http://www.iem.ac.ru/EC/images/covers/blues_breakers.gif
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 11:26 pm
I'll be sure to check that out.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 03:49 pm
Have you heard of an old song called Rumble by Link Ray [or Wray}. Heard it on John peel once. Wonderin if it was available on Cd.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:27 am
Sublime, sort of OT but the Ravinia schedule just came out. There are a few shows I'll be going to: Chick Corea, Blind Boys, Aretha, Buddy Guy, Elvis Costello, maybe others.

Quote:
Pop, jazz and hip-hop artists to play Ravinia

ravinia schedule

Get dates for:
• Elvis Costello
• Emmylou Harris
• Cheap Trick
• Wyclef Jean
• Los Lonely Boys
• Ben Folds
• Rufus Wainwright
• Lyle Lovett
• Susan Tedeschi
• McCoy Tyner
• Tony Bennett
• Gipsy Kings
• Aretha Franklin
• Buddy Guy
• Jonny Lang
• Blind Boys of Alabama
• Full schedule

By Howard Reich
Tribune arts critic

Jazz legends Chick Corea and McCoy Tyner, cabaret divas Barbara Cook and Sylvia McNair and hip-hop performer Wyclef Jean will headline the Ravinia Festival's pop and jazz season, the Highland Park-based organization has announced.

Jean's appearance, on July 11, will bring hip-hop sounds to the Ravinia Festival for the first time, while the jazz and cabaret performers will appear on specific series dedicated to these genres.

The annual Jazz in June lineup will begin June 16, with "Big Band Night," featuring the Chicago-area debut of trumpeter Irvin Mayfield's New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, on a triple-bill with Dizzy Gillespie's All-Star Big Band and the Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra. Pianist Toshiko Akiyoshi will open the evening.

Jazz in June will continue on June 17 with an "Evening of Jazz, Gospel and Dance" spotlighting the McCoy Tyner Trio, tap-dance virtuoso Savion Glover and the James Memorial Sanctuary Choir, in a venture organized by pianist Ramsey Lewis, who also serves as director of jazz at Ravinia.

On June 18, Lewis plays a piano recital.

And on June 19, Jazz in June concludes with Corea and his Spanish-tinged Touchstone band, saxophonist Branford Marsalis and the Ellis Marsalis Quartet.

The Martinis at the Martin cabaret series will present Wesla Whitfield, June 8; Barbara Cook, June 19 and 20; Sylvia McNair, July 10; Tovah Feldshuh, Aug. 14-15; and Betty Buckley, Aug. 28-29.

In pop, the festival will present Cheap Trick, June 10; the BoDeans, June 11; a double-bill of Susan Tedeschi and the Blind Boys of Alabama, June 15; a live national broadcast of Garrison Keillor's "A Prairie Home Companion," June 18; the Doobie Brothers, June 22; The Beach Boys, June 28; Wyclef Jean, July 11; Alison Krauss and Union Station, July 6; Lyle Lovett, July 12 and 13; "ABBA: The Music," performed by the "official tribute band," July 22; Eartha Kitt and Nellie McKay in "Play It Again: The Film Music of Woody Allen," with Dick Hyman, July 26; Elvis Costello and Emmylou Harris, July 27.

The pop offerings will continue with India and Tiempo Libre, Aug. 3; Ben Folds and Rufus Wainwright, Aug. 10; Chaka Khan with the Ravinia Festival Orchestra, Aug. 13; Aretha Franklin, Aug. 17-18; Tony Bennett, Aug. 19; Los Lonely Boys, Aug. 20; Gipsy Kings, Aug. 30 and 31.

The pop-music attractions will conclude with "Hot Summer Nights," featuring Al Jarreau, Cassandra Wilson and The Rippingtons, featuring Russ Freeman, Sept. 1; Buddy Guy Electric and Jonny Lang Acoustic Band, Sept. 2; and Hootie and the Blowfish, Sept. 10.

Tickets go on sale April 14 at www.ravinia.org.

For more information, call 847-266-5100.

----------

[email protected]

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:23 am
Tino wrote:
Have you heard of an old song called Rumble by Link Ray [or Wray}. Heard it on John peel once. Wonderin if it was available on Cd.

Rumble is very available. The local AM station used it as a theme song for one of the DJ's. It spurred a lot of guys to learn the guitar.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:07 pm
I picked up the John Mayall/Eric Clapton disc this afternoon. Great! I also got another BB King anthology and a Best of Taj Mahal.

I read a good review of Bela Fleck and the Flectones Greatest Hits. I bought it but I haven't listened to it yet.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:00 pm
Thanks JB, I'm surprised XRT hasn't mentioned it yet. I will definitely make it to Ravinia this year.
I have always wanted to see the Gipsy Kings and there are at least five other bands that are just great.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 09:46 am
J_B wrote:

I read a good review of Bela Fleck and the Flectones Greatest Hits. I bought it but I haven't listened to it yet.

I like it a lot! Sort of a crossover between blues, jazz, and bluegrass. The anthology is in mostly chronilogical order with picks from throughout the '90s. Sam Bush, Howard Levy, Dave Matthews, and Paul McCandless guest on a different songs.

Makes me want to check out some of the other cds that these are pulled from.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:48 am
panzade wrote:
Nice.

I can't stand Clapton lately but this album he did with John Mayall is a must

I've been listening to this through my internal laptop speakers. Mr B installed some new speakers through my docking station and now I'm listening to it with good speakers. WOW!!!
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 11:36 am
Elmore James......Bonnie Raitt...... Howling Wolf...
Little Milton
0 Replies

Diamond Dave

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:29 pm
LUTHER ALLISON
LUTHR ALLISON was the best live performer I ever saw in any venue.

Luther Allison
- "Luther's Blues" or "Live in Chicago" work for me

Marcia Ball
- "Let Me Play with your Poodle" is great Bayou-blues CD

Roomful of Blues
- "Standing Room Only" (best Blues Cd of 2005, so far)

William Clark - "Blowin Like Hell" (RIP Harp man)

Tommy Castro - Essential (a good place to start)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:46 pm
Hey! What a treat. Welcome to a2k. You're obviously into the real modern blues and this gives me a chance to toss a hand grenade. White groups like Room Full Of Blues...are they really blues artists or are they pale copies? Marcia Ball too. Can white people sing the blues?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:21 pm
http://www.mrsolar.com/Merchant2/graphics/site/left_arrow.gif

:wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:04 pm
Ahem....you're kidding ...right?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:25 pm
That was a joke Pan.
I have to admit I can't think of any great white blues artists. A couple come to mind that have put out some great bluesy songs (SRV, Janis Joplin, or even the Allman Brothers), Eric Clapton is genius but I'm not sure I would consider him strictly blues.

So in answer to your inquiry, white people can sing the blues but only sporadically.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 07:03 am
In my mind there's just John Hammond and Delbert McClinton who come close. And The Blues Brothers...well they made a TON of money off of REAL blues artists.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:28 pm
I see you already have B.B., but if you are among those who think 'The Thrill Is Gone", is his early stuff, try an album titled, "The Very Best Of B.B. King". It contains a lot of his Fifties stuff like "Five Long Years", "Sweet Little Angel", and My all time favorite, "Sweet Sixteen Blues".
I suppose you realize most artist's best work is done in the early years, when they are still hungrey. This is especially true with the blues. So you might want to see if you can find some of Bonnie Raitt's stuff from the seventies. That's when I fell in Love with Her.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:36 pm
This was the one. Recorded in a garage...with Junior Wells helping out. It's a great blues album.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005Q46B.01._PE8_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:05 pm
Re: LUTHER ALLISON
Diamond Dave wrote:
LUTHR ALLISON was the best live performer I ever saw in any venue.

Luther Allison
- "Luther's Blues" or "Live in Chicago" work for me

Marcia Ball
- "Let Me Play with your Poodle" is great Bayou-blues CD

Roomful of Blues
- "Standing Room Only" (best Blues Cd of 2005, so far)

William Clark - "Blowin Like Hell" (RIP Harp man)

Tommy Castro - Essential (a good place to start)

I saw Luther's last performance before he died, at Summerfest in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. One hell of a performer. Good sense of humor, too. I just remember him clowning around while soloing.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 06:13 pm
We returned from Jazz Fest, New Orleans on Sunday. What a BLAST!! I spent most of my time in the blues tent, or at the food concessions, but I"m definately going back.

'Gatemouth' Brown
BB King
Marcia Ball
Tom "Blues Man" Hunter
John Butler Trio
C.J. Chenier & the Red Hot Louisiana Band
Tab Benoit
and others, were all good.

My favorite in the jazz tent was Michael Ward, a jazz violinist, who is great - even better than Regina Carter, IMO, and I like her a lot too.

We got rained out on Saturday and decided to hit some of the French Quarter bars instead of the fest. We had just as much fun doing that. My friend described New Orleans as 'Disney Land for adults'. I can't wait to go back next year.
0 Replies