World City- My city

Jamezun

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 05:25 am
World City- My city

Dusk and the haze of clouds dancing ethereally in sync with a gentle breeze, I am standing on the terrace of the Peak Tower and glazing over the city of Hong Kong, an international metropolis. Everywhere is dynamically packed with gorgeous buildings. Remnant sunshine is being reflected on the glass of the skyscrapers, gilding Victoria Harbour and millions of faces. Spider-webbed roads and overpasses, filled with all sorts of vehicles, diverge and converge, going up and down, in and out, and synchronizing with the hasty life of the citizens. Radiating a placid explosion of orange and red, the setting sun is yielding to the colorful neon life in this 24-hour city.

Even though the sun has gone, the vitality of Hong Kong continues. The night of Hong Kong is even more glamorous and riveting. The neon lights and spotlights are like mini galaxies, sparkling iridescently. The constellations are twinkling, symbolizing the true peace and the harmonious bonding of folks. Thousands of shadows are hurrying across the crowded streets as mandarin streetlights lighten every corner. I can smell a great scent of prosperity swirling in front of my cheeks, and I smile. This is my home.

The replacement of Union Jack by the 5-Star flag unveiled a brand new era of "one country, two systems". This truly shattered the anxiety of Hong Kong people, pleading with them to stay in their homeland without captivity and to strive unwaveringly for the future of Hong Kong. At the same time, it facilitated the modernization of Hong Kong, enhancing the economic wealth and encouraging people to have confidence in their heritage and to become culturally assertive. The Basic Law also began to grant it vast opportunities to develop international relations and to reach various kinds of agreements with other areas on economics and trade. Hong Kong was also admired by other countries since it remained a member of the WTO and APEC. Hong Kong still maintained the freest economy in the world and developed into a major international and regional financial hub. All these did so much to improve its economic being and helped it boom to an apex, especially when its economy integrated with the Mainland.

Unfortunately, Hong Kong faced an economic slump in the following years. The economic downturn trapped myriads of people in quagmires. Many of us struggled and suffered the pain of unemployment, bankruptcy and family problems. However, there was no sign of decadence of spirit in Hong Kong. The difficulties did not knock us down but motivated us to strive even harder for a brighter future. After the calamity, we learnt to be even more endurable and capable of independent thinking, creativity and problem solving. Moreover, we realized the importance of urbanity and self-demeanor, developing a high level of self-discipline. Last year, lethal SARS attacked Hong Kong. However, it brought us closer together, revealing our benevolence and sympathy between one another. The dreadful tragedy purified our souls and uncovered the righteousness of our conscience. The spirit of Hong Kong radiates, shining upon the world, highlighting our capabilities in facing adversity.

These qualities have sharpened our competitive edge and healed the financial wounds inflicted after 1997, resulting in an economic revival and raising the employment rate. Today, Hong Kong is so different from the past, favoring its development to be a world city. The citizens understand the importance of community and environmental development. You will surely be impressed by the civility of the staff when you walk into a shop. As a result, foreign corporations are delighted to invest in Hong Kong again, so now its economy is flourishing. The positive changes have undeniably seared a crystal clear path of absolute prosperity for the future of Hong Kong.

Besides its economic success, Hong Kong is also a city suffused with entertainments and cultural senses. The government and the public express concern over art and culture being an impetus to foster economic growth, such as the West Kowloon cultural hub. Besides, Hong Kong is also labeled as a shopping paradise because of the great variety and cheapness of goods. At weekends, local people will leave their mundane toil and find relaxation in shopping.

Once I was in a souvenir shop in Connecticut in USA, the cashier staff asked me if I came from Hong Kong. She giggled and told me that she was mesmerized with Jackie Chan and his sexy lips. I grinned back with pride. Jackie Chan and Chow Yun-Fat, now two big Hollywood film stars in the USA, are deeply loved by a lot of people not only locally but also in the USA and other parts of the world.

The Hong Kong nights are exhilarating. When I am walking through Victoria Park, I pass groups of young dexterous dancers, revealing the night culture of teenagers. You will also be amazed if you visit Lan Kwai Fong and Soho with their vast concentration of bars, clubs, cafes and restaurants located in two tiny spot in Central. At midnight, the places are overwhelmed by thongs of people especially expatriates and tourists. Rhythmical beats and rousing melodies bang back and forth inside the clubs and bars blend perfectly with the music. DJs scratch discs and hordes of people dance reflexively in euphoria. The clubbers are on hedonistic spree, drinking, dancing around with vitality and getting on with their pleasure blissfully, lost in the beauty of the music and their dreams.

The revamping Hong Kong has strengthened its status in the world. The overall growth has been hastened by the collaboration between the government and the citizens focusing on the same interests and concerns. Moreover, the indefatigable Hong Kong people are able to confront challenges while forging ahead with prudence to seek a better future. In conclusion, the growth, coupled with economic enhancement and cultural enrichment, the bond of citizenry and the spirit of sturdiness have led Hong Kong to be a competitive and sustainable Asian world city. This is my city, my home.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 729 • Replies: 1
No top replies

siu wi

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 06:01 am
After I read your essay, I find that your English is really well.XP

Although I don't understand your essay well, I still support your point of view.

I totally agree your conclusion, that is the growth, coupled with economic enhancement and cultural enrichment, the bond of citizenry and the spirit of sturdiness have led Hong Kong to be a competitive and sustainable Asian world city.

Forward to see your next essay!

With Best wishes to you......

0 Replies