TAJ MAHAL ...accessible and heavenly.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:51 am
Right on sister! Me and cinn are goo goo about his "Natchl Blues" album
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:51 am
pan is that the one that has "fishin' blues" ?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:55 am
I think that's on "Giant Step" One side is electric blues, the other is acoustic blues.

Incidentally "Fishin Blues" was originally by Henry Thomas, an overlooked bluesman I listed on my countdown
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:56 am
Best of Taj Mahal is an excellent, concise collection, but it doesn't have "Ain't That a Lot of Love."
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 08:59 am
dyslexia, that's on the remastered Best of. (Sony 2000)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Feb, 2005 09:19 am
well anyway I always thought that fishin' blues was a great tune. I also really like Papa John Creetch (sp?) and Bobby Blue Bland did the best ever Stormy Monday.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 07:46 pm
If anyone is interested WXRT is playing A Buddy Guy concert from legends, and they are streaming on the web. There is about 45 min left. BTW this was the concert I was at and the inspiration for this thread.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 08:08 pm
I was mistaken the concert is live from the auto show.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 07:17 am
Anybody that wants to see what radio should sound like check out their playlist

http://www.93xrt.com/program/previously/
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:33 pm
I have been listening to XRT for about six years and from what I understand it used to be even better back in the sixties.

Happy I could share it with ya.

Panzade, did you catch any of that concert?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:45 pm
Being a blues thread I thought I would mention that they play an hour of blues every monday at 9:00pm central. Tonight Mavis Staples is going to be in studio playing a few live songs.
0 Replies

loislane17

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:46 pm
So many spectacular choices listed here. Lovin' Taj--I see him frequently in SF (sometimes at the supermarket)--and you have the kings. There are plenty of fabulous compilation cd's of blues.

There's a series that does it by genre: Preachin' the Blues, Saturday Night Blues, Guitar Blues etc. and tons by the artists.

Alligator Records has a few fab. compilation multi cd sets for their anniversary, and a lot of the real old guys have some ancient cd compilations. Since the masters aren't great anyway, it's silly to pay top dollar for the ancient stuff unless they've done real work on the masters!

Did anyone say Guitar Slim and Magic Sam's Blues Band (West Side Soul!!!) and and and...whew. almost got rev'ed up there.

Anyway, maybe if you get some compilation stuff or listen to the radio a lot to programs folks mentioned, you'll get an idea of what kind of blues you like. There's Mississippi Blues, Memphis Blues, Chicago Blues, Texas Blues and even English blues; there's blues that's based on harp, piano and every kind and style of guitar!
I likes almost all of it. IN fact I'm looking at a poster in my little cubicle here at work that says, "most folks don't listen to the blues, they feel 'em"
Amen!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:54 pm
bm
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:02 pm
Whoever suggested Hound dog Taylor, Thank You!
That is some great music, I also picked up a South Side Chicago blues disc with songs from the 50's, 60's and 70's.

I'm just getting started. The store I was at had a whole section of blues and most of the CD's were about $8.00.

Has anyone heard the new Albert Sumlin(sp?) track with Keith Richards on vocals. I'm curious as to what the rest of the disc is like.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:21 pm
The one's you've listed plus:

Ted Hawkins
Koko Taylor
Blind Boys of Alabama

Contemporary Artists:
Taj Mahal
Blues Traveler
Eric Clapton
Robert Cray - Mr B says no, but I like him
Room Full of Blues - ditto above

I have more, I need to go look at my collection...
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:31 pm
Oddly enough JB I caught Blues Traveler at the Jazz Fest, Government Mule sat in with them for a couple songs.
(I'm jealous, BB King is playing the weekend you are going to be there)

XRT has been playing some Blind Boys of Alabama and I like what I've heard.
Eric Clapton is one of my favorite artists, Me and Mr. Johnson is a great tribute with some awesome songs.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 08:13 pm
Blues Traveler, Blind Boys from Alabama, and Robert Cray have all been at Ravinia the last two years. Well worth the $15.00 for a lawn ticket.

edit: How 'bout Stevie Ray Vaughan?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 08:25 pm
I also love SRV. had a couple of compilations of his but recently bought Texas Flood. The title track is my favorite.

Believe it or not I have not been to Ravinia, I tried to get tickets to Norah Jones but they sold out.

This summer I have to get up there.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 11:05 pm
Just got the new Hubert Sumlin disc "About Them Shoes"

Awesome disc, first track is I'm Ready with Clapton on vocals and guitar, then Still a Fool with Keith Richards on the same.

The entire disc consists of old standards by McKinley Morganfield and Willie Dixon.
0 Replies