Being stalked on Facebook- Facebook Account Switcher

jres

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 07:35 pm
I am freaked out..... and I mean freaked out.
I have been chatting with a strange person I met on Facebook who acts extremely paranoid- their Profile had no photo. I have never actually met or seen their face, or heard their voice, and they had hidden their Friend list. Everyone knows the person is paranoid, and I've never met a single relative, friend of his, nothing.
They have since unfriended me and locked their profile completely so I can't see anything but the picture of the back of a person's head, and we haven't spoken to each other at all since February.

A few days ago I chanced to stray into Security---> Logins (finally) and discovered an active Session on my account- still open from another city.
Their city.
FROM FEBRUARY.
It has been sitting open for five months.

Five months.
Even though the person hasn't said a word for five months, and doesn't reply.

I checked my Facebook conversations with this Person and saw the Session opened the very first night I talked to them.
Its obvious. They had hacked into my FB account.

And were still logged in.

What's more. I messaged a friend, and saw a reaction from this Person- without a doubt- indicating they were actively reading my SMS messages. They literally, have been watching me on Facebook five months without saying a word, reading all my chats with other people. They also must have some kind of notification when I log in, because they reacted immediately.

It gets even scarier.

I killed the out-of-town session and changed my password.
They hacked in again THAT NIGHT, and are connected in again.

This is my Question, and what has me way, way more freaked.
On one of the laptops in my house, when I log in with my 'watched' Facebook account, there is now a new button at the top of the screen that says "FACEBOOK ACCOUNT SWITCHER". When I click it, I can switch into two other people's accounts in the household.
At least, their pictures come up. I'm afraid to try it.

Where did this button come from? I've never seen it before.
My worry is that this hacker is using this button, while hacked in my account to flip over and then watch and spy on other accounts in the house too. as well as see all their information. Is that possible?
If I log in the stalked Facebook account elsewhere in the house, the weird new "ACCOUNT SWITCHER" button isn't there.
Would they have this button, too, logged in remotely?

HELP.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,169 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 05:08 am
@jres,
Facebook account switcher is normal. If more than one account has been accessed from a particular computer, and I believe you also have to tell the computer to remember your login info, then you get the switcher. I have a personal account and 2 separate work accounts, and I use the switcher all the time.

That part is harmless.

Now for being hacked (maybe, hard to say) - a lot of what people refer to as hacking isn't true hacking at all. Someone guessing your password or your security question isn't really hacking. So - even if the horse is in the next county, close that barn door now. How? By stopping answering those stupid ass questions about your pet's stripper name or yourself as a meatball. Many of those are harmless on their faces, but they can be used by people trying to pull passwords and the answers to security questions. Pretty standard security questions are pet names, mother or MIL maiden names, streets where you lived, names of schools or teachers, and favorite colors, foods, places, or songs. Any quiz which asks for any of these could be fishing for something nefarious. They aren't all -- but it does pay to be vigilant.

Now change your other passwords. Seriously. If your information is out there in some way or another, then it may be on a list (most people's information is; this is not a personal failing on your part - it's reality). Using a service like LastPass can be helpful. In the interests of full disclosure, I don't work for them or anything. But people reuse passwords all the time; it's human nature. And with a service like that, you're using just the one password for them and then they automatically create a bunch of hard to crack passwords for you on your accounts and they change them as needed.

Now, back to your pal. I'm not going to get into why it's weird to be pals with a locked-down paranoid. I've got connections to people from high school who are extremely locked down and they have their reasons. The difference is that I also knew them before. But you do you.

Still, their behavior should have been a red flag to you, and I hope that similar behaviors are in the future when you meet people online. There are a ton of people who prey on innocent folks. Even if this person has nothing to do with your situation (and it's possible that they don't, by the way), their behavior spells stranger danger to me, and it should to you, too.

Finally, if you are concerned about passwords being compromised via Facebook, you can always close your account and open a new one. Yeah, you'll have to re-friend people and all of that. But that beats the hell out of identity theft, which I have been through. You don't want to, during Covid and a national reckoning on the role of the police department, be heading to your local precinct house, online identity theft materials in hand (you would go here --> https://www.identitytheft.gov/) and talking to them about getting a report so you can tell the IRS (among other entities) that your accounts have become compromised.
0 Replies

jres

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 02:52 pm
>>> I'm not going to get into why it's weird to be pals with a locked-down paranoid.>>>

That's just it. I WASN'T being pals with them. We haven't spoken in five months. They just were hacked in, quietly watching since then.

>>>
They have since unfriended me and locked their profile completely so I can't see anything but the picture of the back of a person's head, and we haven't spoken to each other at all since February.
>>>

jespah

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 07:28 am
@jres,
How weird.

Welp, it may be time to involve the authorities
jres

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2020 08:06 am
@jespah,
>>>>Still, their behavior should have been a red flag to you, and I hope that similar behaviors are in the future when you meet people online>>>

This.
My advice: Its one thing for people to hide their Friend list publicly, many people do. But if someone "Friends" you and their friend list still remains concealed? Just stop right there. If that's the case- look over their page. Do you see any friends or relatives standing with them?
If there's no other people with them, AND the hidden friend list.... then that's a red flag.
Are they locking you out of seeing things for no particular reason? Thats another red flag imo.

This person sounded perfectly normal at first, and chatted pretty socially. They were super friendly. Though they admitted they were "paranoid about Facebook" They got weird later.
I mean you have to meet completely new people at some point.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Being stalked on Facebook- Facebook Account Switcher
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:28:20