How can Christians say this?

marsh of mists

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 06:25 pm
Sorry for the long delay. Let's see if I can do my best here...

Eorl wrote:
Speaking of old chestnuts, Edwin's argument (from the 1800's) about the print shop explosion is a common form of the "Argument from Complexity". the watch is another favourite. It proves nothing.

I admit I did not know the Conklin argument was that old! However, I think the Argument from Complexity, as you describe it, although it doesn't prove anything, is evidence that intelligence was likely behind the generation of the Universe.

Quote:
the watch is another favourite...."The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins will give you the full answer but it is a weak argument on several levels, the weakest part being...what clever chap put God together?

The point is this: if you find a watch in the woods, you assume it was make by an intelligent watchmaker. That's all it proposes (at least that's all I'm proposing). Now, where the watchmaker came from, why he made the watch, why it is in the woods, those are seperate questions. As far as I can see they are unanwerable through emperical observation (though we can create hypotheses with pure human reason). However, the unanswerability of such questions does not contravene the theory that the watch had a watchmaker.

Quote:
DNA is really quite simple. Just 4 amino acids GATC in various combinations. The more simple the life-form, the less DNA required to encode the data.

Well, I'm no geneticist and I really can't argue with you on this one, except to say it contradicts everything I've ever heard about how complex life--even the simplest life--is. I don't think even secular biologists would deny that. DNA itself--maybe not so much. But DNA doesn't just spring out of thin air. I refer you to my post to Etruscia, regrading the Catch-22 regarding protein and nucleic acid.

Quote:
this simple equation z(n+1) = z(n)*z(n) + z produces infinity in a finite space. And it certainly looks extremely complex....Chaos scientists found that not only does the universe produce complexity from simplicity, but that it does it all the time!

Well, once you throw math at me, I'm down for the count! I can't do long division without a calculator. Nor do I know what "chaos science" is. I will concede that complexity can naturally grow from simplicity. Like I said, I don't deny evolution as a process from simple life forms to complex ones. As for this "infinity in a finity space", I don't know what that's all about. You can do all sorts of strange things in higher math (look a pi or "imaginary numbers"). I'm not sure how well they tend to apply to the real world. Do imaginary numbers--like the square root of negative 1--apply to the real world? On the other hand I'm an ignoramus when it comes to math. However, I concede the principle that complexity can arise from simplicity.

Beautiful picture, by the way.

Quote:
If God did create it, why make it look as if maybe he had no involvement at all? To test us?

Well, maybe. It sounds like a cop-out, but we don't know He didn't. But I don't believe He did make it look like He didn't create the world. First of all, if one doesn't use advanced science: if one just looks around at things like nature, at people and their emotions and intelligence and one's own "sentience", it seems almost certain that there is something purposeful behind it all. Even using advanced science and seeing how the processes of the Universe run according to these incredibly complex laws, doesn't refute, or even weaken, that assumption. For some, the complexity and enormity of the Universe even strengthens their belief in the divine.

Quote:
It can, however, be said that time did not exist before the Big Bang, and that it is therefore impossible to speak of anything happening before the Big Bang. Therefore, it is not entirely correct to say that something ever came from nothing, because there was no time when there was nothing.

I've heard this idea before--that there was no time before the Big Bang. Well, we don't know that. The Big Bang theory comes out of the fact that space is expanding. Therefore, it is logical (although not provable) to assume it was, at one point, a singularity that, for some unknown reason, began expanding. But how does this theory say anything about time, one way or the other? I've sometimes thought, philosophically, that there would have to be time before the Big Bang. Otherwise, how could the Big Bang have begun? Presumably, if there was ever a "time" when there was no Time, then Time had to be created someway. And presumably, that creation would take an increment of Time! Time seems so necessary to everything that occurs that I myself would not even wager to claim the God stands outside of Time. However, I might venture to claim that God and Time are one. Or that Time is part of His nature. Anyway...

Quote:
Quantummechanics works with events in nature that are, or at least seem to be, completely random. Particle/anti-particle pairs can come into existence and annihilate again without any apparent cause. Many quantum-processes seem to happen without cause. Saying that everything must have a cause is a very bold thing to do, and would require some major scientific theories. Until and unless these theories are presented, I call the first axiom a falsehood.

Well, it "seems" that they happen completely randomly. But isn't it common sense that everything arises from a cause--within Time anyway. I know that also sounds like a cop-out, but then again, look at Newtonian physics. As a matter of fact, look at all modern science. Doesn't scientific method base itself on the ability to use empirical observation to discover how the world works. If the world, at least in part, operates randomly, doesn't this cast doubt on the validity of science as a whole? If effects happen without any cause--just totally randomly--why bother even asking "how"?

Quote:
Hume showed that humans cannot perceive 'cause' and 'effect', but construct these notions from past experiences. It is impossible to prove that A was the cause of B. We can only see that B happened after A, anything else is just something we think up. This casts doubt upon the notion of 'cause'.

Well, Hume was an nominalist. He believed that all beliefs should (and were) based purely on empirical and observational techniques. But if you talk to a realist, like Leibniz or Spinoza they would tell you that nothing can be known, for sure, through empiricism; only human reason can tell you anything solid. In my opinion, Reason, not just observation, tells us that every effect has a cause to generate it. Obviously, now we're back into epistomology. I've always thought, philosophically, that beside "I think therefore I am", we can at least be virtually certain of certain purely logical concepts. Such as "a = a" and so on. Also, I think we can include the logical notion that everything has to have a cause. Of course, we could say that the cause of these quantum particles is simply empty space at rest--it somehow causes them. But this again begs the question: "how"? To my statement "events has to have a cause" you might again reply "What caused God?". Once again, all I can say is I don't know--but it seems more logical that He exists than that He doesn't

I hope those were decent arguments. I have difficulity arguing hard science. With questions like this, I'm much more comfortable arguing philosophy. But, like I said, I accept that there is not--and can be--no proof. I also accept mainstream scientific theories such as the Big Bang, natural selection, etc. The question lies in whether it more likely that such events and natural laws arose through intelligent purpose or through chance. The order and complexity of the Universe as a whole, coupled with the vast number of things that still seem inexplicable, such as our sentience, such as Time, Infinity, human emotions and reason, and even certain evidence of supernatural occurances (I don't want you to think I'm some superstitious tinfoil-hat-wearer on that one--obviously one should look at such claims critically and skeptically with that sort of thing--but nonetheless there is a body of documented evidence of occurances with know apparent scientific explanation--draw from that what you will) convince me that it is MORE LIKELY that their is intelligent design behind the workings of the Universe.

Phew! Thanks for the lively debate.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 07:50 am
Thanks Marsh, will get back to you soon as I can. Don't worry I still have time to unsave your soul ! (insert evil laugh here)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:27 am
Hey Marsh ! My turn for they long delay, sorry bout that...anyway, where were we....

Quote:
I admit I did not know the Conklin argument was that old! However, I think the Argument from Complexity, as you describe it, although it doesn't prove anything, is evidence that intelligence was likely behind the generation of the Universe.

The Arguement for Complexity is basically ...."I don't see how such complexity can come about without a designer" which is all well and good except that I CAN see it. Your lack of understanding doesn't demonstrate anything except a lack of understanding. But actually I've done you a diservice here since I think you were actually using the "Argument from Design" and that brings us to.....

Quote:
The point is this: if you find a watch in the woods, you assume it was make by an intelligent watchmaker.

You'll have to forgive me for once again invoking my logical friend Victor here to cover the ground properly.....

The Argument from Design, or Paley's Teleological Argument

1. Everything we've seen that looks designed has a designer. (Axiom)
2. The Universe looks like it has been designed. (Axiom)
3. Therefore the Universe must have a designer. (From 2 & 3)
4. This designer is God.

A better known version of this argument uses a watch as an allegory for the universe. It goes like this: Suppose that you were walking along a beach somewhere, and suddenly you saw a pocketwatch lying on the ground. Opening the watch you would see the intricate detail that makes it all work. You would immediately assume that something like this had been designed, that it could not have come about by mere chance.
If you look at the human eye you see even more detail and complexity, and you must likewise assume a designer for the human eye. The natural conclusion would of course be that the entire universe has a designer, being God.

Now does this line of reasoning work, or is it flawed? Let's look at Axiom 1, which states that everything we've seen that looks designed has a creator. You should, of course, think about watches, computers, televisions, etc. However, if you really think about the axiom, you see that it is the prelude to a monstrous circular reasoning: saying that everything we've seen that looks designed has a designer assumes that the Universe and the solar system and many more things in nature, which look designed, have a designer. But how can we accept this statement as an axiom, since it is exactly what one wants to prove? Thus the first axiom should be 'Many things we've seen that look designed have a designer.' But changing the axiom in this way invalidates the third step of the reasoning, thus destroying Paley's argument.

But is there not a very strong link between the Universe and a watch? Is this not a powerful allegory? No, and for several reasons. First, as Hume said, it is almost preposterous to compare the Universe to a watch. We know very little about the universe, and almost everything about a pocketwatch. He argued that for a comparison to make any sense it should be made between two objects we have equal understanding about. The dissimilarity between the Universe and even the most complex of things we know are designed is so huge that the worth of the argument is almost zero.

Secondly, it can be easily seen that everything we know is designed was designed by living beings from earth. Thus, the first axiom might well be changed to 'All things made by living beings from earth that look designed have a designer.' This shows once again that the argument cannot be used on anything like the Universe, or for that matter, the eye. We could even change the axiom to 'All things that we know are designed have been designed by beings from earth'. This leads to the preposterous conclusion that the Universe has been designed by someone from earth! But this line of reasoning is no less valid than Paley's.

Thirdly, watches show marks of being made (marks from milling, stamping, etc.). The Universe does not show those marks. This is another huge difference between the Universe and a watch.

Fourthly, we can visit any number of watchmakers we want. We can see watches being made. We can read how watches are made. We can ask the local watchmaker to make a specially designed watch for us. If I showed you an egg and told you that I knew a man who made custom eggs, you would rightly doubt my word, for you've never seen an eggmaker. Thus the conclusion that a certain object was designed and made is based on the knowledge that such an object can be made, more than on the complexity of the object itself.

There are still more arguments against the Argument from Design. For God is surely more detailed, sophisticated and purposeful than anything in the universe? Then God must have been designed and created, by a being I will call GodGod. And GodGod must have been designed by GodGodGod, ad infinitum. If on the other hand we say that God does not need a designer, than surely we can say that the Universe, which is less complex, needs no designer. And again the Argument falls.

And in fact everything science finds seems to indicate that there is no design to the universe. Evolution shows us that life does not need to have a designer. Astrophysic models tell us how stars, galaxies etc can be formed from more or less homogenous clouds of matter. The Big Bang theory tells us how these clouds could have come into existence without any design at all. Everything we find seems to shout at us 'There is no designer! It's all just the laws of nature!' We do not need God to explain our Universe.

Until and unless all these problems are adressed, the Argument from Design is worthless. It is not proof of the existence of God.

Victor Gijsbers

Quote:
Well, I'm no geneticist and I really can't argue with you on this one, except to say it contradicts everything I've ever heard about how complex life--even the simplest life--is. I don't think even secular biologists would deny that. DNA itself--maybe not so much. But DNA doesn't just spring out of thin air. I refer you to my post to Etruscia, regrading the Catch-22 regarding protein and nucleic acid.

To simplify this, it is possible, and even likely in the minds of many (if not most) scientists that life can and did come about on it's own on this planet. DNA is not some alien thing that bears no resemblence to the rest of organic chemistry. No experiment has yet created life, but it may yet be done. It is unlikely to be easy, you might need a test tube that is roughly earth sized...or not?? Who knows. The point is rather that it is so entirely likely that it is accepted as no.1 theory.

Quote:
Well, once you throw math at me, I'm down for the count! I can't do long division without a calculator. Nor do I know what "chaos science" is.

Sorry, not a math nut myself. But "chaos science" is really interesting stuff. You must have heard of the much oversimplified "Butterfly Effect" that a butterfly in New York can cause a hurricane in Africa. This is the most famous discovery of chaos science. The mandlebrot set is another (the picture I posted). I'll also post the link so you can view the mandlebrot set properly if you want to.

http://www.math.utah.edu/~alfeld/math/mandelbrot/mandelbrot.html

I promise chaos science has nothing to do with atheism, it was just that the mandlebrot set demonstrates extraordinary complexity from a very simple rule. (just like DNA does)

Also, there is a GREAT book called "Chaos" by James Gleick that explains it all in laymans terms (more or less). It makes you see EVERYTHING differently from the shapes of clouds to the dripping of taps. Trust me, it's WAY cool, no matter what your religious stance.

Quote:

Even using advanced science and seeing how the processes of the Universe run according to these incredibly complex laws, doesn't refute, or even weaken, that assumption. For some, the complexity and enormity of the Universe even strengthens their belief in the divine.

Yes I have have heard this. It is a variation of the arguement from complexity once more.

Quote:
I've heard this idea before--that there was no time before the Big Bang. Well, we don't know that. The Big Bang theory comes out of the fact that space is expanding. Therefore, it is logical (although not provable) to assume it was, at one point, a singularity that, for some unknown reason, began expanding. But how does this theory say anything about time, one way or the other? I've sometimes thought, philosophically, that there would have to be time before the Big Bang. Otherwise, how could the Big Bang have begun? Presumably, if there was ever a "time" when there was no Time, then Time had to be created someway. And presumably, that creation would take an increment of Time! Time seems so necessary to everything that occurs that I myself would not even wager to claim the God stands outside of Time. However, I might venture to claim that God and Time are one. Or that Time is part of His nature. Anyway...

Hmmm, don't start me on "time"...I once held time to be structurally sound as you now do....but it turns out to be very flexible. Did you know that if you set two clocks the same, put one in a plane and whizz around the earth, they have different times? The mere act of motion is enough to distort time so much that if I was wearing that watch, I would now be younger than my twin who stayed home!! Bizarre but true. The other thing that messes up time is gravity. They talk about gravity bending light but what actually bends is time. So with the entire universe infinately small, time was not likely to escape. It's just that is hard to imagine "a time without time" because common daily life has no experience with it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quantummechanics works with events in nature that are, or at least seem to be, completely random. Particle/anti-particle pairs can come into existence and annihilate again without any apparent cause. Many quantum-processes seem to happen without cause. Saying that everything must have a cause is a very bold thing to do, and would require some major scientific theories. Until and unless these theories are presented, I call the first axiom a falsehood.

Well, it "seems" that they happen completely randomly. But isn't it common sense that everything arises from a cause--within Time anyway. I know that also sounds like a cop-out, but then again, look at Newtonian physics. As a matter of fact, look at all modern science. Doesn't scientific method base itself on the ability to use empirical observation to discover how the world works. If the world, at least in part, operates randomly, doesn't this cast doubt on the validity of science as a whole? If effects happen without any cause--just totally randomly--why bother even asking "how"?

I agree with aspects of your arguement here, and I'm a big fan of common sense. Two problems: 1) common sense is often wrong when it comes to the physics of the universe and b) A giant dude in the sky just making everything up as he goes along is not common sense either.

Quote:
Hume showed that humans cannot perceive 'cause' and 'effect', but construct these notions from past experiences. It is impossible to prove that A was the cause of B. We can only see that B happened after A, anything else is just something we think up. This casts doubt upon the notion of 'cause'.

Well, Hume was an nominalist. He believed that all beliefs should (and were) based purely on empirical and observational techniques. But if you talk to a realist, like Leibniz or Spinoza they would tell you that nothing can be known, for sure, through empiricism; only human reason can tell you anything solid. In my opinion, Reason, not just observation, tells us that every effect has a cause to generate it. Obviously, now we're back into epistomology. I've always thought, philosophically, that beside "I think therefore I am", we can at least be virtually certain of certain purely logical concepts. Such as "a = a" and so on. Also, I think we can include the logical notion that everything has to have a cause. Of course, we could say that the cause of these quantum particles is simply empty space at rest--it somehow causes them. But this again begs the question: "how"? To my statement "events has to have a cause" you might again reply "What caused God?". Once again, all I can say is I don't know--but it seems more logical that He exists than that He doesn't

I don't agree with that last bit, but I must admit I do like the notion that everything has a cause (that doesn't make it true of course) but the First Cause is an entirely different matter. And we've already covered the problem of what caused whatever it was that caused the first cause in the first place Shocked

Quote:
I hope those were decent arguments. I have difficulity arguing hard science. With questions like this, I'm much more comfortable arguing philosophy. But, like I said, I accept that there is not--and can be--no proof. I also accept mainstream scientific theories such as the Big Bang, natural selection, etc. The question lies in whether it more likely that such events and natural laws arose through intelligent purpose or through chance. The order and complexity of the Universe as a whole, coupled with the vast number of things that still seem inexplicable, such as our sentience, such as Time, Infinity, human emotions and reason, and even certain evidence of supernatural occurances (I don't want you to think I'm some superstitious tinfoil-hat-wearer on that one--obviously one should look at such claims critically and skeptically with that sort of thing--but nonetheless there is a body of documented evidence of occurances with know apparent scientific explanation--draw from that what you will) convince me that it is MORE LIKELY that their is intelligent design behind the workings of the Universe.

Very decent arguments indeed, and I'm happy with your conclusion, especially since you seem to allow for the (in your view) LESS LIKELY option of no intelligent design. Wink

A lively debate indeed, a pleasure much enjoyed Smile <insert deep bow>
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:56 am
duce wrote:
Which came 1st the Chicken or the Egg?

Chicken
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 03:03 am
theantibuddha wrote:

Non-christian "Really? That's not proven and we don't know much about the pre big bang universe, but accepting for a moment that that your premise is correct and the universe did in fact begin that doesn't require a God. The laws of physics could have created it."

Translation:

"The Laws of Physics is my god."

?
0 Replies

Biliskner

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 03:48 am
i don't wanna interrupt a debate between 2 ppl, so here are just some snippets of my thoughts (and they are just that).

Eorl wrote:

Thirdly, watches show marks of being made (marks from milling, stamping, etc.). The Universe does not show those marks. This is another huge difference between the Universe and a watch.

The universe does show those marks.

The fact the Earth is the only planet in the solar system capable of sustaining human life (granted we haven't seen "other" solar systems out but if we're going to base arguments on things "out there", then any argument is a good argument - which in itself is not a good argument).

If the strong nuclear force varied within a 0.000000000000086%, the whole universe would collapse into nothingness (i don't remember the exact figure, take or give 3-4 zeros after the .)

The atmosphere/ozone/human "relationship" (for lack of a better word).
If we're so tolerant as human beings, why the hell do i have to slip on a hat, slop on some sunscreen, and slap on a shirt whilst covering my face/nose/neck decked out like i'm going to rob a bank during the summer here in australia? because if i don't i'll melt after 1/2 hr in the australian summer sun. *note for all you tourists wanting to visit down under.
Creationist argument: The Earth was made for man. Man destroys ozone. Man suffers consequences.
Evolutionist argument: We all evolved together (Earth/Man etc.)... But i see ALL my friends slipping, slopping and slapping.... there is no "natural selection" of cancer. You don't do it (use protection(!)), you get cancer. (why do we operate on cancer? surely this newly formed lump will be good for natural selection to select from? - mutations help me advance to my next stage of evolution, yes?...)

There's just a few off the top of my head, there are plenty others... maybe another time.

A Tsunami is what the Earth/nature is capable of. Evolutionists tell me that through many many tsunami's and lightning strikes coupled with volcanic eruption, + 100 Billion Years (take or give a few million) = I am here/You are here/We are all here.

?
I don't want to be distasteful, but am i going to find newly evolved species in the tsunami wreck? (maybe not 1 whole new species, but 0.01? - fish with 3 eyes and 3 fins with 1 leg?)

Eorl wrote:

Fourthly, we can visit any number of watchmakers we want. We can see watches being made. We can read how watches are made. We can ask the local watchmaker to make a specially designed watch for us. If I showed you an egg and told you that I knew a man who made custom eggs, you would rightly doubt my word, for you've never seen an eggmaker. Thus the conclusion that a certain object was designed and made is based on the knowledge that such an object can be made, more than on the complexity of the object itself.

Just 'cos you can't visit something to see it happen does it necessarily follow that it isn't true?

I didn't see your brain develop. Therefore you have no brain.

ummmm.....

Astrophysicists don't see suns develop, yet our theories on suns are commonplace.

Physicists don't see nuclear reactions occur, yet fission and fusion are the cornerstone of particle physics (among other theories).

etc.

Eorl wrote:

There are still more arguments against the Argument from Design. For God is surely more detailed, sophisticated and purposeful than anything in the universe? Then God must have been designed and created, by a being I will call GodGod. And GodGod must have been designed by GodGodGod, ad infinitum. If on the other hand we say that God does not need a designer, than surely we can say that the Universe, which is less complex, needs no designer. And again the Argument falls.

The "logic" of the human mind (emphasize "logic") never ceases to amuse me (actually sometimes it goes to no end... which is kind of contradictory)
let me explain why. if what you say is true, that God requires a GodGod and that GodGod requires a GodGodGod towards infinity, then you've just modified/redefined the very word "God". The very word "God" does not mean "created/designed".

Eorl wrote:

And in fact everything science finds seems to indicate that there is no design to the universe. Evolution shows us that life does not need to have a designer. Astrophysic models tell us how stars, galaxies etc can be formed from more or less homogenous clouds of matter. The Big Bang theory tells us how these clouds could have come into existence without any design at all. Everything we find seems to shout at us 'There is no designer! It's all just the laws of nature!' We do not need God to explain our Universe.

Not true. Science shows us the HOW. Science cannot tell us WHY.
Why does gravity pull from the sun onto the Earth and make the Earth rotate around it?

Secular answer: 'Cos
"Religious answer": God made it.

Take your pick.

Eorl wrote:

Until and unless all these problems are adressed, the Argument from Design is worthless. It is not proof of the existence of God.

You are absolutely right. Before Christ, no one can prove the existence of God. After Christ, no one can (still?) prove the existence of God. If God is real, then He will have chosen to reveal himself in one way or another. It is up to you to find out how He has chosen to reveal himself. I make it easier for you, God has chosen to reveal himself in Christ Jesus, not physics or human reason. But we all have free will. You can take it or leave it. If you do take it I recommend reading at least 10 books before taking it, then you can't be accused of following something without rhyme or reason, at least that's what i've done, and it's worked. No rhyme here, just all reason :wink:
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 04:15 am
Biliskner wrote:
duce wrote:
Which came 1st the Chicken or the Egg?
Chicken

The egg, no one specified chicken egg, thus dinosaur eggs predate chickens by millions of years.
0 Replies