Im cutting my hair and donating it.. how do I do this?

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:03 am
My hair is about 5 feet long. I want to cut it because it is very hard to maintain. It is spiral curly and I have TONS of it. The hair itself is very thin and very fine , so it breaks easily.
I have found the LocksofLove web site, but what I can not find is thier -regulations-.
Basically, what I need to know is how much or how long the hair has to be for them to be able to work with it.
I am going to cut probally 2 feet off. Im POSITIVE this is enough... But it may not be? If it isnt I am willing to cut more, I just can not find any information about this.
I have a hairdresser who is willing to help me make this donation. The company she works for doesnt do collections for the LOL foundation. But she will collect it they way you are supposed to so I can find a place to donate it.
Anyone know where I can find out if I am going to have enough to give?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,819 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:11 am
This seems to be what you need!

http://www.locksoflove.org/donate_hair.php

Downloadable hair donation form:

http://www.locksoflove.org/pdf/HairDonationForm.pdf

Good for you, cool thing to do.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:33 am
Wow.. they only need 10 inches.
Hmm.. maybe I can have my stylist make 2 pony tails. I have enough. Then I could donate twice as much!

Thanks soz!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:35 am
Twice as much, excellent.

I looked around on the site, saw the before and after pictures of the kids who got the wigs -- wow! Very cool.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:38 am
I know. That foundation does wonderful things for kids.
I know that they have requested more and more curly/african american hair over the past 2 years. My hair is curly enough to maybe pass for african american hair. And with as much as I have, i can definatly make 2 pony tails out of what I am going to have cut.
Maybe I will do a before and after hair cut picture of my hair.
I truly do have BUNCHES of it
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:44 am
I have the impression that they need at least 10 inches but might be really happy with more -- the first "after" pic is of a lovely blonde with looooong hair.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:44 am
http://www.locksoflove.org/images/recipients/2.jpg

That's more than 10 inches long!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:46 am
I just had cut of my long hair too (about 20 inches)
and my hairdresser works with an organisation that
make wigs for cancer patients here in town. She
donates there all the time.

So, for once I felt good about having shorter hair now Wink
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:54 am
i think 10 inches makes a regular sized wig. more then that probally makes a nice long wig
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:56 am
or, they want 10 inches so that in making a regular sized wig, they have room for ' mistakes' ?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 09:59 am
Yeah, I'm sure that if you have a 10-inch strand and make it into a wig, the resulting wig doesn't look like 10-inch-long hair -- they have to anchor it somehow, style it, etc.

Maybe send 'em a 24-inch hank, or whatever, and let them decide whether to make two regular ones or one long one.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:00 am
i agree calamity.
i dont like the idea of having short hair.
When i was kid my mother kept my hair boy-ishly short. And I hated it
So I have grown my hair long since I was about 16. I have kept it trimmed and styled but never really removed any length from it. Until now that is.
And I cant see NOT donating it because I have sooo much it just makes no sence to me for it to go to waste.
I dont think , if there were any way not to dontate it, that I would have the nerve to cut it.
Donating it makes me feel obligated . hehe.
And makes me feel better about the entire thing.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:06 am
This is the nicest thread I've read all day. You are a good person, shewolfnm, it's good to be on the same planet with you.

Joe( lending new meaning to cutting remarks everywhere) Nation
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:02 am
:-)
thank you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:38 am
I did this a couple years ago. It was amazing how good it felt and it was the easiest thing in the world to do. All you have to do is not cut your hair for a couple years and it makes such a difference in someone else's life. My hair is back down below my shoulders now. I'm working on another one.
0 Replies