Please help, big problems with PayPal/eBay...

RobertD

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:01 pm
Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum (and a long one indeed).

First, a little bit about myself. I am 20 years old, and live near Detroit, Michigan. I have a severe back injury from doing some yardwork/landscaping last year (3 ruptured disks, in need of surgery).

Since it's relatively hard for me to get work due to my back injury, I decided to start my own computer business, building and selling desktop computers, most of which was to help me pay for college. As part of my business plan, I was going to use eBay to sell the items, and then use PayPal to accept payment. My first two weeks consisted of good sales, averaging a $400 to $500 profit per week, with close to $6,000 in total sales for those two weeks. My PayPal account had been opened for one year, and was completely verified, I had a business account with them, and their debit service. Now this is where things get interesting (and lengthy)....

After the second week, I decided to withdrawal $500 from my PayPal account into my verified checking account to pay a credit card bill (PayPal User Agreement allows withdrawals of $500 or less within a 24 hour period). Several hours later, I got a notification in my e-mail stating that I had "suspicious reports/complaints from buyers". This scared me, and I thought that perhaps I had sent a defective product. I logged into to my PayPal account, to find that they wanted me to provide them with more information (photocopy of utility bills, tracking numbers for every item ever sold through PayPal, and to re-verify my bank account, credit card, and debit card -- the process takes about 5 days). I then began the process of gathering the information, sent in for the credit card verification, etc..

Two days later, I got another notification stating that I had a "suspicious withdrawal or receipt of funds". I instantly thought that someone tried to purchase one of my systems with fraudulent funds, and that was the problem (since my "withdrawal" described in the above paragraph is within the User Agreement guidelines, and most likely isn't suspicious). I called PayPal and asked if I had received fraudulent or un-authorized funds, as stated in the e-mail. The employee stated that I had not received any illegal funds.

Within the same day as above, I got another e-mail stating that my account was closed due to a consumer credit report pulled on my name (User Agreement states they may do this). Within one hour of getting the "account closed" e-mail, I got another e-mail stating that I need to provide more information, or they were going to close my account (but wasn't my account already closed?!). By now, I was so confused and frustrated that I was on the brink of a mental break down, literally. PayPal said that the information contained in that credit report "contributed" to the decision to ultimately close my account (and hold all of the funds in the account for 180 days -- Total funds in the account are $1,704.00). I called them back up and demanded to talk to a manager. I asked him what the other "contributing" reasons were, alongside the credit report. He told me that he could not give me that information. I then asked him if there were actually any other contributing reasons, and he stated that there were, but I would need a subpoena to get that information.

I then pulled up a credit report, and found nothing wrong with it. While I do not have a FICO Score (which may have been what they looked for), it did state that I "pays as agreed" and there were no "negative strikes" against my credit. I strongly constest that they found anything within that credit report that would suggest my account should have been terminated.

PayPal User Agreement also states that "persons with an unacceptable level of credit risk [are not eligible for the service]". My credit was the same then as it is now, why did they even allow me to register? They also allowed me to sign up as a business account, which allows high volume transactions, and they also allowed me to sign up for their debit service, which states you must be in "good standing with the PayPal community", not to mention the numerous credit card offers I got from them. They leave "unacceptable" strongly ambiguous, and open to interpretation from either side. (Upon calling them, you also need a subpoeana to find out the definition of "unacceptable credit risk" -- How can they use terms in a contract without defining them?!).

One week later, I finally started to get some where, or so I thought. I called PayPal up, and asked the woman why my account was initially limited (before the closure). She then asked me "sir, what were you selling" (as if it was something illegal)... I told her desktop computers. She came back and said "sir, were these GAMING computers?"... I stated "yes, they are multi-purpose computers, for gaming, or general applications" (her emphasizing the "gaming" word made me suspicious for some reason)... She then said "well, the only thing I can think of is that PayPal was wondering where you were getting all of these high ticket items" (which to me sounds like they thought I stole them).

A couple more weeks later, and yet more arguing, I finally DID get somewhere. I talked to a head manager of the security department. I asked her "what exactly do you guys me that I have suspicious reports from my buyers?"... She then chuckled and said "you don't really have suspicious reports from your buyers, that's just our default message when we limit an account"... This outraged me, this whole time I believed I had complaints against me. So, they limited my account, and both of their reasons were complete lies.

So now I have lost all of my sales through that account ($500 per week), they are holding my funds of $1,704.00 for 180 days (6 months), and I have had very close call with a mental breakdown -- All because they lied to me.

Now, things get slightly more interesting. PayPal JUST settled a class-action lawsuit ($9.25 million) for the same misconduct. In fact, their injunctive agreement states these two "terms", which they violated (in my case):

Quote:
1. PayPal agrees to limit access to customer accounts in accordance with only those catagories of account limitations disclosed in PayPal's User Agreement, as amended from time to time.

3. PayPal will advise any customer who requests information in connection with an account limitation that any such request must be provided to PayPal through the "report form" link contained in the "Electronic Fund Transfer Rights and Error Resolution Policy" section of PayPal's User Agreement. PayPal will respond within five business days to a customer's first request for information in connection with an account limitation when such request is received by PayPal through the "report form" link contained in the "Electronic Fund Transfer and Error Resolution Policy" section of PayPal's User Agreement. In responding to a customer's first request for information, PayPal will provide the customer with copies of documents it relied on in making its decision to limit access to the customer's account unless PayPal determines that to do so would (i) jeopardize the security of a PayPal account; (ii) infringe the privacy rights of a PayPal customer; and/or (iii) require disclosure of information relating to PayPal's confidential, proprietary or trade secret information.

In number one, while they did provide a reasons, which was in their contract, the reason(s) were absolutely false, as admitted by them. So technically, my account was limited for reasons not listed in the contract. They also violated section three, by not providing me with that "link", or even offering to help me out without stating that I need a subpoena (like they are trying to hide something).

And finally, on to eBay (don't worry, this is a bit quicker!)....

I had to contact eBay and tell them not to bill my checking account, as it was empty (all the money was in PayPal). My sellers fees were around $331.00, and I told eBay that it might have to go to the collection agency, until my funds were released and I could afford to pay. EBay contacted me back, stating that I wouldn't be billed, and they said that they understood my situation. A few days later, I contacted them again, and they once again told me that they wouldn't bill me. Well... within 4 days, they did in fact bill me, caused me to pull a negative balance in my checking account, caused my credit card bill to bounce, and produce a decent overdraft fee (in addition to having to fill the negative balance).

I immediately contacted eBay, as my bank suggested I do, and eBay stated that they would not refund me, and that they couldn't find the messages to technical support that stated I would not be billed (I guess they have a magician working over there, making stuff disappear)...

So, from above I can deduce that the following has been done:

PayPal:
Fraud (knowingly deceived me by stating false reasons was to why my account was limited, and then damaged my business because of that)
Conversion (while they can hold my funds, they are doing so in false allegation)
Torturuous Interference with Contract (they intended to breach the contract with the ambiguous terms)
Libel (possibly because their "internal message" shows that I had "suspicious reports", which was proven to be false)
Unethical Business Practices

eBay:
Negligent Misrepresentation (or fraud) (stating that they wouldn't bill me, then they did anyway).

Could I collect damages for lost income, as well as get my $1,700 back? Perhaps even mental anguish, since I nearly had a breakdown? Would punitive damages be out of the question, or would could that be thrown in as well, since they (PayPal/eBay) violated their injuncitve agreement, and commited what appears to be several torts, as well as practicing unethical conduct? Anyone can plainly see that this company didn't learn anything the first time around...

Someone with a little bit more knowledge in this area please respond and tell me what you think. I am definately not a lawyer, and only managed a C- in my Practical Law class in high school...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,464 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Montana

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:25 pm
I'm not a lawyer, but as an ebay buyer considering selling as well, I think you've changed my mind. I've read several stories like this from others in the ebay forum and I thought things were taken care of in that huge settlement you were talking about.
I think the only way you can find out what exactly you can do is by contacting a lawyer.
I can only imagine how devistating this must be and my heart goes out to you.

I'm sorry I can't offer any more help than that.
0 Replies

RobertD

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:40 pm
Montana wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, but as an ebay buyer considering selling as well, I think you've changed my mind. I've read several stories like this from others in the ebay forum and I thought things were taken care of in that huge settlement you were talking about.
I think the only way you can find out what exactly you can do is by contacting a lawyer.
I can only imagine how devistating this must be and my heart goes out to you.

I'm sorry I can't offer any more help than that.

Thanks for the response... I too read the "horror stories", but I always disregarded them with belief that the people who were "limited" or "closed" were always fraudulent, or abusing the service. I guess that's what I get for believing that way.

This event happened in November 2004 (the last half)...

Then, in early December, I contacted a lawyer (after all of my family and friends told me I should), and they asked for an in depth inquiry. They contacted me back on January 2nd to let me know it's still under review and that they would contact me back in the future with more information (which I am still waiting for). I have contacted the Attorney General of Nebraska (that's where PayPal's HQ is located), and he helped me out by sending a certified letter to them asking them to respond, in writing, as to what in the heck is going on over there (though, they don't legally have to respond). This was back in early January that he sent them the message, and PayPal still hasn't responded. I could only imagine that it would help my case though, given that they won't even comply with the Attorney General. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 11:56 pm
Even so, I think you're on the right track. If they start recieving letters from lawyers and such, they may just think twice about what they're doing. I always thought it was great that there was a place such as ebay where you could do business right from your home and paypal to deal with all the financial transactions, but then when I looked further into it, I was horrified to read so very many stories such as yours and it made me rethink my plans. I still buy from ebay and use paypal, but selling is obviously a whole different ballgame and is much too big of a risk for my taste.
Paypal should not have this kind of power to freeze anyones money for any reason and I know I don't want to be on the selling end of paypal for that reason.
If they keep this up, they are eventually going to be put out of business.
In the mean time, there are people such as yourself who are put in a financial bind and that must be a nightmare.
Have you spoken with other who have or are going through the same thing?
0 Replies

RobertD

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 12:08 am
Montana wrote:
Have you spoken with other who have or are going through the same thing?

I have, through forums such as this. They pretty much tell me that I would have to wait the 180 days to get my money back. But it's still the point that they completely shut me down and caused me to lose profit, lied to me, breached the contract, and are just so confusing that it's impossible to move things along.

Others have had the same experience, but it had cut way back since the settlement. Most, if not all stories, generally have one flaw -- The users violated the PayPal User Agreement in some way, usually by having several un-verified accounts. I would say out of all of the PayPal customers (millions), there are probably a handful that is in a very similar bind to mine (probably about 3 or 4 people). So it certainly is not the majority, I would still be careful if you decide to use them though, and read the agreement carefully.

While eBay isn't as bad, they too lied to me, and their phone support is THE WORST that I have ever experienced. When I called, the employee demanded that I tell him where I found the number Shocked

Also, from what I gather, the government strongly dislikes PayPal, because they try to slide through the government banking regulations, and they are not FDIC insured (so someone could walk in and take my money right now, and I most likely wouldn't get it back... PayPal also says there is no guarentee that if they went bankrupt, that my funds would be safe) Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 12:42 am
This is just so very unfair and it doesn't sound legal. With all the millions of $$$ they're making, you'd think they would avoid these situations. This is bad business, to say the least, sigh!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 12:21 pm
Re: Please help, big problems with PayPal/eBay...
RobertD wrote:
So, from above I can deduce that the following has been done:

PayPal:
Fraud (knowingly deceived me by stating false reasons was to why my account was limited, and then damaged my business because of that)

This response is not legal advice, but is information for educational purposes only concerning your deductions:

Was it "fraud" (a tort claim that allows damages for mental anguish and punitive damages) or merely a "breach of contract" (a contract claim that allows only monetary damages for actual losses due to the breach)?

If the "false reasons" came into play AFTER you entered the contract and the defendant stated those reasons for limiting or termininating your account (governed by the terms of the contract), how can you allege fraud? Under your contract with PayPal, there are certain terms that you agreed to under which your account may be limited or terminated. Maybe (don't know) PayPay breached the contract, but can you really prove fraud?

The necessary elements of fraud which the plaintiff must plead and prove (by clear and convincing evidence) are: "(1) misrepresentation (false representation, concealment, or nondisclosure); (2) knowledge of falsity (scienter); (3) intend to defraud (i.e., to induce reliance); (4) justifiable reliance; and (5) resulting damage." (Molko v. Holy Spirit Assn. (1988) 46 Cal.3d 1092.) If the defendant can negate any of the essential elements of the fraud claim, then the defendant will prevail.

Were your damages the result of the false statements and detrimental reliance on those statements? Or were you damages simply the result of the limitation / termination of your account governed by the terms of a contract?

FRAUD -- more information on essential elements:

Conduct may constitute fraud because of an intentional misrepresentation, concealment, a false promise or a negligent misrepresentation.

Deceit -- A deceit is either:

1. The suggestion, as a fact, of that which is not true, by one who does not believe it to be true;

2. The assertion, as a fact, of that which is not true, by one who has no reasonable ground for believing it to be true;

3. The suppression of a fact, by one who is bound to disclose it, or who gives information of other facts which are likely to mislead for want of communication of that fact; or,

4. A promise, made without any intention of performing it.

Intentional Misrepresentation -- The essential elements of a claim of fraud by an intentional misrepresentation are:

1. The defendant must have made a representation as to a past or existing material fact;

2. The representation must have been false;

3. The defendant must have known that the representation was false when made or must have made the representation recklessly without knowing whether it was true or false;

4. The defendant must have made the representation with an intent to defraud the plaintiff, that is, he she must have made the representation for the purpose of inducing the plaintiff to rely upon it and to act or to refrain from acting in reliance thereon;

5. The plaintiff must have been unaware of the falsity of the representation; must have acted in reliance upon the truth of the representation and must have been justified in relying upon the representation;

6. And, finally, as a result of the reliance upon the truth of the representation, the plaintiff must have sustained damage.

EXPRESSION OF OPINION

Ordinarily, expressions of opinion are not treated as representations of fact upon which to base actionable fraud. However, when one party possesses or holds himself out as possessing superior knowledge or special information regarding the subject of a representation, and the other party is so situated that he or she may reasonably rely upon such supposed superior knowledge or special information, a representation made by the party possessing or holding himself out as possessing such knowledge or information will be treated as a representation of fact although if made by any other person it might be regarded as an expression of opinion. When a party states an opinion as a fact, in such a manner that it is reasonable to rely and act upon it as a fact, it may be treated as a representation of fact.

CONCEALMENT

Concealment is a term of art which includes mere nondisclosure when a party has a duty to disclose. The essential elements of a claim of fraud by concealment are:

1. The defendant must have concealed or suppressed a material fact;

2. The defendant must have been under a duty to disclose the fact to the plaintiff;

3. The defendant must have intentionally concealed or suppressed the fact with the intent to defraud the plaintiff;

4. The plaintiff must have been unaware of the fact and would not have acted as he or she did if he or she had known of the concealed or suppressed fact;

5. And, finally, the concealment or suppression of the fact caused the plaintiff to sustain damage.

NONDISCLOSURE OF KNOWN FACTS

Where material facts are known to one party and not to the other, failure to disclose them is not actionable fraud unless there is some relationship between the parties which gives rise to a duty to disclose such known facts.

A duty to disclose known facts arises where the party having knowledge of the facts is in a fiduciary or a confidential relationship. A fiduciary or a confidential relationship exists whenever under the circumstances trust and confidence reasonably may be and is reposed by one person in the integrity and fidelity of another.

A duty to disclose known facts arises in the absence of a fiduciary or a confidential relationship where one party knows of material facts and also knows that such facts are neither known nor readily accessible to the other party.

Failure to disclose a negative fact where it will have a foreseeably depressing effect on income expected to be generated by a business is tortious. (See Rest.2d Torts, § 551, illus. 11.)

ACTIVE CONCEALMENT OF KNOWN FACTS

Intentional concealment exists where a party:

(1) Knows of defects in a property and intentionally conceals them, or

(2) Actively prevents investigation and discovery of material facts by the other party, or

(3) While under no duty to speak, nevertheless does so, but does not speak honestly or makes misleading statements or suppresses facts which materially qualify those stated.

The essential elements of a claim of fraud by a false promise are:

1. The defendant must have made a promise as to a material matter and, at the time it was made, he or she must have intended not to perform it;

2. The defendant must have made the promise with an intent to defraud the plaintiff, that is, he or she must have made the promise for the purpose of inducing plaintiff to rely upon it and to act or refrain from acting in reliance upon it;

3. The plaintiff must have been unaware of the defendant's intention not to perform the promise; he or she must have acted in reliance upon the promise and must have been justified in relying upon the promise made by the defendant;

4. And, finally, as a result of reliance upon defendant's promise, the plaintiff must have sustained damage.

PROOF OF INTENT NOT TO PERFORM

The conduct of a party making a promise, either before or after the promise was made, may be taken into consideration in determining whether there was an intention not to perform the promise when made.

NEGLIGENT MISREPRESENTATION

The essential elements of a claim of fraud by a negligent misrepresentation are:

1. The defendant must have made a representation as to a past or existing material fact;

2. The representation must have been untrue;

3. Regardless of his or her actual belief the defendant must have made the representation without any reasonable ground for believing it to be true;

4. The representation must have been made with the intent to induce plaintiff to rely upon it;

5. The plaintiff must have been unaware of the falsity of the representation; must have acted in reliance upon the truth of the representation and must have been justified in relying upon the representation;

6. And, finally, as a result of the reliance upon the truth of the representation, the plaintiff must have sustained damage.

PERSONS IN/NOT IN PRIVITY WITH DEFENDANT

The misrepresentation or false promise or concealment must have been made or done with the intent to induce some person or persons to act in reliance upon it and the party making the representation or promise is liable only to those persons to whom the representation or promise has been made from whom a material fact was concealed with such intent. If others become aware of the representation or promise or are misled by the concealment and act upon such, there is no liability.

One who makes a misrepresentation or false promise or conceals a material fact is subject to liability if he or she intends or has reason to expect that the misrepresentation or false promise concealment of material fact will be passed on to another person and influence such person's conduct in the type of transaction involved.

A person has reason to expect that a misrepresentation, false promise or nondisclosure of material fact will be passed on to other persons and influence that person's conduct if he or she has information that would lead a reasonable person to conclude that there is a likelihood that it will reach such persons and will influence them or their conduct in the type of transaction involved. Subject to liability means that the defendant is liable if all of the other essential elements of the claim of fraud are established.

One who makes a misrepresentation or false promise or conceals a material fact with the intent to defraud the public or a particular class of persons is deemed to have intended to defraud every individual in that category who is actually misled thereby.

RELIANCE

A party claiming to have been defrauded by a false representation or promise must have relied upon the representation or promise; that is, the representation or promise must have been a cause of plaintiff's conduct in entering into the transaction and without such representation or promise plaintiff would not have entered into such transaction.

The fraud, if any, need not be the sole cause if it appears that reliance upon the representation or promise substantially influenced such party's action, even though other influences operated as well.

A party claiming to have been defrauded by a false representation or promise must not only have acted in reliance on it but must have been justified in such reliance, that is, the situation must have been such as to make it reasonable in the light of the circumstances and plaintiff's intelligence, experience and knowledge, to accept the representation or promise without making an independent inquiry or investigation.

EFFECT OF INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION

If a party claiming to have been defrauded makes an independent investigation of the subject matter of the alleged false representation or promise and the decision to engage in the transaction is the result of his or her independent investigation and not his or her reliance upon the representation or promise, he or he is not entitled to recover.

Fraud must be alleged with particularity and must be proven by clear and convincing evidence. This is a heavy burden. Were you truly fraudulently INDUCED to enter a contract or was this merely a breach of contract claim? In your "deductions," you failed to deduce the most obvious claim that you MAY have -- a breach of contract claim.

Quote:
Conversion (while they can hold my funds, they are doing so in false allegation)

Conversion is a tort claim. It is defined as the unauthorized dominion and control over another's property.

Check out the following website:

http://www.girardgibbs.com/paypal.html

Again, check the terms of your contract. Under what terms did you "authorize" Paypal to freeze your account and hold your funds? Is this a separate tort claim of conversion and/or merely the monetary "damages" portion of a breach of contract claim?

UNCONSCIONABLE CONTRACT TERM?

Additionally, if a contract term exists that allows Paypal to freeze your account and hold your funds for up to 160 days, is the contract term conscionable? If it is "unconscionable" as part of an "adhesion contract" (a contract offered on a take it or leave it basis wherein you cannot negotiate the terms), it is probably unenforceable under public policy grounds (or it may be unenforceable as a violation of of the Electronic Funds Transfer Act -- see link above).

Again, your deductions are incomplete. Whenever one examines the terms of a contract, the possible unconscionability of the terms of an adhesion contract must be a part of the analysis.

Quote:
Torturuous Interference with Contract (they intended to breach the contract with the ambiguous terms)

Torturuous??????

A Tort is a civil wrong. Although a civil wrong may feel like torture to the victim of the tort -- try to keep your terminology correct.

You mean: Tortious (civilly wrong -- actionable intentional tort) Interference with a Contract. This should not be confused with intentional nterference with prospective contract or business relations. Both torts involve the same type of behavior but address different wrongs.

Tortious interference with a contract takes place when the defendant engages in conduct that interferes with your contractual relations with a third party (not with the defendant).

Check out the following website:

http://www.lectlaw.com/def/i084.htm

So again, your deductions are erroneous. You cannot bring a claim of tortious interference with a contract against the person/entity that you have the contract with. However, if you allege that PayPal intentionally (which carries with it a heavy burden of proof) interfered with your contracts with third persons or intentionally interfered with a prospective economic advantage between you and some third person, you may be able to state a claim upon which relief can be based.

However, stating a claim that may possibly survive a motion to dismiss is a far cry from being able to carry your heavy burden of proving your claim.

Quote:
Libel (possibly because their "internal message" shows that I had "suspicious reports", which was proven to be false)

Defamation -- Libel is another intentional tort.

Defamation is an invasion of the interest in reputation of a person or a group of persons resulting from libel or slander.

Libel is a false and unprivileged publication by writing, printing, picture, effigy, or other fixed representation to the eye, which exposes any person to hatred, contempt, ridicule, or disgrace, or which causes such party to be shunned or avoided, or which has a tendency to injure such party in such party's occupation.

The essential elements of a Libel claim (private person) are:

LIBEL/SLANDER-EFFECT ON AVERAGE READER OR LISTENER

The defamatory nature of a false and unprivileged publication must be determined by the natural and probable effect of the publication on the mind of the average reader or listener. Consequently, if the average reader or listener would regard it as a defamatory publication it may be libelous or slanderous on its face even though it is also susceptible of innocent meaning.

PUBLICATION

A "publication" of defamatory matter is its communication to a person other than the plaintiff, who understands its defamatory meaning and its application to the plaintiff. To be a publication, the communication also must be made intentionally or negligently.

A publication is intentional if made for the purpose of communicating the defamatory matter to a person other than plaintiff, or with knowledge that the defamatory matter is substantially certain to be so communicated. A publication is negligent if a reasonable person would recognize that an act creates an unreasonable risk that the defamatory matter will be communicated to a person other than plaintiff.

Innuendo

It is also essential to publication that the recipient of the defamatory communication understood the statement was intended to refer to the plaintiff. If the defendant intended to refer to the plaintiff, and the recipient so understood the statement, it is immaterial what words the defendant used to identify the plaintiff. If the recipient mistakenly, but reasonably, believed that the defamatory statement was intended to refer to the plaintiff, it is immaterial that the defendant did not intend to do so.

Multiple Publications

Each of several publications by the defendant to a third person is a separate publication for which separate damages can be awarded, except that a single communication heard at the same time by two or more third persons is a single publication. Any one issue of a book newspaper, or radio or television broadcast, or exhibition of a motion picture or similar aggregate communication is a single publication.

Libel/Slander-Publication To Plaintiff

A libelous or slanderous statement is not published within the meaning of the law if the author of the statement makes the statement only to the plaintiff.

PRIVATE-FIGURE PLAINTIFF -- PRIVATE MATTERS--ESSENTIAL ELEMENT

The essential elements of a claim for defamation by libel slander are:

1. The defendant by writing, printing or orally made a defamatory statement about the plaintiff;

2. The defendant published the defamatory statement;

3. The defendant:

a. knew the statement was false and defamed plaintiff; or

b. published the statement in reckless disregard of whether the matter was false and defamed plaintiff; or

c. acted negligently in failing to learn whether the matter published was false and defamed plaintiff;

4. Either the publication caused plaintiff to suffer special damages, or the statement was defamatory on its face. Reckless disregard for whether the matter was false and defamed plaintiff means that the defendant must have had serious doubts about the truthfulness of the statement at the time of the publication.

(NOTE: Some states no longer require "special damages" as an essential element -- the elements of the tort will vary depending on the law of the state [situs] wherein the defamation took place.)

DEFENSES

LIBEL/SLANDER--TRUTH IS AN ABSOLUTE DEFENSE

An essential element of defamation by libel slander is that the statement published was false. Consequently, if the statement was, in fact true, there can be no defamation, regardless of defendant's motivation. Truth is an absolute defense to a claim of libel.

CONDITIONAL PRIVILEGE

A conditional privilege is a defense to an action for defamation, unless the defendant abused the privilege when publishing the statement.

A privilege is abused when a defendant publishes a defamatory statement about plaintiff, without a good faith belief in the truth of the statement; or without reasonable grounds for believing the statement true; or motivated by hatred or ill will towards plaintiff. Plaintiff has the burden of proving by a preponderance of the evidence all of the facts necessary to establish that the privilege was abused by defendant.

A defendant acts negligently if he or she does not act reasonably in checking on the truth or falsity or defamatory character of the communication before publishing it.

In determining whether the defendant's conduct was reasonable the trier of fact is to consider:

1. The time element;

2. The nature of the interest that the defendant was seeking to promote by publishing the communication; and

3. The extent of the injury to the plaintiff's reputation or sensibility that would be produced if the communication proves to be false.

Quote:
Unethical Business Practices

You don't explain this "claim." Is it a statutory claim? If so, what statute?

Quote:
eBay:
Negligent Misrepresentation (or fraud) (stating that they wouldn't bill me, then they did anyway).

But, didn't you owe the money? You can't enforce a gratuitous promise.

You need to research this issue in much greater depth before you attempt to assert a claim.

Could I collect damages for lost income, as well as get my $1,700 back? Perhaps even mental anguish, since I nearly had a breakdown? [/quote]

You are required to mitigate damages. Even if you were no longer associated with PayPal due to alleged breach of contract and/or tortious conduct, did you continue market your products?

Research "damages" or "remedies" for breach of contract claims versus tort claims.

See, e.g., http://lawwww.cwru.edu/faculty/friedman/raw/contract_remedies.html

Breach of contract claims are generally limited to economic damages.

Intentional torts allow the recovery of noneconomic damages (such as damages for mental anguish and punitive damages).

Can you afford to retain an attorney? Do you have the ability to properly IDENTIFY your possible claims? (From your deductions thus far -- NO, you don't have the ability to identify your claims -- you must invest a TON of time to properly unravel the law, analyze your situation, and apply the law to the facts.) Do you have the ability to prosecute your own claims? Are you knowledgeable about civil procedure, motion practice, discovery tools? Do you have the money to prosecute any of your identifiable / actionable claims? Do you file your claims in federal court or state court? Which federal or state court has jurisdiction?

COMPLICATED!

As with all decisions in life, you have to evaluate your chances of succeeding through litigation and you must conduct a cost-benefit analysis. Is it worth your time and effort and additional expense to recover $1,700?
0 Replies

RobertD

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:03 pm
Debra_Law,

PayPal limited my account, and knowingly gave me a false reason as to why they did it -- In essence, they lied, but I am not sure if it would be fraud or negligent misrepresentation. I also contest their findings of my credit report being so unacceptable, as to close my account (like I said, I don't have a FICO score, but everything states that I pay as agreed and there are no "negative strikes"). You state the following must be present:

(1) misrepresentation (false representation, concealment, or nondisclosure);
(2) knowledge of falsity (scienter);
(3) intend to defraud (i.e., to induce reliance);
(4) justifiable reliance; and
(5) resulting damage.

So, we have (1) misrepresentation, in the form that they deceived me with false statements or allegations. Then we have (2), which they knew the statements were false, as they are the ones that told me several weeks later. (3) PayPal wanted me to rely upon the fact that I had suspicious reports and/or that my account was compromised (as stated by PayPal), then we have (4), I believed what they were telling me was the truth, and finally (5), the closed my account, ultimately damaging my business, and witholding (converting) $1,700 into their hands for 180 days,

Basically, the "conversion" comes in because they are holding my funds. While the agreement does state they may hold funds for up to 180 days when an account is limited or terminated, they both limited and terminated my account under false allegations.

I agree that "libel" would have a hard time standing up, but would "publication" include internal messages and notes, that are only viewed within PayPal? If every employee that I talked to could see that I was considered "suspicious", wouldn't that be a written form of slander (i.e. libel)?

Also, since I messed up with Tortious Interference with Contract (Embarrassed), I am not sure what ambiguous contract with intent to breach would fall under. Would you agree though that "unacceptable" could be viewed as ambiguous, since your perception of "unacceptable" credit, and my perception may be two different things?

And what about the injunctive settlement agreement that they violated? They NEVER told me the ACTUAL reasons for account limitation/termination, thus how can I believe that the reason even exists on the contract? They never told me of a "link" to where I could obtain more information.

Also, you say:

Quote:
You are required to mitigate damages. Even if you were no longer associated with PayPal due to alleged breach of contract and/or tortious conduct, did you continue market your products?

No, I have not been able to continue my sales. My price of my auctions will end up considerably lower without the use of PayPal, as a result of potential customers fearing fraud or other scams. As PayPal states over 50% of people who shop on eBay won't even bid if there isn't and online payment option (PayPal). Besides that, I have absolutely no funds to register for a standard merchant account... PayPal has it all (those were my profits they are holding)...

And finally, as far as eBay... I guess I agree with you on that one, but they did state that I wouldn't be "automatically billed", and that my credit/debit card wasn't on file, so how did they charge me (my credit/debit information was on file for security purposed only, or supposedly).

Anyway, it is my opinion that PayPal doesn't really care about the customer. Even after the settlement, they still treat customers like dirt, and violate the agreement. I am going to take them to court, and plan on trying to go for punitive damages, as anyone can see that this company is a repeat offender...

Thanks for the responses
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 03:15 pm
Good luck.
RobertD wrote:
Debra_Law,

PayPal limited my account, and knowingly gave me a false reason as to why they did it -- In essence, they lied, but I am not sure if it would be fraud or negligent misrepresentation. I also contest their findings of my credit report being so unacceptable, as to close my account (like I said, I don't have a FICO score, but everything states that I pay as agreed and there are no "negative strikes"). You state the following must be present:

(1) misrepresentation (false representation, concealment, or nondisclosure);
(2) knowledge of falsity (scienter);
(3) intend to defraud (i.e., to induce reliance);
(4) justifiable reliance; and
(5) resulting damage.

So, we have (1) misrepresentation, in the form that they deceived me with false statements or allegations. Then we have (2), which they knew the statements were false, as they are the ones that told me several weeks later. (3) PayPal wanted me to rely upon the fact that I had suspicious reports and/or that my account was compromised (as stated by PayPal), then we have (4), I believed what they were telling me was the truth, and finally (5), the closed my account, ultimately damaging my business, and witholding (converting) $1,700 into their hands for 180 days,

Again, you're not applying the essential elements of the claim of fraud appropriately to the facts presented. What did you do or not do to your detriment in reliance upon a false statement and how did that detrimental reliance CAUSE damages? In other words, what did you do or not do in detrimental reliance upon Paypal's informing you about alleged suspicious reports and/or that your account was compromised? How did YOUR detrimental reliance cause the alleged damages?

I cannot see how YOUR alleged RELIANCE on an alleged false statement caused your account to be limited or frozen.

In other words, Paypal would have limited or frozen your account regardless of whether you relied (justifiably or otherwise) on their alleged false statement. The only question is whether, under the contract, the proper conditions existed under which they could limit or freeze your account in accordance with the terms of the contract -- and if NOT -- whether limiting or freezing your account was a breach of the contract.

But, what do I know . . . . I'm probably clueless.

Quote:
Basically, the "conversion" comes in because they are holding my funds. While the agreement does state they may hold funds for up to 180 days when an account is limited or terminated, they both limited and terminated my account under false allegations.

You may or may not have claims for both breach of contract (i.e., the contract terms provide that your funds will not be held except in specified situations and none of those situations exist) and conversion (unauthorized dominion and control over another's property) providing Paypal was not authorized by contract or otherwise to hold your funds.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/ua-outside

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_closing-outside

Quote:
I agree that "libel" would have a hard time standing up, but would "publication" include internal messages and notes, that are only viewed within PayPal? If every employee that I talked to could see that I was considered "suspicious", wouldn't that be a written form of slander (i.e. libel)?

If the alleged "false" information was not published to the public and your potential customers on ebay did not see the alleged defamatory publication, how can you allege injury to your reputation that damages you in your occupation as a seller on ebay? Hmmmm. Tough one. I leave the details to figure out that conundrum to you.

Quote:
Also, since I messed up with Tortious Interference with Contract (Embarrassed), I am not sure what ambiguous contract with intent to breach would fall under. Would you agree though that "unacceptable" could be viewed as ambiguous, since your perception of "unacceptable" credit, and my perception may be two different things?

You're not talking about a tort; you're talking about contract interpretation. The contract provides that paypal can close or limit your account based on several factors / conditions including reports from credit agencies of a high level of risk. Where is the ambiguity in the contract language? Does the ambiguity lie in the language, "high level of risk?" Paypal wrote the contract and all ambiguities in a contract are strictly construed against the party who wrote it.

There is no such claim as "ambiguous contract with intent to breach." However, a potential claim is simply breach of contract -- i.e., closing plaintiff's account in violation of the terms of contract based on alleged "report from credit agencies of a high level of risk" when no "report from credit agencies of a high level of risk" exists. Again, any ambiguity in the contract language must be strictly construed against the party (PayPal) who wrote the contract.

Quote:
And what about the injunctive settlement agreement that they violated? They NEVER told me the ACTUAL reasons for account limitation/termination, thus how can I believe that the reason even exists on the contract? They never told me of a "link" to where I could obtain more information.

They are stuck with the reasons they gave you.

Quote:
I am going to take them to court, and plan on trying to go for punitive damages, as anyone can see that this company is a repeat offender...

I recommend that you retain an attorney. Good luck.
0 Replies

RobertD

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 03:50 pm
Re: Good luck.
Debra_Law wrote:

Again, you're not applying the essential elements of the claim of fraud appropriately to the facts presented. What did you do or not do to your detriment in reliance upon a false statement and how did that detrimental reliance CAUSE damages? In other words, what did you do or not do in detrimental reliance upon Paypal's informing you about alleged suspicious reports and/or that your account was compromised? How did YOUR detrimental reliance cause the alleged damages?

I cannot see how YOUR alleged RELIANCE on an alleged false statement caused your account to be limited or frozen.

In other words, Paypal would have limited or frozen your account regardless of whether you relied (justifiably or otherwise) on their alleged false statement. The only question is whether, under the contract, the proper conditions existed under which they could limit or freeze your account in accordance with the terms of the contract -- and if NOT -- whether limiting or freezing your account was a breach of the contract.

Okay, I got it now. But, the one thing that really gets me, is that they lied, and there basically isn't a tort for lying. The situation has all of the markings of fraud, EXCEPT the important factor of reliance. While I did rely on their statement, that reliance didn't cause the account to close.

Debra_Law wrote:
But, what do I know . . . . I'm probably clueless.

If YOU'RE clueless, what in the world does that make me? LOL

Debra_Law wrote:
You may or may not have claims for both breach of contract (i.e., the contract terms provide that your funds will not be held except in specified situations and none of those situations exist) and conversion (unauthorized dominion and control over another's property) providing Paypal was not authorized by contract or otherwise to hold your funds.

I think I got it, your basically saying that if PayPal DID violate the agreement by limiting/closing my account for wrongful reasons, that the claim of conversion could go through?

Debra_Law wrote:
If the alleged "false" information was not published to the public and your potential customers on ebay did not see the alleged defamatory publication, how can you allege injury to your reputation that damages you in your occupation as a seller on ebay? Hmmmm. Tough one. I leave the details to figure out that conundrum to you.

No, leaving it to me to figure out is no good Laughing. They did tell my customers that I was unable to accept money, however. While that was true in the sense that I could not accept funds through PayPal, I COULD accept funds through other means, such as money order or check. Several customers did decide to take their business elsewhere as a result, which was a direct cause of PayPal's wronfully closing of my account (or allegedly wrongful closing). I think I could see libel coming into play if it is found that PayPal did indeed wronfully limit/terminate my account.

Debra_Law wrote:
You're not talking about a tort; you're talking about contract interpretation. The contract provides that paypal can close or limit your account based on several factors / conditions including reports from credit agencies of a high level of risk. Where is the ambiguity in the contract language? Does the ambiguity lie in the language, "high level of risk?" Paypal wrote the contract and all ambiguities in a contract are strictly construed against the party who wrote it.

I think "high level of risk" could be ambiguous, since two different people could intrepret it in two different ways (i.e. my case, PayPal says my credit is a high risk, where as I strongly disagree). I just thought that "unacceptable" (under the "eligibility" section) was also ambiguous, becase what's unacceptable for PayPal may not be unacceptable for me. They make no effort to tell a customer what they think "unacceptable" should mean. I called the several weeks ago, and I asked "what do you guys mean by "unacceptable level of credit risk"", and they told me that they couldn't tell me -- Again, their not breaking any rules, but it just seems so unethical.

Debra_Law wrote:
Again, any ambiguity in the contract language must be strictly construed against the party (PayPal) who wrote the contract.

I am not sure, but does that mean only PayPal has to know the definition?

Debra_Law wrote:
RobertD wrote:

Is this good or bad? Does that mean, in your opinion, that they violated the settlement agreement? If so, would that be the same as a standard breach of contract?

Debra_Law wrote:

Somehow, the good luck doesn't sound too promising, LOL... I have contacted a lawyer awhile back, and have been getting periodic updates saying they are still reviewing it, but I am unsure. The only one that has done anything so far is the Attorney General of Nebraska, and he says he can't force PayPal to respond to him...
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 05:27 pm
RobertD wrote:
[Re: Fraud]
Okay, I got it now. But, the one thing that really gets me, is that they lied, and there basically isn't a tort for lying. The situation has all of the markings of fraud, EXCEPT the important factor of reliance. While I did rely on their statement, that reliance didn't cause the account to close.

You're a good student, Robert.

RobertD wrote:
I think I got it, your basically saying that if PayPal DID violate the agreement by limiting/closing my account for wrongful reasons, that the claim of conversion could go through?

Eureka! I think you've got it!

Both a contract claim (breach of contract) and a tort claim (conversion) can be asserted. Here's the trick.

First: You can assert these claims as "alternative theories" of recovery for the same wrong / same injury. But, if this is done, you are only entitled to ONE recovery. You cannot obtain a double recovery for the same injury.

Second: These claims can be framed to allow for recovery / damages for different wrongs /different injuries.

That's why I encouraged you to read the damages / remedies on breach of contract claims.

Brainstorm. A plaintiff must carefully analyze all the different ways he/she was "damaged."

What are the monetary damages? Ascribe monetary (economic) damages to the contract claim. E.g., loss of use of your own money for 180 days or however long it takes for them to give you your money, interest on the money for 180 days, lost sales (paypal account customers canceled orders) -- but how did you mitigate the loss? Did you resell the items? Did you resell previously sold items for less money? How much have your sales decreased without the payment services that your contracted for? etc., etc., etc. You MUST be able to prove all alleged monetary / economic damaged by the preponderance of the evidence.

What are the NON-economic damages? Ascribe noneconomic damages to the tort claim. Mental Anguish -- from the defendant's unauthorized dominion and control over YOUR money. (Mental anguish / non-economic damages are NOT available on contract claims.)

Mental anguish . . . Bills to pay . . . an overdraft . . . the sleepless nights . . . the torment! OH MY GOD, the torment. Educate yourself concerning damages for conversion claims.

Additionally, punitive damages are available on Tort claims (but not on contract claims). Outline all your frantic and futile efforts to regain control of your OWN money and how you got the run-around -- how they told you lies. Hmmmmm.

Ascertaining and pleading your damages is a highly COMPLICATED task. It is do-able if you're capable of learning, research carefully, and EDUCATE yourself. Better YET . . . Get an attorney who knows what he/she is doing.

Quote:
They did tell my customers that I was unable to accept money, however. While that was true in the sense that I could not accept funds through PayPal, I COULD accept funds through other means, such as money order or check. Several customers did decide to take their business elsewhere as a result, which was a direct cause of PayPal's wronfully closing of my account (or allegedly wrongful closing). . . .

SEE ABOVE

Quote:
I think "high level of risk" could be ambiguous, since two different people could intrepret it in two different ways (i.e. my case, PayPal says my credit is a high risk, where as I strongly disagree). I just thought that "unacceptable" (under the "eligibility" section) was also ambiguous, becase what's unacceptable for PayPal may not be unacceptable for me. They make no effort to tell a customer what they think "unacceptable" should mean. I called the several weeks ago, and I asked "what do you guys mean by "unacceptable level of credit risk"", and they told me that they couldn't tell me --

HIGH level of risk reported by credit reporting agencies means exactly what it says, "HIGH level of risk." If you have a clean credit report, how can you possibly be regarded as an account-holder with "high level of risk?"

If they closed your account and asserted they closed your account based on HIGH or unacceptable (meaning, HIGH) level of risk, they are STUCK with the reason they gave you. They can't tell you one thing when they close your account and then state another reason for purposes of litigation. They are stuck with what they said at the time they said it.

So . . .

You may have two separate breach of contract claims. (YOU must educate yourself and RESEARCH! or hire a GOOD attorney.) The first breach may have occurred when they limited your account based on alleged suspicious activity when no suspicious activity occurred and they failed to inform you of the facts/nature of the suspicious activity and give you an opportunity to explain or participate in an investigation to clear your name and regain full use of your account. The second breach may have occurred when they closed your account based on alleged unacceptable high level of risk when you have a clean credit report.

Quote:
Again, any ambiguity in the contract language must be strictly construed against the party (PayPal) who wrote the contract.

NO. If the contract states an account will not be closed or limited except in specified circumstances, i.e., credit reporting agencies report high level of risk -- then the contract says what it means and means what it says.

A credit reporting agency is not going to report a HIGH LEVEL of risk unless you have a BAD credit report showing a credit history of NOT making payments on your loans and credit cards, etc.

BUT, if the contract term is ambiguous -- meaning that both the plaintiff and the defendant can reasonably interpret the contract in different ways to produce different results -- then any ambiguity is strictly construed against the person/party who wrote the contract.

Therefore, if the contract term is ambiguous and you present a reasonable interpretation that favors you -- YOUR interpretation will prevail. It doesn't matter what the defendant who wrote the contract says it means because any ambiguity in a contract term is strictly construed AGAINST the party who wrote it.

THIS IS BASIC contract interpretation law. Educate yourself. RESEARCH. Better yet -- retain a GOOD attorney.

Debra_Law wrote:
RobertD wrote:
They NEVER told me the ACTUAL reasons for account limitation/termination, thus how can I believe that the reason even exists on the contract? They never told me of a "link" to where I could obtain more information.

Quote:
Is this good or bad? Does that mean, in your opinion, that they violated the settlement agreement? If so, would that be the same as a standard breach of contract?

This means they are stuck with whatever reasons they gave you for limiting or closing your account at the time they limited or closed your account. They cannot come up with new reasons for the purposes of litigation.

Debra_Law wrote:

Somehow, the good luck doesn't sound too promising, LOL... I have contacted a lawyer awhile back, and have been getting periodic updates saying they are still reviewing it, but I am unsure. The only one that has done anything so far is the Attorney General of Nebraska, and he says he can't force PayPal to respond to him...[/quote]

Again. Anything I say here is just for educational purposes only. I am not privy to all the information, facts, etc., to state an opinion on anything. I don't know if you have a "case" or not. You really ought to retain a GOOD attorney, and present all your documents, emails, telephone records, notes on your conversations with representatives, etc., to the attorney for a thorough review and learned opinion. If you won't do that, then you have to do a TON of research and reading to educate YOURSELF sufficiently to adequately represent yourself. Practicing law isn't easy for an educated attorney with years of experience let alone a pro se litigant! Don't bite off more than you can chew.
0 Replies

RobertD

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 05:48 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
RobertD wrote:
[Re: Fraud]

You're a good student, Robert.

RobertD wrote:

Eureka! I think you've got it!

Both a contract claim (breach of contract) and a tort claim (conversion) can be asserted. Here's the trick.

First: You can assert these claims as "alternative theories" of recovery for the same wrong / same injury. But, if this is done, you are only entitled to ONE recovery. You cannot obtain a double recovery for the same injury.

Second: These claims can be framed to allow for recovery / damages for different wrongs /different injuries.

That's why I encouraged you to read the damages / remedies on breach of contract claims.

Brainstorm. A plaintiff must carefully analyze all the different ways he/she was "damaged."

What are the monetary damages? Ascribe monetary (economic) damages to the contract claim. E.g., loss of use of your own money for 180 days or however long it takes for them to give you your money, interest on the money for 180 days, lost sales (paypal account customers canceled orders) -- but how did you mitigate the loss? Did you resell the items? Did you resell previously sold items for less money? How much have your sales decreased without the payment services that your contracted for? etc., etc., etc. You MUST be able to prove all alleged monetary / economic damaged by the preponderance of the evidence.

What are the NON-economic damages? Ascribe noneconomic damages to the tort claim. Mental Anguish -- from the defendant's unauthorized dominion and control over YOUR money. (Mental anguish / non-economic damages are NOT available on contract claims.)

Mental anguish . . . Bills to pay . . . an overdraft . . . the sleepless nights . . . the torment! OH MY GOD, the torment. Educate yourself concerning damages for conversion claims.

Additionally, punitive damages are available on Tort claims (but not on contract claims). Outline all your frantic and futile efforts to regain control of your OWN money and how you got the run-around -- how they told you lies. Hmmmmm.

Ascertaining and pleading your damages is a highly COMPLICATED task. It is do-able if you're capable of learning, research carefully, and EDUCATE yourself. Better YET . . . Get an attorney who knows what he/she is doing.

Quote:
They did tell my customers that I was unable to accept money, however. While that was true in the sense that I could not accept funds through PayPal, I COULD accept funds through other means, such as money order or check. Several customers did decide to take their business elsewhere as a result, which was a direct cause of PayPal's wronfully closing of my account (or allegedly wrongful closing). . . .

SEE ABOVE

Quote:
I think "high level of risk" could be ambiguous, since two different people could intrepret it in two different ways (i.e. my case, PayPal says my credit is a high risk, where as I strongly disagree). I just thought that "unacceptable" (under the "eligibility" section) was also ambiguous, becase what's unacceptable for PayPal may not be unacceptable for me. They make no effort to tell a customer what they think "unacceptable" should mean. I called the several weeks ago, and I asked "what do you guys mean by "unacceptable level of credit risk"", and they told me that they couldn't tell me --

HIGH level of risk reported by credit reporting agencies means exactly what it says, "HIGH level of risk." If you have a clean credit report, how can you possibly be regarded as an account-holder with "high level of risk?"

If they closed your account and asserted they closed your account based on HIGH or unacceptable (meaning, HIGH) level of risk, they are STUCK with the reason they gave you. They can't tell you one thing when they close your account and then state another reason for purposes of litigation. They are stuck with what they said at the time they said it.

So . . .

You may have two separate breach of contract claims. (YOU must educate yourself and RESEARCH! or hire a GOOD attorney.) The first breach may have occurred when they limited your account based on alleged suspicious activity when no suspicious activity occurred and they failed to inform you of the facts/nature of the suspicious activity and give you an opportunity to explain or participate in an investigation to clear your name and regain full use of your account. The second breach may have occurred when they closed your account based on alleged unacceptable high level of risk when you have a clean credit report.

Quote:

NO. If the contract states an account will not be closed or limited except in specified circumstances, i.e., credit reporting agencies report high level of risk -- then the contract says what it means and means what it says.

A credit reporting agency is not going to report a HIGH LEVEL of risk unless you have a BAD credit report showing a credit history of NOT making payments on your loans and credit cards, etc.

BUT, if the contract term is ambiguous -- meaning that both the plaintiff and the defendant can reasonably interpret the contract in different ways to produce different results -- then any ambiguity is strictly construed against the person/party who wrote the contract.

Therefore, if the contract term is ambiguous and you present a reasonable interpretation that favors you -- YOUR interpretation will prevail. It doesn't matter what the defendant who wrote the contract says it means because any ambiguity in a contract term is strictly construed AGAINST the party who wrote it.

THIS IS BASIC contract interpretation law. Educate yourself. RESEARCH. Better yet -- retain a GOOD attorney.

Debra_Law wrote:
RobertD wrote:
They NEVER told me the ACTUAL reasons for account limitation/termination, thus how can I believe that the reason even exists on the contract? They never told me of a "link" to where I could obtain more information.

Quote:

This means they are stuck with whatever reasons they gave you for limiting or closing your account at the time they limited or closed your account. They cannot come up with new reasons for the purposes of litigation.

Debra_Law wrote:

Somehow, the good luck doesn't sound too promising, LOL... I have contacted a lawyer awhile back, and have been getting periodic updates saying they are still reviewing it, but I am unsure. The only one that has done anything so far is the Attorney General of Nebraska, and he says he can't force PayPal to respond to him...

Again. Anything I say here is just for educational purposes only. I am not privy to all the information, facts, etc., to state an opinion on anything. I don't know if you have a "case" or not. You really ought to retain a GOOD attorney, and present all your documents, emails, telephone records, notes on your conversations with representatives, etc., to the attorney for a thorough review and learned opinion. If you won't do that, then you have to do a TON of research and reading to educate YOURSELF sufficiently to adequately represent yourself. Practicing law isn't easy for an educated attorney with years of experience let alone a pro se litigant! Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Thank you very much for all of the help! I have indeed come along way in the past three months, all the way from not even knowing what a tort is, to knowing the five requirements of fraud (with your extensive help). As far as that "Business Ethics" that I mentioned earlier, I found it under California code (where PayPal operates, and where the lawsuit would be brought), though I couldn't find the actual regulation documents except for brief summaries:

http://www.rbeerslaw.com/17200.html
(I would suggest this section):
http://www.rbeerslaw.com/17200.html#What%20is%20meant%20by%20%22unfair%22?

Hopefully, justice will prevail...

Thanks again!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 06:12 pm
Choice of Law. This Agreement is governed by and interpreted under the laws of the state of California, USA as such laws are applied to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within California by California residents.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/terms-outside

When you research possible claims, you must apply California Law.

check out: Understanding torts:

http://www.lexisnexis.com/lawschool/study/understanding/pdf/TortsCh1.pdf
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 07:02 pm
CA case
CA case discussing conversion and damages for conversion

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/californiastatecases/a079373.doc

Conversion

Conversion is the wrongful exercise of dominion over the property of another. The elements of a conversion claim are: (1) the plaintiff’s ownership or right to possession of the property; (2) the defendant’s conversion by a wrongful act or disposition of property rights; and (3) damages. Conversion is a strict liability tort. The foundation of the action rests neither in the knowledge nor the intent of the defendant. Instead, the tort consists in the breach of an absolute duty; the act of conversion itself is tortious. Therefore, questions of the defendant’s good faith, lack of knowledge, and motive are ordinarily immaterial. (Moore v. Regents of University of California (1990) 51 Cal.3d 120, 144, and fn. 38; Oakdale Village Group v. Fong (1996) 43 Cal.App.4th 539, 543-544.) . . .

The general rule is that “[t]he foundation for the action of conversion rests neither in the knowledge nor the intent of the defendant. It rests upon the unwarranted interference by defendant with the dominion over the property of the plaintiff from which injury to the latter results. Therefore, neither good nor bad faith, neither care nor negligence, neither knowledge nor ignorance, are the gist of the action.” (Poggi v. Scott (1914) 167 Cal. 372, 375; accord, Byer v. Canadian Bank of Commerce (1937) 8 Cal.2d 297, 300; Moore v. Regents of University of California, supra, 51 Cal.3d at p. 144, fn. 38.) . . .

Damages for emotional distress arising from a defendant’s conversion of personal property are recoverable, as is thoroughly discussed in Gonzales v. Personal Storage, Inc. (1997) 56 Cal.App.4th 464, 472-477. Cummings contends Burlesci failed to prove any basis for her emotional distress claims other than his alleged conversion of the restaurant equipment. He insists none of his conduct was outrageous enough to support an independent cause of action for emotional distress. We have concluded the evidence of conversion was sufficient to go to the jury. And “the limits imposed with respect to recovery for emotional distress caused by a defendant’s negligence do not apply when distress is the result of a defendant’s commission of the distinct torts of trespass, nuisance, or conversion.” (Id. at p. 475.) A victim of conversion may recover for emotional distress that is a natural, reasonable, and proximate result of the defendant’s wrongful act. (Id. at pp. 475-477.)
0 Replies

RobertD

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 11:49 am
Hmm... Since PayPal is governed by California law, the Business and Professions Act §17200 could apply. While that act is usually brought upon in frivolous lawsuits (example: Fast food obesity), it does appear to have merit in my case.

The Act states that:

Quote:
§ 17200. Definition

As used in this chapter, unfair competition shall mean and include any unlawful, unfair or fraudulent business act or practice and unfair, deceptive, untrue or misleading advertising and any act prohibited by Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17500) of Part 3 of Division 7 of the Business and Professions Code.

Quote:
(a) Any person who intentionally violates any injunction prohibiting unfair competition issued pursuant to Section 17203 shall be liable for a civil penalty not to exceed six thousand dollars ($6,000) for each violation. Where the conduct constituting a violation is of a continuing nature, each day of that conduct is a separate and distinct violation. In determining the amount of the civil penalty, the court shall consider all relevant circumstances, including, but not limited to, the extent of the harm caused by the conduct constituting a violation, the nature and persistence of that conduct, the length of time over which the conduct occurred, the assets, liabilities, and net worth of the person, whether corporate or individual, and any corrective action taken by the defendant.

Section 17203 States:

Quote:
Any person who engages, has engaged, or proposes to engage in unfair competition may be enjoined in any court of competent jurisdiction. The court may make such orders or judgments, including the appointment of a receiver, as may be necessary to prevent the use or employment by any person of any practice which constitutes unfair competition, as defined in this chapter, or as may be necessary to restore to any person in interest any money or property, real or personal, which may have been acquired by means of such unfair competition.

Source: http://www.arb.ca.gov/bluebook/bb04/bus17200/bus_17200.htm

PayPal did indeed violate a court injunction (section "C", as found here: http://www.settlement4onlinepayments.com/injunctive.pdf ), so I am guessing that PayPal "shall be liable for a civil penalty". Looking at the past lawsuit, this appears to be PayPal's second offense as far as the Bus. & Prof. Act is concerned.

Also, PayPal could have breached a fiduciary duty:

Quote:
FIDUCIARY DUTY - An obligation to act in the best interest of another party. For instance, a corporation's board member has a fiduciary duty to the shareholders, a trustee has a fiduciary duty to the trust's beneficiaries, and an attorney has a fiduciary duty to a client.

A fiduciary obligation exists whenever one person, the client, places special trust and confidence in another person and relies upon that person, the fiduciary, to exercise his discretion or expertise in acting for the client; and the fiduciary knowingly accepts that trust and confidence and thereafter undertakes to act in behalf of the client by exercising his, the fiduciary's, own discretion and expertise.

Of course, the mere fact that a business relationship comes into being between two persons does not mean that either owes a fiduciary obligation to the other. If one person engages or employs another and thereafter directs or supervises or approves his actions, the person so employed is not a fiduciary. Rather, as previously stated, it is only when one party reposes, and the other accepts, a special trust and confidence involving the exercise of professional expertise and discretion that a fiduciary relationship comes into being.

When one person does undertake to act for another in a fiduciary relationship, the law forbids the fiduciary from acting in any manner adverse or contrary to the interests of the client, or from acting for his own benefit in relation to the subject matter. The client is entitled to the best efforts of the fiduciary on his behalf and the fiduciary must exercise all of the skill, care and diligence at his disposal when acting on behalf of the client.

A person acting in a fiduciary capacity is required to make truthful and complete disclosures to those placing trust in him, and he is forbidden to obtain an unreasonable advantage at the latter's expense.

Source: http://www.lectlaw.com/def/f026.htm

PayPal User Agreement states:

Quote:
2.1 Agency Relationship. PayPal acts as a facilitator to help you accept payments from and make payments to third parties. We act as your agent based upon your direction and your requests to use our Services that require us to perform tasks on your behalf. PayPal will at all times hold your funds separate from its corporate funds, will not use your funds for its operating expenses or any other corporate purposes, and will not voluntarily make funds available to its creditors in the event of bankruptcy or for any other purpose. You acknowledge that (i) PayPal is not a bank and the Service is a payment processing service rather than a banking service, and (ii) PayPal is not acting as a trustee, fiduciary or escrow with respect to your funds, but is acting only as an agent and custodian.[/i]

Does it constitute a breach of fiduciary duty, if PayPal violates the section that states...
Quote:
PayPal acts as a facilitator to help you accept payments from and make payments to third parties. We act as your agent based upon your direction and your requests to use our Services that require us to perform tasks on your behalf.

...even if they seperate themselves from being a "fiduciary", as stated in the contract? (or is this why they put it into the agreement, to seperate themseles from all liability of a "breach of fiduciary duty" claim?)...

I dropped the "lible/slander" issue, as the only person they communicated with was me. While they did tell my customers that I "couldn't receive money", I don't think that was defamatory.

Also, how would one determine damages based on mental anguish and damages based on punitive damages, since those are "imaginary" damages, so to speak? The other lawsuit filed against PayPal were class action, but had similar claims. In that case, the allocation plan states that the attorney fees are $3.3 million, statutory damages are $1 million, and the other estimated $5 million go to compensatory damages, but again, that's a class action and the compensatory damages get distributed between TONS of people.

Thanks again,
Robert
0 Replies