Desert 'ING'

jackie

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 12:27 am
Dismal is the description I choose.
My first trip to a real desert, and all I could think was how UGLY I thought it all was. Aw, well let me be a bit more honest. I didn't think it was all UGLY- just dismal. There were no trees. Everywhere I have ever been in my LIFE, but there, TREES live. The stubby growth they called 'trees' were not as big as a weed in Mississippi. Northern Oklahoma has better looking places (and I promised me to NOT live there again).
The ground was NOT soil. I don't know what it was. Just funny ground. Some kind of sandy... or gritty. No grass. LOTS and lots of cacti. Just like in the comic strip- when Peanuts doggie, Snoopy- visits his cousin. (Or was that his brother- oh, I don't remember. I just remember the cacti).
Then, there were rather elegant mountains. Small mountains in the distance, irregularly shaped; and different coloured. So that was not bad. The other nice thing was the WEATHER! I visited in the dead of Winter (in New York) but not in the desert!! Shirt-sleeve temperature.
Then we drove through a little 'settlement'. I suppose since they had a post office, one police car and a store, they called themselves a town. But it was a 'stained', soiled looking little settlement to me. They were rude on the highway, plus I was stopped by the ONLY fat cop there was, for nothing but BEING there. I am sure he just wanted to look at us, up and down, over and under. After his nosy questions, he said "Have a good trip". Boy, I wonder if that made his day, or conversation in the local brew house?
Driving for MILES through nothing but grey, black, adobe red, and stubble strewn country, makes you LONG for a city street and big CocaCola sign. Or maybe I am just 'a city slicker', without meaning to be? In defense, I sigh- "Even big cities have parks with green grass, and a shade tree." Out there in the desert, if you got stranded, I think the story would STILL be like the old 'death valley' movies-
bones bleaching in the sun.
Uh... Hello Alaska.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 820 • Replies: 6
No top replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 12:34 am
I've never been in the desert, but I don't think I'd like it either. I live in the country where everything is green except for the ocean.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 09:06 am
Jackie, when I first moved to Tucson then later Phoenix, from San Diego, California, I thought the same thing about the desert but then after a year or two I came to know the changes, the distinct differences in seasons and the various plants and cacti that grow at the different elevations. The desert requires more attention than other landscapes. I came to love that land as watched it closely.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 06:21 pm
Hi Gezzy, and Joanne,

Thanks for your commentary- I might visit the desert again sometime, hopefully in a different season, and see if that makes a difference.
Joanne, I have been to Phoenix. They "carved" a CITY out of that dry land, didn't they? The bright tile roofs on the houses there, fascinate me.
I have been to the Ocean more than once, Gezzy- and I LOVE it. But staring out, over ALL that water, takes my breath away, and frightens me a little. It is very beautiful, however.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 09:49 pm
Jackie
I know what you mean about the ocean. Sometimes I go on the beach alone and it's so peaceful, yet spooky at the same time. It's rare that people go to the beach out in front of our house because it's just a small beach and we are in the country, so when I go down there I'm all alone with the big ocean. I think it's such a cool feeling.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 09:55 pm
Conditioning plays a big part in what we perceive. I have been all over this nation and have long ago concluded that all of it is good. I would no more condemn a city for a desert or a desert for a city than I would cut off my ear or kick a dog for being mangy.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 06:39 pm
Thanks for responding edgarblythe. It is well that you find the earth to your liking. Smile

Don't mean to be condemning or 'kicking'. Just recalling a time that
once was.
0 Replies