Eminem

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 09:51 am
I'm very interested in knowing your opinion about Eminem. For my part i'm a big fan and i know all his songs. To the people who can't understand why, here is the beginning of an answer: maybe it's because unlike the pop singers he can speak of something else than "i love you and you don't love me... ".
I find it great to have someone who rap about things that really speak to you... I mean some of his lyrics are just the things i would like to say, express but can't find the right words to do it...
Now tell me what you think. I would like to understand both why you like him or why you don't.
See ya!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 11,365 • Replies: 90
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 10:40 am
We have the CD with the music from 8 Mile, but my husband's the fan, so I'll ask him.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:07 am
I just think he's entertaining. It's like listening to an auctioneer.
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 06:49 pm
I like Eminem. He is interesting to me because of his "I don't care what you think" attitude and how is always making better music.

I understand why some folks get upset by his lyrics, as he pulls no punches. But if you don't like it, don't listen. These are probably the same people that were trying to listen to Ozzy backwards for the self-destructive messages. Smile
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 07:12 pm
I've always held the opinion that the words Rapp and Music are mutually exclusive. I've yet to hear anything to change my opinion.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 04:12 am
He has a way with words. Often his choice of words targets adolescent angst/immaturity.

I think he is very talented but deserves his criticism on the homophobic and sexist image.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 04:16 am
If you listen to his latest soloalbum, you don't find that much sexism/homophobia anymore, it's still very angry music, but he's trying to make good with his momma, who he wanted to kill on an other album!
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 10:13 am
I like Eminem. My 24-year-old daughter introduced me to his his music, when he first became popular. I liked the fact that he was rapping about issues that most people try to sweep under the rug.

I was really impressed with him last night, on the Grammys, when he listed all the musicians who had been his inspiration, and thanked them.

Very Happy
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 09:48 am
I don't like this singer( Cool
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 09:53 am
He caught much flak for lyrics advocating violence, as do many rappers.

I find it amusing that people cannot distinguish between his kind of performance and, say, the actor in a movie who shoots other actors. Does Robert Dinero come under the same criticism?

It's performance art.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 09:57 pm
Art?
0 Replies

Little Devil

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 03:25 pm
Thanks PDiddie for what you said about Eminem. I'm so glad to see that some people think that way... In fact i think that people don't take Eminem for what he is, as he says it himself in his songs, he is an entertainer, besides to all the people who criticize him for his bad influence over the kids, they just need to have a closer look at his albums. It is clearly stated that his music is supposed to be listened by adults, hence the parental advisory sticker!!!
Now i understand also the people who don't like him...don't worry i'm still very interested in all posts from everyone, whatever your point of view.
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 07:08 am
Frankly his lyrics are a huge reflection of his life experience---he's not just making music to make music or money for that matter. Although, doesn't he seem a little angry?
0 Replies

Marshall Mathers

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 09:31 am
If you knew eminems life story, then you understand his music. people don't like him because he likes to push your buttons, if you can't take a joke you shouldn't listen to him. If you say he's homophobic, then he will act homophobic just to make you mad, even though he is not. eminem is one of the best and most honest artists out there at the moment.
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 06:56 pm
Agreed.
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 07:15 pm
I like him 'cause he raps about something besides killing people and drugs and sx. granted he does rap about a little of all of that but all his songs seem to work at a deeper level too. When the rap movement was gaining popularity I think this was more of the avenue people hoped it would take. So that it would work as an art form to express all kinds of emotions especially anger and frustration. And I second the votes on it not being pop!
0 Replies

Little Devil

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 05:12 am
I really agree with you too. Another reason why i like Eminem so much is that he seems to have a lot fun in his songs. If you listen to The Slim Shady LP a lot of songs are real good fun! In short this guy how to talk about every possible topic. By the way has someone seen his movie: 8 Mile? How do you like it? I think he was pretty good and that proves that he could be an actor as well as a rapper. The scenes with the rap battles were terrific!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 08:55 am
I admire Eminem because he dares to go where other rappers would be afraid to lose face. I mean, he is (one of) the toughest of 'em all, and he raps about ... his relationship with his mother. That takes guts.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 09:50 am
He's extremely talented...lyrically, and when he actually raps, he's got great "flow." Of course many people who don't see rap as music, or "art" like other forms of music won't understand that. Some people don't take him seriously as an artist because his choice of words or topics.
0 Replies

Marshall Mathers

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 02:03 pm
I really like his movie 8 mile, it shows that despite how bad your life is, you can still make it big.