Technical Help aout Library Computers

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 03:34 pm
I often use the Internet at my local library, and the way the computers are set up, you access the internet via library card, by means of card reader. I tried accessing ac ertain cite from my library. WHat happened was when I put the card in, I logged in to the site, but I forget to log out of the site before I took the card out of the reader. I tried going back to the site on the library computer, but access to the site is blocked, because I didn't sign off beforehand. I can access this site from other computers. How can I fix this so I can access the site form a library computer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,240 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Superwally

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 08:23 am
The short reply is that I haven't got a clue !!!.

If I had that problem though, there are a few possibilities I might start with.

If I had this problem on a computer at home or round a friends, then I would be looking to delete Internet History, Temporary Internet Files and Cookies from the computer, then re-booting and trying the site again.

If that doesn't work, I would be looking to use a program such as ZoneAlarm, (A Firewall Program), or some other software design to help you Surf the Web with some level of anonimity.

If that didn't work, I would probably Post a Topic on this Forum and hope some kind person had the answers I was looking for.

Of course I'm no expert with these things, but it sounds to me like the Site you're having problems with has stored some information on the Computer you've been having problems with, which means that when you log on to that Site from that Computer, the Site recognizes what has gone on before, (which I believe is a major reason for Cookies).

You probably won't have Administrators Access to all the relevant files etc on your Library Computer, but it might be worth asking at the Library if there is anyone there who can help you.

Post a response if any of this gobble-de-gook has been any help at all, so that I know what to do if I have a similar problem in the future.

Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!...................
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 01:44 pm
The problem is that somehow, my library card bookmarked that information from where I left off, so that when I try to access that particular site, it's blocked. Whether or not the screen name and/or e-mail address you entered in in is blocked, you should still be access that website and log into it regardless.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 01:47 pm
Did you try asking one of the library staff for help?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 03:19 pm
Yes, she gave me some advice as to what to do, it didn't work.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 04:32 pm
If something is bookmarked, is there a way to get rid of it?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 06:28 pm
Ask again is my advice... ask a different staff member.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 2 Feb, 2005 08:13 pm
I don't think access is blocked because you failed to sign out, it sounds like access is blocked period.

Many libraries will block a wide range of sites to avoid being used as an anonymous place to communicate and many sites will block IPs used by libraries as well.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 02:33 pm
No, I have no problem accessing the site from another computer outside library computers and signing in. As I said, access from a library computer is blocked, because somehow the either the card or the computer system bookmarked the information I entered before Isigned out, and that was my fault for not signing out of the site before signing out of the system.
0 Replies

Superwally

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 03:41 pm
Site blocked from Library Computer
Exclamation Idea Just another couple of Ideas...
____ Arrow _1). Contact someone at the Site you can't access from the Library computer, and ask them if they can help you...
____ Arrow _2). Apply for a new Library Card...

:wink: If I think of anything else, I'll post another reply...... :wink:
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 05:33 pm
I would pursue getting a new card as a last resort. I can wait for more input.
0 Replies