Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2022 07:01 am
Glaciologists are already observing what climate models predicted for the next decades: glaciers in the Alps are shrinking dramatically. Weather balloons have to rise higher than ever to find the freezing point.

August, when the Alpine glaciers regularly lose the most ice, has not yet arrived. But already the loss of glacier mass is breaking the records measured so far. This was reported by the Reuters news agency on Tuesday, which received new measurement data from the Swiss glacier measurement network Glamos and the Université Libre de Bruxelles.

According to the data, the Morteratsch glacier in the Swiss canton of Graubünden, for example, is losing five centimetres a day and has already dissolved more than at the end of an average summer. Overall, the snow and ice mass has become almost three kilometres shorter and 200 metres thinner. Glacier researcher Andreas Linsbauer has already had to drill new holes in the ice to fix the measuring instruments - a job for which he usually arrives at the end of September at the end of the melting period. According to the data, the nearby Silvretta glacier has shrunk by one metre more than in 1947, which was the year of greatest loss since measurements began in 1915.

Reuters' exclusive report: Glaciers vanishing at record rate in Alps following heatwaves

Due to the climate crisis, the disappearance of most Alpine glaciers has long been predicted. According to a report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) published in 2019, 80 per cent of the ice mass will melt by 2100 if the Earth stays on its current climate course. But if more years like 2022 follow, this will happen much faster,
bulmabriefs144

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2022 10:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Then there's a simple question to answer.

Who am I bandwagoning?

I don't agree 100% with whatever the consensus is for flat Earth. I don't agree with you. Or Neal. Or izzy. Or Anointed. Or hightor.

Who am I bandwagoning?You accuse me of following along with stupidity, you'll have to tell me who I'm being stupid and following? But I'm not following anyone. So, who am I bandwagoning?

You'll have to prove I am full of ****. Manually. Get out the probe.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 02:30 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

Then there's a simple question to answer.

Who am I bandwagoning?

I have no idea. I have NEVER suggested you are bandwagoning. All I said in the post to which you are responding is, "You are doing a fine job of that (showing that you are full of ****) on your own, Bulma. This is one of those times where if I want to help...I should not help."

Quote:
I don't agree 100% with whatever the consensus is for flat Earth. I don't agree with you. Or Neal. Or izzy. Or Anointed. Or hightor.

Who am I bandwagoning?You accuse me of following along with stupidity, you'll have to tell me who I'm being stupid and following? But I'm not following anyone. So, who am I bandwagoning?

I did not even mention you "following" anyone. What are you raving on about?

Quote:

You'll have to prove I am full of ****. Manually. Get out the probe.

I do NOT have to do that. YOU are doing that. I am not going to interfere. All I am going to do is to encourage you to continue to do that.

So...get on with it.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 07:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=glaciers+are+actually+growing&t=ftas&ia=web

The first six posts agree with me.

Then we get into rhetoric about how these are "isolated cases" and how the "vast majority" is likely shrinking. Ohhh? Tell me if that really makes sense. Refrigeration happens when ice melts, creating a cold mist. So when some glaciers melt, it is cold enough to freeze others. This is a constant event.

But but carbon dioxide! Yeah? So? In actual fact, dry ice is made from carbon dioxide, and it is rather suitable at making and keepibg things cold. You honestly think that it contributes to warming?
https://www.advancedsciencenews.com/global-carbon-dioxide-cooling/
Well, I don't. And it seems scientists agree, at least some of them.

But you don't care about real science, anyway. Call it climate change, so that no matter whether the Earth is cooling or heating at the moment, you get to perpetuate a state of alarm indefinitely.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 07:45 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:
But you don't care about real science, anyway.

bulmabriefs144 wrote:
So when some glaciers melt, it is cold enough to freeze others. This is a constant event.
Your own knowledge of science is ... well, questionable.
Glaciers form when more snow falls in a certain region than can evaporate or thaw. If more precipitation falls on top of the existing snow, the lower crystals are compressed further and further.

This creates what is known as firn ice. This is compressed even more by further layers of snow and finally becomes glacier ice. Above a certain thickness, the glacier begins to move down into the valley due to gravity.

bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 11:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Refrigerators work by converting liquid into gas and back again (evaporation and condensation). That is, you are heating someone up which creates moisture and cooling effect. With a freezer, it is the same, only solid to gas.
https://www.carrier.com/residential/en/us/products/air-conditioners/how-do-air-conditioners-work/
A glacier melting creates a **** ton of cold air and cold water. This in turn converts some water from liquid to solid (i.e. more glaciers). It also creates more moisture. More moisture means less deserts, and more green usable land (in other places, there are more deserts, but this is impossible to predict).

During the ice age, we had so many glaciers that there were entire continents that no longer exist. Not all of these were lands of ice either, some were water level rising and flooding said area. The point being that people learned to survive this change, and it happened over a few thousand years.

You know what though? Those times sucked. There wasn't a great abundance of crops, the animals during this time were much more adapted to cold than us, and most importantly? There was less food and water. More glaciers means that water level lowers. Lower water level and greater cold means more deserts, barrens, and tundras. For hunters this is okay, but not for farmers or gatherers.

And yes, glaciers behave in cycles. This is what a real chart of glaciers looks like.
http://www.exo.net/~pauld/workshops/Paleoclimate/O18_500K.gif
You notice how it kinda rises and falls? You wanna take a guess at why that is? It's because just as there is a limit to how cold things get, there is a limit to heat. When it gets too hot, a refrigeration effect results, and cold mist from melting ice caps eventually refreezes things. When it gets too cold, things dry up, and forest fires create heat. These are cycles, and they continue without any help from us.

It is incredibly narcissistic to think that we humans can create more than a minor dent in the climate. Oh yes, we can create pollution. That's not the same thing. You're basically confusing incendiaries and poison. Poison kills birds and fish, while chemicals that create heat are different. Even if we burned oil for days, by definition we would use up such chemicals, turning them into their base materials. Or do you think that under the heat of burning something like motor oil that it somehow makes it into the air intact? No, oil is constructed of long chains of carbon and hydrogen.
https://sites.google.com/site/chemistryofmotoroil/_/rsrc/1449622832431/home/hydrocarbonsMore.jpg
Heat degrades this to carbon and hydrogen in the air, which in turn becomes mostly (there is always some pollution) water as H2O and Carbon Dioxide. And some carbon monoxide.

Gasp! The level of carbon is rising! So? Usually, unless you are working with carbon monoxide (which btw, in addition to being a toxic chemical in the air, also might bond with ozone to make CO2 and O2, effectively reducing the ozone), what happens is that you take CO2 and H2O, and nearby plants make oxygen for you to breathe and sugar for them to eat.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/Photosynthesis_en.svg/800px-Photosynthesis_en.svg.png
Unless of course, you are logging in order to clear land to mind for rare earth metals to make your electric vehicles. Then you don't have enough trees to absorb heat from the sun, you don't have enough trees to create photosynthesis either. But what all of this is about is taxes.
https://www.villages-news.com/2021/06/21/climate-change-topic-is-a-scam/
Quote:
The very first statement is a blatant lie regarding earth’s past temperature history. The misleading statement follows … “There is general agreement in the scientific and governmental communities that the earth has warmed to a point higher than in any period in history…”
However, the climate record clearly shows that earth’s primates developed when the earth was 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than today — and the earth was ice free. Carbon dating shows that the Roman Warm Period was warmer than today; and as the glaciers melt, new evidence continually comes to light indicating that the Medieval Warm Period was also warmer than today.
The entire “climate change” topic is a scam.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 11:53 am
In cotton picking credible.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 11:57 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

In cotton picking credible.

I know what you really wanted to write!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 12:00 pm
@roger,
What is?

He is a flat earther who boasts of his association with convicted child rapists.

He has nothing to offer at all, it's either stupid, ignorant, bigoted or perverted.

I don't read it at all. I don't want to pollute my mind.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 12:47 pm
@izzythepush,
I never boasted about him.

The point of that is, y'all seem to be okay with your own sex offender, but I want to mention this one, and you act all hypocritical.
https://www.manhattan-institute.org/by-joe-bidens-rules-for-college-students-joe-biden-is-sex-offender

The other point is not worrying about skeletons in the closet. I have told you everything about myself that I can think of.
The fact that you haven't done the same means you must be hiding some really kinky stuff.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 12:51 pm
@roger,
And what is so incredible about that?

Most of this is like 5th grade science. We learned about photosynthesis before high school. We learned about combustion, evaporation, condensation, and solids/liquids/gases. Then you got fed garbage about climate change by politicians posing as teachers.

After that, you apparently forgot that logic dictates that all of these things we learned contradicts that idea. Because they said it was "science."
https://www.euractiv.com/section/climate-environment/opinion/climate-change-is-a-problem-of-politics-not-science/
As you can see from this post, the poster is pro-climate change activism. But he is right. Climate change is about politics, not science.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 01:05 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs' wrote:
As you can see from this post, the poster is pro-climate change activism. But he is right. Climate change is about politics, not science.
Both authors are climate scientists: Valérie Masson-Delmotte is a Senior scientist at the Laboratoire des sciences du climat et de l’environnement (France). Jiang Kejun is a researcher at the Energy Research Institute (China). They both contributed to the IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C. T. .
bulmabriefs' link wrote:
The scientific, economic and social arguments for aggressive action on climate change are powerful. It is now incumbent on our political leaders to turn the advice we in the scientific community have been providing them into the concrete action the public is demanding. We are at a fork in the road as our governments mull what action to take, and as our children and grandchildren watch on, willing us to take the right path.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 01:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
From the above link.

https://www.villages-news.com/2021/06/21/climate-change-topic-is-a-scam/
Quote:
In a rare moment of honesty, an IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) official said that climate change policy is an illusion. Ottmar Edenhofer, a former IPCC official, was quoted as saying, “One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. Instead, climate change policy is about how we redistribute de facto the world’s wealth.”

Notice the former title. They probably fired him the day he admitted that.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 09:34 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:
Notice the former title. They probably fired him the day he admitted that.
Edenhofer holds the chaur of the Economics of Climate Change at the Technical University of Berlin, is a member of the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina and of the German Academy of Science and Engineering etc etc.

Ottmar Edenhofer is co-director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research as well as Director of the Mercator Research Institute on Global Commons and Climate Change.
Regarding climate change he says: "Denying out and out that climate change is a problem for humanity, as some cynics do, is an unethical, unacceptable position."

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2022 11:19 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

Quote:
In a rare moment of honesty, an IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) official said that climate change policy is an illusion. Ottmar Edenhofer, a former IPCC official, was quoted as saying, “One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. Instead, climate change policy is about how we redistribute de facto the world’s wealth.”

This "quote" has been repeated by climate science deniers over and over again.
The quote originates from a 2010 interview, written in German, published in the >Neue Züricher Zeitung<.Anyone with some knowledge of German will notice that it a) a bad translation, b) not what he was saying, c) taken completely out of context.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2022 12:12 am
Heatwaves around world showing clear evidence of climate crisis, experts say.

Cool periods in UK are warmer than they used to be, say weather experts
Quote:
Even cool periods in the UK are now warmer than they used to be, meteorologists have warned, as an assessment of last year’s weather showed average temperatures higher across the country, in sync with rising heat across the globe.

Britain’s record-breaking heatwave last week, when the mercury topped 40C for the first time on record, has subsided into scattered showers and cooler temperatures across much of the country, but forecasters have warned that smaller heatwaves could return in the next month.

Heatwaves around the world this year are showing clear evidence of the climate crisis, experts have said. There were unprecedented heatwaves at both of the earth’s poles at once in March, followed by heatwaves in South Asia, China, Europe and north America. Wildfires are also raging in many regions, including north America and parts of Europe.

Drought is also a formidable challenge for the UK, with water levels in many rivers and catchment areas at dangerous lows in recent days. This poses a serious threat to wildlife, particularly as many UK river systems are already badly afflicted by pollution, much of it from intensive farming.

Government officials held a drought summit on Tuesday to prepare, as forecasters warned of the driest conditions seen since 1976, when a long hot dry spell led to drastic measures to conserve water. Though no drastic measures were agreed at the meeting, hosepipe bans are under consideration. Farmers may have to restrict irrigation in some areas and water companies are bracing for high demand and low rainfall.

Wouter Buytaert, professor of hydrology and water resources at Imperial College London, said: “We experience drought in the UK when the water stored in our rivers, reservoirs, and groundwater runs exceptionally low. The south-east of the UK is particularly vulnerable, not only because it receives the least rainfall, but it also has the highest demand.”

He said people could make a big difference to the availability of water by reducing their use, but in the longer term the government must act. “We should focus on the reduction of leakage, better use of rainwater in buildings, and water reuse in industrial processes.”

This year’s extremes follow a relatively moderate year in 2021, when winter and spring were “near-normal” in temperature compared with the long-term average, but summer and autumn showed a clear global heating trend, warmer by 1.5C and 1.8C respectively than the benchmark average of 1961-1990.

The maximum temperature recorded in the UK in 2021 was 32.2C, well below last week’s peaks but still markedly above the 31.4C average hottest day per year in the benchmark 1961-1990 period.

Overall, last year was the 18th warmest year on record, based on the UK’s comprehensive temperature series dating back to 1884. But 2021 also saw significant storms and weather damage, including the destructive Storm Arwen that hit last November – which would have been far more damaging had it not occurred at neap tide, when waters are low – as well as Storm Darcy in February, and heavy rain last October.

Mike Kendon, of the Met Office National Climate Information Centre, said last year’s weather had been highly variable, as laid out in the State of the UK Climate report published on Thursday. “It is telling that whereas we consider 2021 as near-average for temperature in the context of the current climate, had this occurred just over three decades ago it would have been one of the UK’s warmest years on record,” he said.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2022 06:25 am
Centre-right Climate party launches to oust Tory MPs opposing climate action
Quote:
Launched as a centre-right, single-issue party, the Climate party aims to provide Conservative voters with a business-friendly, climate-serious alternative to the Tories, whose leadership candidates have been reticent over the party’s net zero commitments as Britain buckled under 40C heat for the first time on record.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2022 08:23 am
West Virginia Punishes Banks That It Says Don’t Support Coal
Quote:
The move to exclude the institutions from state business is part of a growing effort by Republican officials to shut out companies that are backing away from fossil fuels.

West Virginia on Thursday morning announced that five major financial institutions, including Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan, would be barred from doing business with the state because they have stopped supporting the coal industry.

The announcement, made by West Virginia’s treasurer, Riley Moore, is the first time a state has moved to sever banking relationships with major Wall Street firms over objections to their efforts to reduce dangerous planet-warming emissions.

[... ... ...]

Opposition to E.S.G. is mounting in Republican circles. Former Vice President Mike Pence, a potential 2024 Republican presidential contender, recently said he wanted to “rein in” E.S.G.

House and Senate Republicans have recently spoken out against the growing push to integrate climate risk more deeply into the financial system.

And more states are poised to take action against financial institutions that are backing away from fossil fuels.

Republican lawmakers in a dozen other states have advanced bills similar to the one being enforced in West Virginia, and governors in four states, including Texas and Oklahoma, have signed such laws.

On Wednesday, Ron DeSantis, the Governor of Florida, joined the campaign, proposing legislation that would prohibit financial firms that manage the state’s pension funds from considering environmental factors when making investment decisions.

While the coal business is waning, it is still big business in West Virginia. Taxes from coal and fossil fuel industries are the third-largest source of funds for West Virginia, according to the state. In the most recent fiscal year, the state collected some $769 million in severance taxes from coal and other fossil fuel companies, representing 13 percent of the $5.89 billion in funds collected by the state.

Mr. Moore declined to say whether he accepted the scientific consensus that emissions from the burning of fossil fuels are leading to catastrophic planetary warming. Instead, he said that even if that were the case, it was his responsibility to protect the livelihoods of West Virginians.

“At what cost to human flourishing are we willing to inflict these types of restrictions as it relates to access to cheap and reliable electricity?” he said. “As West Virginians, our ability to be able to help power the nation with the natural resources that we have is a benefit not just to us, but to the entire country.”
blatham

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2022 01:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Well done on continuing to document this issue, Walter.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2022 09:20 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
So he's still got his job after admitting that?