My new support for hedonism

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 12:38 pm
Hedonism is a philosophy which states that pleasure is the only good thing in life. I have come up with my own arguments to support hedonism. I think these arguments could possibly be breakthrough discoveries. However, this is way too long for me to present here. Besides, it cannot fit within this post. I have written a whole book on it and I have written a summary of my book. For now, I will just present the book summary which also has the Q&A Section to it for more important information and further support for hedonism. This is a link to my Deviant Art journal which has the book summary. Read what you can of it and respond. If you can read all of it and give a full response to all of it, then that would be lovely:

http://fav.me/dc41lib
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,543 • Replies: 3
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 01:00 pm
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:
However, this is way too long for me to present here.

You have earned my respect, because you remind me of Fermat's famous note about his last theorem (the one that says a to the power n + b to the power n = c to the power n has no whole number solutions when n is greater than 2.) Fermat was absolutely sure that no numbers fitted the equation because he had a logical watertight argument. He never wrote down his proof. Instead, in the margin of a book, he left a tantalizing note in Latin: “Cubum autem in duos cubos, aut quadrato-quadratum in duos quadrato-quadratos, et generaliter nullam in infinitum ultra quadratum potestatem in duos eiusdem nominis fas est dividere cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi. Hanc marginis exiguitas non caperet” ("It is impossible for a cube to be the sum of two cubes, a fourth power to be the sum of two fourth powers, or in general for any number that is a power greater than the second to be the sum of two like powers. I have discovered a truly marvelous demonstration of this proposition that this margin is too narrow to contain"). He wrote the note in 1638 and the proof was finally arrived at in 1995.

MozartLink

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 09:15 am
@centrox,
Proof That Our Emotions Are The Perception Of Value: I talk about how our emotions allow us to perceive value. Many people would disagree with this idea because many people think that emotions are just simply emotions (i.e. how we feel about things) and nothing more. But I think this example I am going to give you might prove how our emotions really are the perception of value. When you, for example, feel fear from being in a dangerous situation, that feeling of fear is a chemical message to the brain which is telling your brain something. It tells your brain "THREAT!!!" or "DANGER!!!" This would be no different than your brain getting the message "IT MATTERS!!!"

When something matters to you, this means it is something good or bad from your perspective. For example, if the loss of your loved one mattered to you or if getting a new movie is something that mattered to you, then this means those things had value from your perspective. Therefore, when you feel fear, that is no different than your brain getting the message that this dangerous situation you felt fear from was something bad. So, I can honestly conclude that emotions are the message of value to our brains. But since people are in denial of this, then they are in denial of their own emotions. That is why I do not trust humanity because people are often times in denial and delusional.

Humanity currently believes in this idea that emotions being the source of value in our lives is for the weak-minded and that the real value comes about through our intellect, character, and morals. I think humanity is also in denial when it comes to their moral and intellectual based values because I don't think these are real values. In essence, my views oppose the vast majority of humanity. I think the emotional values are the real values while the values founded upon morality, intellect, and character are the fake values. But humanity thinks the opposite. Humanity thinks I am the one who is delusional and in denial and I think it is humanity that is delusional and in denial.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 08:24 pm
Wiles's proof of Fermat's Last Theorem ...

"I was sitting at my desk examining the Kolyvagin–Flach method. It wasn’t that I believed I could make it work, but I thought that at least I could explain why it didn’t work. Suddenly I had this incredible revelation. I realised that, the Kolyvagin–Flach method wasn’t working, but it was all I needed to make my original Iwasawa theory work from three years earlier. So out of the ashes of Kolyvagin–Flach seemed to rise the true answer to the problem. It was so indescribably beautiful; it was so simple and so elegant. I couldn’t understand how I’d missed it and I just stared at it in disbelief for twenty minutes. Then during the day I walked around the department, and I’d keep coming back to my desk looking to see if it was still there. It was still there. I couldn’t contain myself, I was so excited. It was the most important moment of my working life. Nothing I ever do again will mean as much."

0 Replies