HELP. Contractor stole my money and disappeared.

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:14 am
Hi,

I need some advice on how to handle this situation. I hired a contractor to do some minor work for me at my home. We signed a contract for the terms and all, I gave him a $150 deposit. This guy just had no clue how what and how to do contracting work, so he disappeared and disconnected his cell hpone and home number.

I know where he lives (or his mothers house) and have been sending him numerous emails. He finally emailed me back after I threatend to sue him, he told me he would send me 50% of the money by next week. I have been trying to hunt him down for at least 2 months. I responded to his email by saying " If you do not send in the full amount, then do not send anything at all and I will see you in court".

Is it worth filling a small claims case for $150 and how do you proceed to do it? I am a man of principal and honestly I dont mind to spend more then I would recover just to make this guy think twice about ever doing it again. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
NG
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,504 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 12:17 pm
I don't suppose you are in the Detroit area? There was a big deal about this a while back with contractors just taking the money and running.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 12:21 pm
Does he have a state license? Call the state board..
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 12:25 pm
Club, sorry you got bilked...luckily it was a "small" amount.
If principles are important to you...call the courthouse and they'll help you file your claim. It'll be between $100 and $200 I imagine. The contract will win you a settlement I'm sure...but collecting it is another matter.
I'll stand aside for our legal staff...if they're not on the links today...
0 Replies

clubernj

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 12:35 pm
Thanks alot,

I will definately check to see if he has a contractor liscence. I doubt he does. I am a man of priciples, I will call the courthouse in the near future and see how easy it is to file a suit.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 12:37 pm
Here's a link to provide info on deposits on contracts not fulfilled plus much more. Click on after you buy, then state. You'll have a list of agencies at the state level to help you.

http://www.consumeraction.gov/state.shtml
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 03:23 pm
Oh! By the way, welcome to a2k. Just noticed you are a newbie. Hope you enjoy your stay. and hope link I gave you helps.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 06:47 pm
For $150, see if you can get anything out of him and consider this an extrememly cheap lesson - always, always, always deal with a bonded contractor, get everything in writing and signed by both parties and check references. Although you could probably take him to small claims court, it will cost you more time and money than you will get out of it (the court cannot award you $ for time off work to do this). Do spread the word about this guy so others won't make the same mistake.
0 Replies