to? If so why?

I understand intersectional feminism to be the understanding of how women's overlapping identities — including race, class, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, etc. — impact the way they experience oppression and discrimination.
This is a very quick definition and in reality this term is much more complex. I wanted to give a brief idea as to what it is for those who are unfamiliar with this term.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,482 • Replies: 3
Topic Closed
No top replies

maxdancona

Sat 3 Mar, 2018 03:43 pm
@TheCarolG,
Intersectionality is an attempt to address the conflict between feminism and multiculturalism. Except people aren't being very honest about it. What it should be is White Women accepting that their version of feminism is very centered on colonial Western values and listening to women and listen to women and men from other points of view.

That is not what is happening, it is now a catchword used by white women to announce how great it is for women from different backgriunds agree with white women.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 4 Mar, 2018 05:21 pm
@TheCarolG,
I would like to hear your thoughts Carol.

How do you deal with White Feminists telling aboriginal cultures that their ideas about marriage are unacceptable in spite of what the women in these cultures think? How do you deal with the women who want to wear hijab?

Feminism benefits White women, and by proxy White men. Intersectionality doesn't have any meaning unless you can confront this basic fact.

Tell me, what does intersectionality mean to you... and how does it differ from the typical White middle-class American way of looking at the world ?

0 Replies

nononono

Mon 5 Mar, 2018 12:13 am
"intersectional feminism" is simply a way to compound self induced victimhood in the oppression Olympics.
0 Replies