Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

okie

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 07:28 pm
With news being fairly common about fraudulant and skewed climate data, it seems appropriate to post this again, the status of a survey of weather stations in the United States and how they have been rated in regard to accuracy. Not great, in fact the findings show the data to be likely very unreliable, with around 90% of the stations being possibly anywhere from maybe 1 degree to 5 degrees C high, or more. When you consider the fact that the calculated warming on a global scale is less than a degree, these findings are a very sober reminder that the global warming pundits simply are not to be taken very seriously, the earth could in fact be cooling significantly and we could conceivably be still fed the news that it is warming up. If the data cannot even be collected accurately, how can we actually know if the earth is warming in the first place, let alone determine the cause? Garbage in, garbage out, and thats what looks to be happening here in the United States with climate data, and I would not be at all surprised if some of the same things are happening worldwide, if not worse. After all, we now know that there are huge political ramifications spinning out of this issue, and so there are abundant motives to cook the data on the part of many different entities around the world. Add to this the fact that many so-called scientists get paid and receive grants to push this agenda. I am not the least bit surprised to see the news coming out of the hacked emails. The science has now been hijacked by political hucksters for a long time already, people like Al Gore, and don't look for it to change anytime soon.

http://www.surfacestations.org/
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:45 am
FALSE, ican, as usual . HadCrut data is notoriously incomplete on the Arctic, amongst other things because it excludes surface temperatures over the ocean (which is the bulk of the Arctic circle). See for example http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2008/11/mind-the-gap/
ican711nm

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:42 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
HadCrut data is notoriously incomplete on the Arctic, amongst other things because it excludes surface temperatures over the ocean (which is the bulk of the Arctic circle). See for example http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2008/11/mind-the-gap/

Quote:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2008/11/mind-the-gap/
The confused argument hinges on one data set " the HadCRUT 3V " which is only one of several estimates, and it is the global temperature record that exhibits the least change over the last decade. Other temperature analyses suggest greater change (warming). Thus, one could argue that the HadCRUT 3V represents the lower estimate, if a warming could be defined for such a short interval.

Global Surface Temperature Estimates

A comparison with other temperature analyses, such as the NASA/GISS (pink in the figure on the left), reveals differences. We can also compare with model-generated data (re-analyses), keeping in mind that one must be very careful with these data since they are not appropriate for studying long-term climate change (they give a misrepresentation of trends " at least on a local scale). Nevertheless, information from independent data suggest an increase in global mean temperatures even over the last decade.

All scientific questions involve some degree of uncertainties (error bars), and these can only be reduced if one can prove that they are influenced by an external factor (’contamination’) or if some of the data are not representative for the study. Hence, if some of the data are incorrect, then it’s fair to exclude these to reduce the error bars. But this requires solid and convincing evidence of misrepresentation, and one cannot just pick the low values and claim that these describe the upper limit without proving that all the data with higher values are wrong. In other words, arguing that a lower limit is the upper bound is utter nonsense (even some who claim they are ’statisticians’ have made this mistake!).

But this requires solid and convincing evidence of misrepresentation, and one cannot just pick the HIGH values and claim that these describe the LOWER limit without proving that all the data with LOWER values are wrong.

Arguing that a HIGHER limit is the LOWER bound is utter nonsense.

0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:48 pm
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=f80a6386-802a-23ad-40c8-3c63dc2d02cb
As of December 20, 2007, more than 400 prominent scientists from more than two dozen countries have voiced significant objections to major aspects of the alleged UN IPCC "consensus" on man-made global warming.

Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report
Hydro-climatologist Stewart Franks is an Associate Professor of Environmental Engineering at the University of Newcastle in Australia whose research has focused flood and drought risk and seasonal climate prediction. A March 17, 2007 article in The Australian newspaper explained Franks' climate views. Franks "is increasingly uneasy about the dangerous path the debate is taking, where alternative views are discouraged and reputations attacked and discredited. Franks says our understanding of the physics of climate is still so limited, we cannot explain natural variability or predict when droughts will break, or the when and why clouds form, which makes him wary of mainstream claims projecting temperature changes over the next century. He argues that greenhouse gases in the atmosphere account for only about 2 per cent to 3 per cent of the overall warming effect, meaning even major increases in gases lead to only slight shifts in temperature: between 0.5C and 1C. He is less certain than other dissenting scientists that variation in solar activity is the cause, but doubts that greenhouse gases are the main driver of temperature changes," the article stated. "It's clear that we don't understand enough of the physics of climate to understand natural variability but I don't expect climate change from CO2 to be particularly significant at any point in the future," Franks said. The article continued, "Franks points to new modeling which has measured changes in the Earth's albedo, or reflectance, driven mainly by cloud formation. The paper by a team of geophysicists reported an unexplained decline in cloud cover until 1998, which caused the Earth to absorb more heat from the atmosphere. This resulted in increases in incoming solar radiation more than 10 times bigger than the same effect attributed to greenhouse gases. Franks says the current IPCC models assume albedo is constant but such research should be added to the body of knowledge, not excluded or rejected. ‘It's reached the point that anyone who offers an open mind publicly is basically criticized and put down,' he says." (LINK) Franks also wrote a June 2007 paper titled "Multi-decadal Climate Variability: Flood and Drought - New South Wales" in which he concluded that "strong evidence of multi-decadal climate variability" has dominated the climate. "Climate has never been static!" Franks wrote. "Current drought cannot be directly linked to ‘climate change'" and "El Niño/La Niña variability [is] due to natural processes," Franks wrote. (LINK)

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif
Average Annual Global Temperature 1850-2009
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 02:41 am
ican says:"But this requires solid and convincing evidence of misrepresentation, and one cannot just pick the HIGH values and claim that these describe the LOWER limit without proving that all the data with LOWER values are wrong.

Arguing that a HIGHER limit is the LOWER bound is utter nonsense. "

Do you really think that was what they were saying.? No, you poor dear, it's not, and we are immediately enrolling you in remedial reading comprehension classes. Nor, if you are making a feeble attempt at satire by substituting opposite terms in the argument does itwork, since that's not what they're arguing, or what the evidence shows.

Their point is that there are analytical and methodologicalreasons,like incomplete coverage in the HadCrut data set, which make its temperature analyses the lowest--i.e. the upper bound, for contrarians, and taking to task people like you, ican, who cherrypick the data and see only HadCrut and try to pass that off as the upper bound and ignore the rest of the data (which show, insidentally, that 2005 was the warmest year on record, and 2007 was on track to top 2005 unti a laNina began late in the year, which is why the 5 year trend line dipped, which of course completely vitiates your argument that things have been cooling since 2000).

0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 10:52 am
Hannity is not even close on global temperatures.

http://mediamatters.org/research/200911250020?lid=1080056&rid=37899441
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:43 pm
But this requires solid and convincing evidence of misrepresentation, and one cannot just pick the LOW values and claim that these describe the UPPER limit without proving that all the data with HIGHER values are wrong.

Arguing that a LOWER limit is the UPPER bound is utter nonsense.

also!

But this requires solid and convincing evidence of misrepresentation, and one cannot just pick the HIGH values and claim that these describe the LOWER limit without proving that all the data with LOWER values are wrong.

Arguing that a HIGHER limit is the LOWER bound is utter nonsense.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 04:52 pm
Utter nonsense, utter nonsense.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 10:46 pm
ican, I hate to tell you this, but NO ONE is arguing that the upper limit of observations is the lower bound. That was not what the researchers or RealClimate said or even suggested. It is a figment of your imagination. your usual kind of straw man. What they WERE IN FACT saying was, that other observations, probably more reliable under the circumstances of observation and analysis, were consistently higher than HadCrut (and that all three, in fact, showed the same kind of upward trend), and that the denialists (like yourself), who insisted on using only HadCrut data were scientifically unsound in doing so. They did not claim the highest data was the lower bound of the reality--that would be scientifcally ludicrous and as far as I can see, you're probably the only person who claims to be able to read who would think that's what they said.
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 10:57 pm
I believe it was Adanac who claimed several pages back that Arctic sea ice was increasing again, which it shouldn't if global warming is real. Turns out, he's wrong. The people who claimed that were apparently misinterpreting the satellite data. Actual on-the-Arctic-sea investigation has determined that what was thought to be thick (30+ feet) and resistant-to-melting multiyear old ice, is in fact thin (6 feet or less) new ice which forms each year, is fragile,a and doesn't withstand summer temperature increases. Multiyear ice which used to cover around 90% or more of the ocean surface is now down in the teens, 17% or some such. In other words, the case for global warming, which the models suggested would show up at first more strongly in the Arctic, is by actual observation showing up first more strongly in the Arctic. Sorry, guys, you can't pick this nit any more.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34176463/ns/us_news-environment/
Ionus

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 11:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
For the current configuration of continents, the arctic ice has melted several times in the past. Why did this happen if it is an unnatural event ? In fact the planet usually does not have glaciers and arctic ice. Australia used to be covered in ice because it was at the geographic south pole. What makes you think warming and cooling hasnt happened in the past ?
0 Replies

Adanac

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:36 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

I believe it was Adanac who claimed several pages back that Arctic sea ice was increasing again, which it shouldn't if global warming is real. Turns out, he's wrong.

I posted a quote on this page about Antarctica ice increasing.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 03:13 am
yep, Anadac, it wasn't you, but okie who was wrong (about this, at least). sorry about the misattribution. However, as it happens, it looks like east Antarctica is melting too, 10% faster than it's replacing the ice, so you don't get a free pass either. Thought I'd posted this before' apparently not:
http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/antarctic-ice-melting-10-faster-than-thought-3178553
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 12:39 pm
oh, well, double oops. I know it's Canada spelled backward. I spell forward somewhat better.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 04:05 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
ican, I hate to tell you this, but NO ONE is arguing that the upper limit of observations is the lower bound. That was not what the researchers or RealClimate said or even suggested. It is a figment of your imagination. your usual kind of straw man. What they WERE IN FACT saying was, that other observations, probably more reliable under the circumstances of observation and analysis, were consistently higher than HadCrut (and that all three, in fact, showed the same kind of upward trend), and that the denialists (like yourself), who insisted on using only HadCrut data were scientifically unsound in doing so. They did not claim the highest data was the lower bound of the reality--that would be scientifcally ludicrous and as far as I can see, you're probably the only person who claims to be able to read who would think that's what they said.

I'm delighted to learn that "NO ONE is arguing that the upper limit of observations is the lower bound." I would likewise be delighted to learn NO ONE is arguing that the lower limit of observations is the upper bound.

You alleged that "what they WERE IN FACT saying was, that other observations, probably more reliable under the circumstances of observation and analysis, were consistently higher than HadCrut (and that all three, in fact, showed the same kind of upward trend), and that the denialists (like yourself), who insisted on using only HadCrut data were scientifically unsound in doing so."

Then post the graphs you think are probably more reliable than the HadCrut graphs I've repeatedly posted. Until you do post those graphs, I shall remain a skeptic--never was a denialist--that HadCrut data is probably less reliable.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 04:14 pm
Hydro-climatologist Stewart Franks, an Associate Professor of Environmental Engineering at the University of Newcastle in Australia, ... "points to new modeling which has measured changes in the Earth's albedo, or reflectance, driven mainly by cloud formation. The paper by a team of geophysicists reported an unexplained decline in cloud cover until 1998, which caused the Earth to absorb more heat from the atmosphere. This resulted in increases in incoming solar radiation more than 10 times bigger than the same effect attributed to greenhouse gases." Franks says, "the current IPCC models assume albedo is constant but such research should be added to the body of knowledge, not excluded or rejected."
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 06:28 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

yep, Anadac, it wasn't you, but okie who was wrong (about this, at least).

Wrong about what?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 10:35 pm
almost everything, always. but in this particular case, that total ice in the arctic was increasing.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 10:44 pm
sorry, that was overly snarky, i apologize, I was unable to resist the straight line, and came back too late to edit it.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 08:27 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

almost everything, always. but in this particular case, that total ice in the arctic was increasing.

MontereyJack wrote:

sorry, that was overly snarky, i apologize, I was unable to resist the straight line, and came back too late to edit it.

I did not say total ice was increasing. I merely cited the following source and made some comments including that it appeared the ice was tracking higher this year than 2007. If you can prove that wrong, be my guest, otherwise a retraction would be appreciated. I am used to the snarky comments, and I am also used to you guys misquoting , mis-characterizing, and mis-representing what I have said, but I still do not appreciate it.

Now to quote again what I said, which you can read again along with the link:

I admit to the fact that claims of significant loss in Arctic ice tend to support the thinking such as you have. I think however that the jury is far from in regarding just exactly how this is going to play out as time progresses. I doubt seriously that the icemelt is going to allow supertankers to cruise through there anytime soon, and I would not be so confident in any of your predictions for that matter. The following graph tends to show that the reduction in ice is not all that remarkable, and it shows the ice concentration this winter is tracking higher than it was in 2007.

http://nsidc.org/images/arcticseaicenews/20091103_Figure2.png
0 Replies