Eminem

nimh

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:31 pm
Not to say that it wasnt easier for him to break through cause he was white - I mean, that must be true, for sure. He got to all the suburban kids, who before him hadnt dared make the jump to Ice Cube or something. ****, he rapped about that himself, like Anastasia pointed out here two years ago: "See the problem is, I speak to suburban kids / who otherwise woulda never knew these words exist / [..] they connected with me too because I looked like them". And record companies, too, marketed him to the white suburban kids like they hadnt done with Eazy-E, just like Elvis was marketed to the same kids who werent allowed to listen to the black r'n'b singers (tho with the gangsta rap now that's all changed). So race plays a role, for sure.

And in a way I'm guessing that he was actually able to take his raps a step further, and put himself out there as a kind of twisted or tormented soul or something, because he was white, too. A black rapper who, at that time, would have wanted to go there would probably have been whistled back by his producer or record company - you know: "hey, thats not the role you're supposed to play - we hired you as a gangsta rapper, dont you have some rap about gangs and living in the hood to come up with?" Perhaps he got to be the first major rapper to transgress the format into something more complex because a white guy could get away with that, while if a black rapper at the time had told his record company, hey I wanna cut a track in which I dis my mom, they woulda gone not on my label you're not. Possible. Race plays a role, absolutely. But nothing like as simplistic as Snood put it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:33 pm
El-Diablo wrote:
new album=horrible **** and he should die for making it

LOL!

But "Mosh" was pretty good tho - or was it just that the vid was so amazing?
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 07:58 pm
Mosh was ok and the vid was good.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 08:11 pm
Snood, you don't know what you're talking about. If a white rapper could be as big as Em based on hype, there would be a lot more successful white rappers. He's GOOD. Not only that, he's got a great producer on his side.

There's been other white rappers that have come and gone, Vanilla Ice, Snow, and they were a joke.

And no doubt black people have had huge influences and have introduced groundbreaking sounds in music....nothing to do with this thread. The whole black/white thing is stupid. Music is music.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:00 pm
Without Snow, there never would have been N.W.A.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:03 pm
That's right.

And without Vanilla Ice, I never would have gotten my ass kicked for wearing Skidz overalls.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:32 pm
nimh wrote:
We had a BIG discussion on Eminem versus Tupac on the Foshizzle my nizzle thread, comparing lyrics and everything - and Eminem's are just a level more complex.

Speaking of which, I have been meaning to tell you that since that discussion I have heard more Eminem and have both more respect and distaste for him.

Sometimes he hits it right and his twisted nature works well, sometimes it sounds like a kid trying to convince the world that he's messed up in the head.

Either way, I've come to appreciate Cleaning out my Closet a great deal, though I still don't see it as being something to compare with Dear Mama.
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:22 am
El-Diablo wrote:

Eminem gets pretty **** annoying sometimes. Like when he tries to be funny.

I think you will find that most people on this thread think he is quite funny, although some of the Americanisms like references to Tom Greene and Hilary Duff [I have no idea who she is] do go over our heads here in the UK. Laughing
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:30 am
Tino wrote:
Hilary Duff [I have no idea who she is]

Good. Keep it that way. Trust me.
0 Replies

Chris Tey

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 06:09 am
anybody wants to battle...?
0 Replies

Chris Tey

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 06:53 am
I love Eminem, he's like a idol for me... The Stan video really moved me, and i feeled bad for Stan, if i just could get Em's adress i would write him, please give me his adress, if you have it, n'kay?
PLEASE!!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:06 am
Chris Tey wrote:
anybody wants to battle...?

Rap battles

Neverending Rap Battle

Rap Battle V2.0

NeverEnding Rap Battle *2* Brought to u by the P.L.O Crew

battilin

crazy battlin

neva endin rap

nebie
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:50 am
I think he's sexy....and he grew up a few miles from where I live. I am on the "other side of 8 Mile". Laughing

And while I don't agree with a lot of his lyrics, I respect him for saying what he wants to say. He takes very good care of his daughter.

oh, and he's sexy as hell. Very Happy
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 09:18 am
smog wrote:
Tino wrote:
Hilary Duff [I have no idea who she is]

Good. Keep it that way. Trust me.

Looks like I don't have much choice if you're not gonna tell me! It's still a very funny verse though. Like listening to a socially niave man saying what we all know should be left unspoken, except that Eminem is anything but socially niave, very clever wordplay. Surprised
0 Replies

DJ Drow2

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:08 am
Eminem rules
because his songs make sense and they talk to you
and he sings about normal things that can happen to all

ALL POWER TO EMINEM
0 Replies

music-lover

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 02:39 pm
i don't mind most of his songs, for example 'Like Toy Soldiers' that rele speaks out to me and ' Till I Collapse' makes me feel energetic and want to play footie or somthing like that, Eminem is a v.good rapper but i would listen to Snoop Dogg or Dr. DRE, simply because they r less meaningful and dont dis their families durin the process
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:20 pm
I don't like Dr Dre as a rapper at all, I find him monotonous and faintly depressing, that's probably why Snoop did most of the rapping on "The Chronic" though it was released under Dre's name. Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 05:21 pm
Is this anything like M&M?
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:35 am
So when's the new stuff due out then? Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:43 am
cicerone imposter wrote: