Essential Blues

panzade

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:53 am
wow...GREAT report
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 07:58 pm
Sublime 1,
....White blues artists.... Bonnie Raitt, Joss Stone..... It seems to me there are a lot more white women with soulful sounds than men.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 05:55 pm
I am going to resurrect this thread after almost a year of disuse to ask if anyone knows what the significance of Johnny Cockaroo (sp?) is.

Other than he is apparently Bo Diddleys second cousin.

It seems as if I have heard several artists make reference to him.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 09:34 pm
i think it's a voodoo talisman given a personal name...what I remember.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 09:41 pm
I like some of Paul Butterfield's Blues Band work.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 10:41 pm
This thread has inspired me to play Bonnie Raitt's "Might Tight Woman"

That, my friends, is a hell of a song.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 12:16 am
You got that right Gus. Any chance you know where she got the tune?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 12:24 am
No one mentioned Willie Dixon - he should have been an absolute legend.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:9ikxlffe5cqe~T1
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 01:03 am
Kenny Wayne Shepard - Blue On Black, Last Goodbye

Johnny Lang - Lie To Me, Matchbox

Corey Stevens...actually a local boy, Southern Ill...plays a quite decent SRV style, had a hit with "It's Over".

Clapton's "Milkcow"...the version I listen to is fairly new, recorded in the last few years, he has a lefty playing backup slide.

Anything off the Hendrix "Blues" album, but my favorite is...Born Under A Bad Sign....it's dirty and raw, you can hear his amp and wah buzzin.

Ry Cooder - Feelin' Sad Blues. This is the guy that has written and played on several "Southern" themed movie soundtracks..most notably "Crossroads". I believe he did all of Ralph Macchio guitar parts... the good one's anyway.

Hank Sr. has one called "Ramblin Man"...I'm sure most don't consider it to technically {or otherwise} be a blues song, but it's close enough for me.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 11:26 am
Panzade Wrote
Quote:
i think it's a voodoo talisman given a personal name...what I remember.

Thanks Panzade, I wish I could remember where else I've heard it other than Mannish Boy.

Hingehead, I have picked up a bunch of Willie Dixon since I started this thread.

2PacksAday, what Ry Cooder album would you recommend?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 12:21 pm
sublime1 wrote:

Thanks Panzade, I wish I could remember where else I've heard it other than Mannish Boy.

Maybe Bo Diddley's "I'm A Man"
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 12:33 pm
That is what I meant to write, Mannish Boy is just a remake of Bo Diddley's song.

I know I have heard Buddy Guy make that reference also.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 06:49 pm
I have the album "Music By Ry Cooder" it's basically a GH album of his soundtrack work.

It covers several different styles.
0 Replies

11Bravo

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 07:33 am
Reply to Essential Blues Artist Request
I have been a blues player for some time... About thirty years or more... at my age, I can't remember....

If you really want to "understand" the genre, I agree that Robert Johnson would be a good one. He isn't the earliest and you may want to check out charlie patton, son house, etc.... Johnson was "modern" for his time and because of that, and the fact that most of the 29 recordings he left behind are classics like "sweet home chicago", "crossroads", etc. Johnson's heroes were Son House and Howlin' Wolf... I would check those out, for sure. I also agree with the same poster about Elmore James. There is no doubt that Elmore is a direct link beyond Robt Johnson... to me, Elmore not only invented modern slide technique, but was a forerunner to rock and roll. His signature lick is basically equivalent to the chuck berry lick.

My collection is filled with names many would never know or have ever heard of. Go grab some really early obscure stuff. One in particular I would look for (rag, blues, fingerpicking) is Arthur "Blind" Blake. You won't believe the finger picking by this guy, who left about 80 recordings and disappeared into obscurity...

If you like the jazzier side of it, check out Lonnie Johnson, he is one of my favorite chord guys....and of course don't forget T-Bone Walker.
Shheeeeesh, I could go on forever... Hope this helps a bit.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:01 am
Welcome to A2K 11 bravo...what a great post...I agree all the way.
I'd just add Son House to Patton's name and Willie Moore to Blake's...both wonderful finger pickers
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:30 pm
Thanks for the recommendations 11Bravo and welcome to A2K. Since I started this thread I have picked up a bunch of Robert Johnson and some Son House, Elmore James, and Howlin' Wolf. I will be on the lookout for Arthur "Blind" Blake and Lonnie Johnson.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 02:34 pm
When speaking of the blues, and I will direct this question directly at Panzade, where would you place someone like Roy Buchanon?

Would he be considered blues?

Or simply one of the, if not the best, guitar players to ever stroll the planet.

I will await your reply.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 08:13 pm
Gustav, you do me a great honor.
In my humble opinion Roy Buchanon ranks up there with the greats.
I got to see him quite a few times since we both lived in Northern Virginia.
His records don't do justice to his unique style. Alas, his life was cut short in a mysterious accident at the Fairfax County jail.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 06:40 pm
Mystery solved.

John(ny) (the) Concheroe/
Conqueroo/
Conqueror
1 - When Willie Dixon/Muddy Waters sings in "Hoochie Coochie Man" that he has "a John(ny) the Choncheroe/Conqueroo," he means a (High) John the Conqueror root - the hard, woody tuber of Ipomoea jalapa, a relative of the common sweet potato. In magical practice, the root is not ingested, probably because it is an extremely powerful laxative. Instead it is used whole, carried on the person as a pocket piece or as an ingredient in a mojo bag, especially one designed to draw money, bring luck at games of chance, or enhance personal sexual power.
Omar & The Howlers, Pushin' Fire, Willie Dixon, (I'm your) Hoochie Coochie Man
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 12:36 am
sublimely done!
0 Replies