Proper study?- Being active for Gender Equality/ Child Protection or Basic Education (unicef etc.)

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 02:34 pm
Hey guys,

I'd like to work in this field (in my far, far future). I'm still a 10th-grader so I've got "much" time. Nevertheless, I'd like to know what the proper study at uni for working in the field of gender equality/ child protection or for being a teacher etc. in unicef or other aid organisations is.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,072 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 02:42 pm
@CrazyMausi2000,
I'm not so sure it'll matter that much.

At least where I went to undergrad, the social work degrees started at the Master's level (for 'child protection' - I know a guy who used to be a social worker and now directs small independent horror movies - so background might potentially be more fluid than you might think). As for teaching - study what you would like to teach/what you can get the best grades in. Also where I went for undergrad, there was a college just for education and future teachers went there, learning things like child development, etc.

I also know teachers in the US (I realize you are in the UK, probably, as the term 'uni' isn't really used in the US by most people) who didn't take any sort of education courses but instead just studied for and passed the licensing exam.

One practical thing you can do is to start considering schools you might like to attend, based on everything from cost to location to reputation, etc., and see what their requirements are. A generalized list of requirements won't help you that much if your dream school turns out to have a different plan.
CrazyMausi2000

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 02:57 pm
@jespah,
Thanks. Okay. It's just kinda more difficult cos I live in Germany. And I'd want to work for unicef abroad (like in those countries no human with sanity would go to). BTW, in Saxony, where I come from, I couldn't choose as teacher which school I'd like to attend.
jespah

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2018 06:01 pm
@CrazyMausi2000,
I'm not so sure I understand. Are you saying that if you want to go to a university, you just go wherever you're sent, and with no choice in the matter?
0 Replies

CrazyMausi2000

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2018 03:43 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

One practical thing you can do is to start considering schools you might like to attend, based on everything from cost to location to reputation, etc., and see what their requirements are.

I meant that I can't consider which school I attend in my future in Germany
jespah

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2018 09:15 am
@CrazyMausi2000,
How interesting - and I had no idea things were like that (which seems to semi-contradict this article: http://www.wiwo.de/erfolg/campus-mba/auswahlverfahren-der-universitaeten-studenten-in-der-testmuehle/5523092.html), so my apologies. I don't want to steer you wrong.

However, if you have no choice, then you would know where you're going and can ask them or check their website, yes?
CrazyMausi2000

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2018 12:17 pm
@jespah,
Yea, thanks. Maybe it is a silly question in a rather English-speaking country community. Thanks anyway. Maybe I could study something like social work, social pedagogy or gender studies. It's just difficult to find proper courses in Germany. I reckon it'd be more appropiate as English course
I still got 2 and a half years to consider that :-)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2018 12:20 pm
@CrazyMausi2000,
CrazyMausi2000 wrote:
I couldn't choose as teacher which school I'd like to attend.

can you rewrite this in German please

___

it seems like an awkward translation and doesn't make much sense in English

I might understand it better in German
0 Replies