Adult Children Child Support

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 05:58 pm
My Mother never got a child support order for my Father to pay her child support onr me, can I file for child support now that I am an adult?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,600 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Montana

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:21 pm
I don't think so, but it's a nice thought.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:29 pm
Montana's right. Besides...

If your mother never filed for support, there must have been a good reason. Either he didn't have any money, or you were both better off having no contact with him. In either case, you'd be wise to drop the idea.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:31 pm
I think that even if someone were to file it would be your mother. You were presumably fed enough not to starve and clothed enough not to freeze to death -- I think the point would be to reimburse her for those expenses rather than giving you money now.

But ask a lawyer (which I am not) to be sure.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:37 pm
Sozobe is right. Your mother is the one who would be entitled to the support if it were to be paid now, since she is the one who provided for you. Child support never goes directly to the children, as they are not the ones who are paying the bills.
0 Replies

myhouseirule

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:43 pm
Studpid Answer
Montana wrote:
Sozobe is right. Your mother is the one who would be entitled to the support if it were to be paid now, since she is the one who provided for you. Child support never goes directly to the children, as they are not the ones who are paying the bills.

Learn to keep your .02 cents, since you do not have a legal background
0 Replies

myhouseirule

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:46 pm
People, People
Montana wrote:

The only semi wise answer was the person who said contact a lawyer. Since everyone who answered wasn't a lawyer or judge then I do not know why you felted compelled to give your .02 cents. Please recognize in the future when a person is seeking expert opinions and expertise.
0 Replies

myhouseirule

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:48 pm
Re: People, People
myhouseirule wrote:
Montana wrote:

Not to mention child support is for the child and can go to the child if court order was established and child is now an adult.....tisk tisk go read a law book.

The only semi wise answer was the person who said contact a lawyer. Since everyone who answered wasn't a lawyer or judge then I do not know why you felted compelled to give your .02 cents. Please recognize in the future when a person is seeking expert opinions and expertise.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:51 pm
Whoa there, newbie!

(Sit down, Montana. I'll take this one.)

This is an open internet forum. If you want expert legal advice, pay a lawyer.

For your information (not that you deserve any further consideration after slamming such a well-intentioned poster)...Montana happens to have a lot of experience in this area. She has been fighting serious legal battles to gain support for her son for years. You would be wise to listen to her.

And you owe her a BIG apology.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:52 pm
myhouseirule wrote:

Then perhaps you should not make such a post, asking for advice. This is just a forum, after all. Smile And YOU are the one who posted your question.

So in the future when you have legal questions, you should open up the yellow pages and dial the nearest lawyer.

People here were kind enough to take their time to answer your post. You seem most ungrateful!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:53 pm
Quote:
The only semi wise answer was the person who said contact a lawyer. Since everyone who answered wasn't a lawyer or judge then I do not know why you felted compelled to give your .02 cents. Please recognize in the future when a person is seeking expert opinions and expertise

myhouseirule- If you wanted the advice of an attorney, why did you ask this question on an internet forum? Wouldn't have it been much "wiser" for you to contact an attorney, instead of insulting people who simply wanted to help?

And that is MY 2 Cents
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:54 pm
Eva wrote:
Whoa there, newbie!

(Sit down, Montana. I'll take this one.)

This is an open internet forum. If you want expert legal advice, pay a lawyer.

For your information (not that you deserve any further consideration after slamming such a well-intentioned poster)...Montana happens to have a lot of experience in this area. She has been fighting serious legal battles to gain support for her son for years. You would be wise to listen to her.

And you owe her a BIG apology.

Yeah! What Eva said Exclamation
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:46 pm
Gosh. I KNOW the answer to this interesting question. Plus, I'm qualified to answer this question. But . . . I think this impolite person ought to call up a lawyer and pay for the answer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 08:57 pm
ROTFLMAO, Debra!!!

See, myhouseirule, now you've pissed off a lawyer! And in only three posts! Nice going...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 09:11 pm
myhouseirule wrote:
Montana wrote:

Wow!!! I didn't see that one coming, but I sure "felted" it. Sheeesh!!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 09:18 pm
Eva, Brooke, Phoenix and Debra

Thank you all for your support ;-)

I love you guys :-D

Debra
I was waiting for you to come along with the legal details as I was curious to see your response, but I liked this response much better. You had me laughing out loud, hahaha!!!!

You guys are the best!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 09:20 pm
Yeah, we are, aren't we?! Nobody better mess with our Montana.

<blows smoke off end of pistol>
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 10:08 pm
Montana:

I'll reward your curiosity and thirst for knowledge by sending you the answer in a private message! Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 07:06 am
Eva
You're so good to me :-D

Debra
Thank you very much for PMing me all that information. It was a very interesting read. I will keep that information stored in my PM box in case someone else may want to know ;-)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:14 am
I didn't do anything you wouldn't have done for me, M. Right?
0 Replies