Morals are relative, fact or just more bias?

theantibuddha

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 07:15 am
wandeljw wrote:
How much do morals vary from person to person?

12.3 centimetres. (approx 4.84 inches)

Quote:
Is the reason for the variance tied to specific cultures or social units?

No.

Quote:
Is it possible that there are more similarities than differences among all cultures or societies?

Unlikely.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:18 am
antibud,

I was not trying to be argumentative. My questions are open for anyone to comment.

I can only speak for myself: I am not satisfied by either abstract metaphysical explanations nor clinical anthropological explanations. My idea that morals can be universal is only based on personal intuition. I have a feeling that most people would react the same way to certain evil acts.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:25 am
wandeljw wrote:
antibud,

I was not trying to be argumentative. My questions are open for anyone to comment.

Nor was I, I was just in a short-spoken mood at the point that I wrote those replies. It occurs infrequently, normally I write pages where only a few lines are needed. The first line was a joke though.

Quote:
I can only speak for myself: I am not satisfied by either abstract metaphysical explanations nor clinical anthropological explanations. My idea that morals can be universal is only based on personal intuition. I have a feeling that most people would react the same way to certain evil acts.

Like?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 09:46 am
antibud,

Certain evil acts would include things like rape, murder, abuse of children. There also seems to be a universal prohibition of acts such as incest.

I have no metaphysical or anthropological justification for believing that any of the above are universally condemned. Is there any morality inherent in "human nature" itself?
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 07:37 pm
wandeljw wrote:
rape

In most cultures considered a right of a soldier during wartime. From the viking raiders to the tutsi armies in Rwanda.

Quote:
murder

You know, aside from war, punishment of crimes and maybe if he's black.

Quote:
abuse of children.

Catholic church

Quote:
incest.

Pharoanic dynasties of ancient Egypt.

Lol, I'm just being difficult. As I said, there are certain simularities which occur through our genetic code, I'm not denying that you will find certain universals of morality. Just showing how cultures will have fairly different ideas of things.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 11:38 pm
Morals are universals in which the only differences between cultures, or even that of people, are the presence of exceptions.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 12:54 am
Ray wrote:
Morals are universals in which the only differences between cultures, or even that of people, are the presence of exceptions.

In other words the only place there are differences are where there are differences. Thankyou for your truistic contribution. I look forward to the surprise announcement that water is wet.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 10 Feb, 2005 01:07 am
Quote:
In other words the only place there are differences are where there are differences. Thankyou for your truistic contribution. I look forward to the surprise announcement that water is wet.

Most cultures condemn killing, but applies the rule differently to certain groups of people. Thus, they are making exceptions to their own morals. That is the message that you seem to have missed.
0 Replies