Confused and Soulsearching.

duce

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 08:29 am
T. Anti B:

Like You I think this discussion better reserved for another thread but FYI

N.Man referenced Neandtherals and Chro. Man
references Chromagnum Man, History indicated the co existence of Homo Sapiens w N. Man. Start a Thread.

IMHO Science and Religion can co-exist and in fact partner.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:02 am
**you mean Cro-Magnon i assume right? Lol, last time i checked we didnt have a species of man named after a gun.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:00 pm
duce wrote:
N.Man referenced Neandtherals and Chro. Man
references Chromagnum Man, History indicated the co existence of Homo Sapiens w N. Man. Start a Thread.

Thankyou but if you believe that Homo neanderthalensis and Cro Magnon have a missing link between them you need to brush up on your taxonomy a little.

Cro Magnon is a Homo Sapiens, much like us and thus evolved from Homo Heidelbergensis whereas Homo Neanderthalensis is neither Cro Magnon's nor our progenitor. Neandertal man is our cousin (having also evolved from Homo Erectus) not our ancestor.

The co-existance of us sapiens and our neandertal cousins is a fascinating topic that provokes much thought on religion, culture and history, yet only those who know very little about human evolution thinks that it's a problem with evolution. It's a problem on about the same level as "if we evolved from apes why are there apes still around?".

Quote:
IMHO Science and Religion can co-exist and in fact partner.

As long as religion doesn't run around saying "Science, I know you've done lots of experiments and have tons of proof, but what you've said is wrong 'cause we've got a dusty book of old fairy tales that contradicts that" then I'm sure that they can get along famously.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:01 pm
Etruscia wrote:
**you mean Cro-Magnon i assume right? Lol, last time i checked we didnt have a species of man named after a gun.

Wouldn't it be cool if we did though?
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 03:52 pm
I think so, if we ever get a really ballistic species of human, thats what we'll name it.
0 Replies