EMail: Don't be an idiot. Use 2-factor authentication.

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 07:45 am
Think for a second what a hacker could do with your email account. You probably get bank notices. From your email I can at least figure out where you work, what bank you use and what credit cards you have.

But more importantly. Once I get your bank name... I can probably sign on as you and then use the "forgot password" link. This link will then send an email to your account with a link to change your password. If I can get into your email account, I am pretty much into any linked account (including able2know). There are lots of ways to get your password, from looking over your shoulder, to stealing packets when you connect to an open Wi-Fi, to using a keyboard logger, to finding a security hole in a website.

Most email providers now offer 2 factor authentication that is easy to use. Any time you (or a hacker) tries to log into your email from a new computer or device, it is impossible to log in without responding to a message on your cell phone (or other mobile device). This means that they can't get into your email even if they know your password... it makes it much more difficult to hack into your life. The news stories are now saying that ridiculously few people do this.

Keeping your email secure, the email you use for work and banking and so much more, is really important. Your email is the gateway to hacking the rest of your life.

If you don't use 2-factor authentication, you are making yourself vulnerable. Google it, or check your email provider. It is easier than you might imagine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 5,504 • Replies: 5
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 10:11 am
@maxdancona,
Here is an article referencing the scary statistics about how few people are using this security measure - https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/23/16922500/gmail-users-two-factor-authentication-google

Quote:
A Google engineer revealed that more than 90 percent of active Gmail accounts don’t use two-factor authentication (2FA), reports The Register. Given the low uptake, The Register asked Google software engineer Grzegorz Milka why 2FA isn’t mandatory for all Gmail accounts. Milka chalks it up to usability, adding that, “It’s about how many people would we drive out if we force them to use additional security.” The statistic was shared during a presentation at Usenix’s Enigma 2018 security conference in California.

Two-factor authentication is a security tool that requires a user’s password as well as an additional form of authorization. It adds another layer of security if your password has been stolen, or you use the same password for multiple websites. Google offers 2FA through a code that’s sent to your phone via text, voice call, mobile app, or via a Security Key that’s inserted into your computer’s USB port.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 03:28 pm
Well that was certainty not comforting.

It is however to be reminded. As to my bank, there are no e-mails involved, ever. They have my phone number and address if they need to contact me.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 04:27 pm
@Sturgis,
If you do online banking, and the online bank has a "forgot password" feature when you logon, then your email is likely enough for someone to enter your online banking account.

If you don't use online banking, then this is not an issue.
0 Replies

SteamPass

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 02:40 am
@maxdancona,
Can't agree with you more! By using Two-Factor Authentication we can protect the private data and lower the chances of identity theft on the Internet, as well as phishing email attacks, and brute force hacking tactics, because the hackers lack the personal information required and can't just rely on working out a password and login.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 10:11 am
@SteamPass,
I tried. People aren't listening to the experts on this.

It is a shame. Since mobile devices are so common, using 2 factor authentication and making your accounts that much more secure, is not that difficult.
0 Replies