"hands"....opinions please!

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 05:35 pm
*I wrote this poem a few years ago. I think its pretty self-explanitory. I do hope you'll feel free to tell me what you think.

Hands

I look at the hands that are grasping mine-
And wonder where they have been in time.
Could these be the hands that were once so small?
Hands of the boy who grasped his mothers shawl?
Are these the hands of a boy so sweet?
That some day - his true love he will meet.
Where have these hand been? What stories do they know?
Are they the hands of a man that I am proud to know?
Could they be the hands that wiped away my tears?
The hands that so often got rid of my fears?
These hands that held me when I was sad-
Are the same sweet hands that held onto his dad?
These strong hands have aged with perfection.
-The hands of my Grandpa- who holds my affection.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 743 • Replies: 5
No top replies

duce

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 12:02 pm
Excellent, Once it was suggested there be an awe...emotion icon. It could be used here.

Have you heard Holly Dunn's (I think) Daddy's Hands? It's along that line.
0 Replies

kendrajean32

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 03:43 am
Yes i have.....and when i tell people of my poem...they tell me that all the time. I love that song.

The story behind my poem......I was sleeping one night....and woke up- about 3am...and knew....i had to write a poem. I said to myself "hands...thats the name of it" i got out of bed- got some paper....and wrote the poem almost as is today..... it was just something i had to get onto paper. My grandfathers hands have seen so much- he was a working man all his life, even as a little boy. He was in the CC's, coast guard, and the Navy (WWII).....then came home- married his wife of 50+ years, and remaind on the family farm...... He has tamed horses, planted feilds, spanked his children Smile, hugged them, wiped away their tears, held a fishing pole, and a golf club, held his first grandchild, hugged his "baby" grandchild (me) at her graduation, and SO much more.........oh...what stories do those hands know? you know by looking at them that he's a hard worker but has a soft touch....He is 86 years old and still going strong. He still golfs and drives the tractor.... My grandfather is my hero.

I also take photos......I don't take pics of people....just nature- people mess up photo's.....but the only picture i have of a person....is my grandfather - he's standing in an "endless" wheat feild.....his hands are outstretched....and he's checking the wheat. I've entered it in fairs....and received a blue.....Its a Fav. of may people....I guess he inspires me not only in my poetry...but in my photography
0 Replies

apoeticinjustice

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 10:29 am
very touching Kendrajean and a wonderful explanation of the story behind the poem.

I can relate very much to this, my father was my hero. From what you wrote, my father led a life very similar to your grandfathers.

Thanks for posting this.
0 Replies

kendrajean32

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 08:27 pm
thank you.....I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm working on another poem...but just can't find the words. I think that for me- poetry comes when i "need" to get the words out- not when i "want" to. All of my poems have been this way. Hands, as explained before was at 3 am. "daddy's girl", was something i tried for several mo. to come up with (in time of his b-day) but it wasn't until x-mas that i could make a poem that didn't sound like a dumb halmark card......I didn't finish my "too late" poem until i came back from camp (the camp it was written for- or tried to write it for)......and so on.....So I guess only time will tell if i have any more in me.
0 Replies

Scraps

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 09:12 pm
im not 1 for poems but i really liked it
0 Replies