How can Christians say this?

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 03:15 am
First off, let me say that I do not believe in God. And whenever I get into a debate with a hardcore Christian and they ask "who besides god could create the universe" I say "who the hell created God."

Always, everytime, I get the ridiculous and impossible answer: "God has always been."

Now come on, let's be rational here. God can't just suddenly be created. If that's the case we might as well just say the universe always was (which is probably a better point.) It's true that no one understands any of this, and no one ever will, but I just don't see how any rational person can believe that. Any comments? Thanks for reading.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,313 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 05:43 am
bouncychicken92- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Hey, I have been saying essentially the same thing.........for decades. You speak of a "hardcore Christian". In most cases, people who are "hardcore anything", accept their groups' ideals, lock, stock, and barrel. Reason and logic has absolutely nothing to do with their views.

It is so much easier for a person to accept an entire body of thought "wholesale". It exempts them from the necessity of thinking through all those facets that make up the entire concept, and grappling with the contradictions and inconsistencies.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 08:51 am
Re: How can Christians say this?
bouncychicken92 wrote:
First off, let me say that I do not believe in God. And whenever I get into a debate with a hardcore Christian and they ask "who besides god could create the universe" I say "who the hell created God."

Always, everytime, I get the ridiculous and impossible answer: "God has always been."

Now come on, let's be rational here. God can't just suddenly be created. If that's the case we might as well just say the universe always was (which is probably a better point.) It's true that no one understands any of this, and no one ever will, but I just don't see how any rational person can believe that. Any comments? Thanks for reading.

Just because humans cannot comprehend the concept of God being eternal and uncreate, it doesn't mean it's just the same to say that the universe is uncreate. The universe is after all finite, consisting of time and space. Everything that is finite has a beginning. God on the other hand, who is infinite, and therefore beyond the comprehension of a finite being, has none of these limitations.

I'd like to rephrase to your question to: "Is life, the universe and everything a result of an intelligence (God) or random chaos?"
0 Replies

bouncychicken92

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:22 pm
Yeah Phoenix you're right. And Derevon you make a good point too. I have nothing more to say! Thanks
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:35 pm
Why does anyone care what others believe as long as it isn't harming anyone else?
0 Replies

bouncychicken92

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:43 pm
Well, it could be harming them from someone's point of view. Let's say someone thinks that everyone who goes to church or prays is wasting valuable time to do other things with their life. I personally don't care about that, but I'm sure others do. Someone might want to change someone because they feel they'd be helping them.

Does that make sense?
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:58 pm
bouncychicken92 wrote:
Let's say someone thinks that everyone who goes to church or prays is wasting valuable time to do other things with their life. Someone might want to change someone because they feel they'd be helping them.

If someone told me I was wasting valuable time because I went to church......I would just simply say "Mind your own time and stop worrying about mine." :wink:

I manage to work full time, take care of my house, my animals, plus a million other things. All by myself, I might add. (NO man around to help) Going to church, or praying, has never infringed upon the things I need to get done. Smile

If anything, for me, it can be the catylist that starts my week out on the right foot.......and gives me energy to get everything else done. :wink:
0 Replies

bouncychicken92

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:59 pm
interesting
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 12:59 pm
Almost forgot....Welcome to the forum, bouncychicken92! Smile
0 Replies

bouncychicken92

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 01:01 pm
thanks brooke :wink:
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 01:02 pm
bouncychicken92 wrote:
thanks brooke :wink:

You are most welcome. :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 01:03 pm
bouncychicken92 wrote:

Let's say someone thinks that everyone who goes to church or prays is wasting valuable time to do other things with their life.

IMO, as long as someone is not infringing on MY rights, it is none of my damn business whether they go to church or not. And vice versa.
0 Replies

bouncychicken92

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 01:07 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
bouncychicken92 wrote:

Let's say someone thinks that everyone who goes to church or prays is wasting valuable time to do other things with their life.

IMO, as long as someone is not infringing on MY rights, it is none of my damn business whether they go to church or not. And vice versa.
Yes Phoenix, and that's what I said in one of my previous few posts, I don't give a damn. I'm just trying to make an example.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 01:16 pm
Brooke pretty much took the words right out of my mouth, so I won't repeat what she said and I also want to welcome you to A2K :-D
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 02:41 pm
Quote:

That's what people tell me about playing video games... hmmm, I wonder if I could get that listed as a religion.
0 Replies

bouncychicken92

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 04:37 pm
haha
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 08:42 am
theantibuddha wrote:
Quote:

That's what people tell me about playing video games... hmmm, I wonder if I could get that listed as a religion.

I keep hearing that too.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:42 am
Einherjar wrote:
I keep hearing that too.

Join the sect of the almighty electron... if it's a religion people have to respect it Wink
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 09:55 am
Re: How can Christians say this?
bouncychicken92 wrote:
First off, let me say that I do not believe in God...

If Friedrich Nietzsche were alive today he'd believe in God and in all likelihood be a Christian, simply based on evidence. The theory of evolution has been massively disproven over the last century and is being maintained mainly as a sort of an ideological psychic security blanket by people who ought to know better.

The fruit fly experiments done in the early 1900s amounted to a laboratory test for evolution, and the doctrine failed the test, pure and simple:

http://www.pathlights.com/ce_encyclopedia/10mut10.htm

The great truths about how old the universe is or how old God is are not things we need to know in this life and should not affect whether or not we believe in God. Think about it; what difference would knowing the age of the universe make in your life over the next ten years?
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 30 Jan, 2005 10:22 am
Moreso than even life or death, since the dawn of time the most revered force in the world is that of lightning. It has been viewed as a deity in its own right or the instrument of divine justice. In pantheons those gods that command this force are seen as the king of all gods and held supreme above all others. Surely it is no coincidence that now, even as we develop beyond these "superstitions" that the force of electricity is the key to all the power of modern life and that the electron is even more integral to our lives than the lightning of olden times.

The sect of the almighty electron holds to the self-evident truth that the same electricity which drives our body as a motive force, is the force of the divine within the realm of the physical. Our one sacred tradition the communion between physical and divine by devoting our lives to electronic devices in work and play.

There we go... religion created.
0 Replies