ar Stan and Oly one of the best comedy duos
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 916 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 12:45 pm
Well, I would personally dub them the best of the comic duos. Abbott and Costello, Lewis and Martin, and even Burns and Allen still don't quite make it, although Burns and Allen are extremely close but a wholly different comic schtick. My favorite is the short with the boys as piano movers partially because as a child, I climbed up and down those stairs where the piano meets its ultimate end.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 12:56 pm
What a coinkidink that you climbed those stairs too. Since childhood I believed that was a set. I couldn't imagine Hollywood had a set of stairs in the neighborhood of those proportions.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 01:00 pm
Have you ever seen "County Hospital".

Olly is in bed with his leg in plaster. Stan comes to visit - everything goes wrong (of course). But the bit that sticks with me is what Stan brought Olly as a gift - not grapes or flowers but:

"hard boiled eggs and nuts"

It has become a family joke to give this answer to any question about Christmas or Birthday presents. One year (as well as something decent) I gave my mother a hard boiled egg and a nut - just to uphold the reference.

Probably not funny to the rest of you but thanks for letting me share! Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 01:01 pm
They are on Sunset Blvd. across from Elysian Park and we lived in an old Victorian house a few steps away from those stairs. The hill above us had various concrete sets of stairs rising up to the mesa at the top. The old Red Line streetcars ran into a tunnel about two or three blocks down the face of the mesa. When I saw those stairs in the movie and my Mom pointed out that they were one-in-the-same, I wondered how I could have been playing on them with my friends for so long without breaking something.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 01:05 pm
That's funny, kitchenpete. What a tribute!

BTW, welcome to A2K and the Film Forum, Spawn.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 01:11 pm
(BTW, the house at the top with the pond was a set).
0 Replies

Spawn

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 11:09 am
i have been here bout 2 weeks and you are the first to say that thanks

personally i like the episode when they sighned up for the french foreign legion
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 12:30 pm
Spawn wrote:

The old timers are pretty good about welcoming new members, but sometimes the"spawn" fall through the cracks.
Belated welcome
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 12:52 pm
The piano bouncing down the stairs with the boys in tow scene has to be the number one in cinematic history, even given the brilliance of Laurel and Hardy.

No2. For me was when they were doing the boat up so they could sell fish and cut out the middle man.

The simple truth is that these two fellas stood alone in the world of visual comedy and they will never be equalled, by anyone, not even close.

Charlie Chaplin was great in his own sphere of expertise but compared with Stan and Ollie, I dont think he was in the same league
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:41 pm
Spawn wrote:

personally i like the episode when they sighned up for the french foreign legion

That's from their full-length movie "The Flying Deuces." Very funny stuff. Laurel and Hardy were comic geniuses.

LW: have you ever been to this small theater in El Segundo, where they show old films, including silent shorts? Can't think of the name of it: it's on Richmond St., I believe. I've seen some silent Laurel and Hardy short films there, and it's always a hoot.
0 Replies