Eminem

PDiddie

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 03:02 am
"8 Mile" made an impression on me for showing the grinding poverty and "one-shot" mentality from a white Midwestern POV, something cinema rarely does any more.

MNM deserved the Oscar.
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 12:04 pm
he knows ...
I think eminem is brilliant. He's made millions doing something other Americans PAY someone to do - he's psychoanalyzed himself, and he understands himself. Sure he's crazy - and angry. Anyone would be, having gone through his life. I know - I'm one of "Anyone". He's channelled it in a positive direction. He is teaching our youth that it's OK to be angry. They need to get THAT message before they'll feel validated enough to DO something about the anger - instead of it coming out in unconscious ways. Maybe that's the way to get better. I bet eminem is a much happier person than he used to be - and I DO NOT think that's because of the fame or the money.

He's priveledged in one very special way - he's a white guy who grew up heavily influenced by the African American speech community. He grew up surrounded by orally literate culture - so he learned how to rap just like any black guy did - by being immersed in it. He also had white culture at home - so he learned something his black friends didn't - that it's OK to air your dirty laundry in a certain way. Eminem knew it was OK to dis his (own) mama. I think that's a really interesting point - I mean the cross-culturalism.

I think the guy is hilarious:

But sometimes the **** just seems,
Everybody only wants to discuss me
So this means I'm disgusting,
But its just me I'm just obscene

And it's not just the brilliant lyrics - the man is brilliantly expressive.

HE knows why he's so popular - I'll leave you with this (although it doesn't work as well unless you hear it - it's orally-based communication, after all! <g>):

<returns from search>

um ... it seems I am not able to find the lyrics to "White Americans" on the Internet. (So much for free speech?)

that's really odd. anyone know why?

anastasia
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 12:15 pm
um ... a little liberal paranoia?
... or the problem could be ME, and the fact that I steal misnamed songs from kazaa ... Embarrassed

ok, so ...

See the problem is, I speak to suburban kids
who otherwise woulda never knew these words exist
Whose moms probably woulda never gave two squirts of piss
'til I created so much motherfuckin turbulence!
Straight out the tube, right into your living rooms I came
And kids flipped, when they knew I was produced by Dre
That's all it took, and they were instantly hooked right in
And they connected with me too because I looked like them
That's why they put my lyrics up under this microscope
Searchin with a fine tooth comb, it's like this rope
waitin to choke; tightenin around my throat
Watchin me while I write this, like I don't like this (Nope!)
All I hear is: lyrics, lyrics, constant controversy, sponsors working
round the clock to try to stop my concerts early, surely
Hip-Hop was never a problem in Harlem only in Boston
After it bothered the fathers of daughters startin to blossom
So now I'm catchin the flack from these activists when they raggin
Actin like I'm the first rapper to smack a bitch or say faggot, ****!
Just look at me like I'm your closest pal
The posterchild, the motherfuckin spokesman now for..

White America! I could be one of your kids
White America! Little Eric looks just like this
White America! Erica loves my ****
I go to TRL; look how many hugs I get!

what's TRL?
stasia
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 12:18 pm
Here ya' go:

http://display.lyrics.astraweb.com:2000/display.cgi?eminem%2E%2Ethe_eminem_show%2E%2Ewhite_america
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 12:44 am
thanks slappy ... <g>
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 03:41 am
whatever
I am in the process of thinking that i dont really care what eminem does, or says. hes doing it for effect and By Jove!! its working.... Good 4 him i say Very Happy
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Wed 14 May, 2003 03:43 am
TRL
TRL is an MTV music show: Total Request Live Very Happy
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 04:52 am
thanks annifa. <smiles> that was driving me nuts.
0 Replies

BitterSweetMemories

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 06:55 pm
I personally love Eminem. He's one of the few rappers I like alot. I love his lyrics. My favs are "Sing For The Moment", "Halies Song", "Stan" and "The way I am". I can relate to these four songs the most. I loved 8 Mile aswell all the free styles were the best. I also liked the sound track. I can understand why some people are against Eminem with some of his songs like "Superman" in that song everyone was bitching because he was dissing women I actually dont think that is what he was doing. I think he was making the point he doesnt want a slut for a girl friend. I liked the song "Square Dance" alot aswell mostly because it was dissing Bush Twisted Evil ( Laughing muwahahaha).
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Thu 29 May, 2003 07:21 pm
I was hesitant at first to listen to his stuff -- you know, white rapper = Vanilla Ice, right? But my husband bought some of his stuff and I had to admit that he was definately talented. We watched 8 Mile a couple of weeks ago and I loved it -- his performance was very cool.
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 06:06 am
talent. kid's got it.

(KID? he'd older than me! <g> by days.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 07:10 pm
Bizarre news story of the day ...

Quote:
Man dies in Eminem T-shirt row

Tuesday, November 4, 2003
Posted: 1153 GMT ( 7:53 PM HKT)

ISTANBUL,Turkey (Reuters) -- A Turkish man was stabbed to death after hawking T-shirts depicting U.S. rap superstar Eminem because a man mistook the sales pitch as an insult to his mother, Turkish newspapers said on Tuesday.

A knife fight broke out in an Istanbul suburb after 19-year-old Dilaver Akkurt told T-shirt vendor Hayrettin Demir his mother was named Emine and lived in the area, Hurriyet newspaper said.

"Eminem" means "my Emine" in Turkish.

Akkurt warned Demir to stop shouting "Eminem" and to cease sales of the clothing inscribed with the star's name and image.

Police believe Demir, who died at the scene from multiple stab wounds, was killed by a friend of Akkurt's in the brawl in Istanbul's Kucukcekmece district, Hurriyet said.

Police have detained Akkurt, who was being treated in hospital for wounds, and are still searching for Demir's killer, the newspaper said.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 11:00 pm
PDiddie wrote:
He caught much flak for lyrics advocating violence, as do many rappers.

I find it amusing that people cannot distinguish between his kind of performance and, say, the actor in a movie who shoots other actors. Does Robert Dinero come under the same criticism?

It's performance art.

I like Eminem. Actually I should say I respect him in a way. I can understand that people would make a comparison with actors on that level. But when the story teller has lived the story then it really isn't "acting" it is more of telling. He lived out his words. So it isn't acting. That is him. He is a smart man. He made 50 cent. He has greatness ahead of him. But so did so many other people in this field of music. But they also "acted" with their music and ended up dead. 50 Cent was shot, what?, 9 times?

Music has more of a power over people. It gets the beat stuck in the heads and the lyrics. It can be very hypnotic to some. The reason actors do not get the flack is because their lives, most of them, do not compare with their jobs. Rapers get shot, are in shot outs, have guns and wear so much crap. They say they are only performers but it is hard to see that when they live what they sing about.

Emeinm may not rap about "love" or "not in love" but he is not a happy person. Speaking of taking a joke, he was a little none jokey when the Insult Dog talked to him at the MTV Video Awards. He takes himself to seriously. It seems it is okay that he can make fun of people, but people are not allowed to make fun of him. And the point may be brought out that he went on stage with another puppet (which was very funny) but he physically assaulted the handicapped puppet. Everything around him is violence -except his child-which he claims that he allows her to listen to his music.

If he has not talked to a psychiatrist he needs to. I have to say it again I think he is a very smart man and will be around a long time if he does not play the gangster card ever. He has a very good way with words, but I think it is either a front, if not he needs to work on it or he'll never see grandchildren. Or he could have the same relationship with his kid as he does with his mom. It is doom to repeat itself.
0 Replies

Chris Tey

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 05:01 am
det er bar' fee :p
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:13 pm
Re: he knows ...
I just found this thread so excuse me while I respond to things that I read a few pages back.

Little Devil, I think that the reason Eminem seems to have "fun" on his cds is because the man loves words, he plays with words like a gleeful poet and his enjoyment comes over to the listener, that is something that would be hard to fake. However, I think some tracks on Encore are of darker mood than before - thinking of "Like toy soldiers" as i write this - and I do hope this is not indicative of a future direction.

Slappy Doo Hoo writes about Eminem's "flow" and I would like to add to that that it is also about "fit", fitting the rap upon or over the backing track. Some rap artists - like Vanilla Ice and Dr Dre himself [he should stick to producing in my opinion] - are excruciatingly bad at this "fitting" in comparison to Eminem.

Anastasia's post was excellent, and the particular lyric you quoted is one of my favourites, and worth quoting again:
But sometimes the **** just seems
Everybody only wants to discuss me
So this means I'm disgusting
But it's just me I'm just obscene. Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:28 pm
His new album has some hilarious stuff in it.

Hilary Duff is...not quite old enough yet,
So I ain't never seen a butt like that.

Maybe next year I'll say ass,
and she'll make my peepee go, doing doing doing.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:38 pm
I think a lot of people who are so impressed by the "genius" of Eminem are blind to the extra hype he receives simply for being white. I say that because it seems that they rave on and on about him, but have never heard of Gil Scott-Heron or the Last Poets, and have never listened to a whole Tribe Album in their lives.

I think black people invented rock and roll, and Elvis got the credit.

I think it sucks when white people coopt black people's art and get adulation and fortune from it, and everyone behaves as if they invented something.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:10 pm
snood wrote:
I think a lot of people who are so impressed by the "genius" of Eminem are blind to the extra hype he receives simply for being white. I say that because it seems that they rave on and on about him, but have never heard of Gil Scott-Heron or the Last Poets, and have never listened to a whole Tribe Album in their lives.

I think black people invented rock and roll, and Elvis got the credit.

I think it sucks when white people coopt black people's art and get adulation and fortune from it, and everyone behaves as if they invented something.

Did you actually ever sit down and listen to an Eminem album, Snood?

I'm asking cause I was saying the exact same you are now, couple years back. My upper-class horse-riding downstairs neighbour girl in the student house got all into Eminem, and I was - yawn - come on - he just got famous cause he's white, when he's just redoing the same stuff Ice-T or NWA was doing ten bleedin' years ago. And if you want real power, forget the gangsta stuff, put on a PE album.

Seemed like an obvious enough conclusion to draw, right - what, with the history of the thing, like you already mention, Elvis stealing the best of black music of his time, smoothing it down to a level that white people would be able to swallow, and bingo. Sure wouldnt be the first time.

But I definitely changed my mind. Kind of not by choice: Anastasia was all into Eminem (see above), and she was playing it all the time - at first it drove me crazy, I come home from work, Eminem's blasting, the mood is loud and angry - ****. He started really grating me, I still have an acute negative emotional reaction to some of his tracks. But, it being so up close and Stasia being so into it, I had to sit myself down and just actually listen to it - look into what was happening, here. I looked up the lyrics and listened to the same tracks again, lyrics in hand - and it showed me so much. I got impressed. This guy's no ordinary rapper.

What I like most about him is that he went beyond so many of the stereotype formats that'd gotten to reign over hip-hop by the mid-/late nineties. He didnt just come with more of the - you know - my homies are better than yours, a gangsta's life on the street's tough, lemme sing about my heroic ghetto mum, the police is down on us all, f*ck 'em" stuff - I mean, all that needed to be said too, I remember how hard-hitting Boyz N The Hood was - but it'd become cookie-cutter staple fare by then. And he came and just got up close and personal. Telling a life history that didnt just offer yet another prototype, another rapper typecasting himself rather than showing who he was - instead, he came out with all the contradictions he had in himself. He wasn't just angry at "the system", but at himself, the rest of the world, his mum and ex-wife - what rapper before him had hung out his dirty linen to dry like that? That took guts. And he wasnt just angry, there were all these conflicting emotions and characters, him kinda role-playing each of them, loving his baby girl while wanting her mother dead - guy who's fighting himself as much as anything, and he doesn't give a f*ck if we all see it.

We had a BIG discussion on Eminem versus Tupac on the Foshizzle my nizzle thread, comparing lyrics and everything - and Eminem's are just a level more complex.

I havent got a clue what the reference to A Tribe Called Quest was about (if thats what it was) - they've got like the very opposite style of Eminem. Also good, no doubt - but totally different. As far as The Last Poets go, they deserve respect, for sure - they blazed the trail. No question. And Gil Scott-Heron is a musical hero. But you cant listen to Eminem and say, he's just repeating what they did. It's a wholly different beast! We're what, thirty years on now! Only thing I can think of he's still got in common with the Last Poets is that he's rapping. So unless you're basically saying all hip-hop is the same and thus all hip-hoppers are automatically just ripping off The Original One, your take is just too facile. (Well, if you're saying that, it's too facile too, obviously.)

Basically think you're making it too easy for yourself here, Snood.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:25 pm
First album=genius
Second album=ok
third album=not bad
new album=horrible **** and he should die for making it
appearances on other's song=best, he drops sickest rhymes and jsut flows better on other's songs for some reason.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:27 pm
Quote:
We had a BIG discussion on Eminem versus Tupac on the Foshizzle my nizzle thread, comparing lyrics and everything - and Eminem's are just a level more complex.

Lyrically- Eminem
Better songs- 2pac
Not annoying-2pac

Eminem gets pretty fuckin annoying sometimes. Like when he tries to be funny. My god his commercial songs dont recycle the same godamn beats and themes.
0 Replies