Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

okie

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:09 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Republicans don't believe in free market, they believe in victory and profit.

Evidence? Any at all?

Quote:
Don't defend oil companies, they have bought out patents on technolgies which could have improved MPG perfomance on cars or helped provide alternative means.

Evidence? Any at all?
I don't happen to believe any of those myths, because there is one truism, if there is a buck to be made on something that works, they would not sell it to an oil company in a dark alley somewhere never to be heard from again. They would instead make their millions, or billions on it.

Quote:
You're just hiding behind the notion or a "Free Market." The nature of competition is not the driving factor as it should be. Just admit it, we're being hustled by the people who control the supply. There is no balance between customer and supplier anymore.

The free market is more than a notion, it is the foundation of our economy.

Quote:
He with the gold makes the rules, but it should be the government not the bussiness that makes the rules. If you want to ride this sinking ship to the bottom of the ocean by defending some antiquated notion of laissez fair you are a fool. More than a fool if you think that a government cannot act in the interest of it's people when a group or organization threatens it be it economically or other. You may be content to stand by your ideals but it doesn't give them practical value.

Bottom line: Crude oil is used to produce non-reuaseable products which hurt both the economy and the enviroment. It is in the interest of any government to protect both it's economy and it's enviroment. It is also in the intrest of the citizens that these are both addressed. No free market should superceed the interests of the people or the government, certainly not the authority of the government at that. We cannot pretend that the oil industry is using the only bussiness model that will yield a profit.

T
K
O

Yes, I guess you can consider me a fool for believing in a "notion" known as the free market, it is a free country, but that doesn't make you correct, in any way shape or form. If you come up with another notion that works better, let us all know.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:24 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So, demand for crude oil has spiked to the point where it's gotten real expensive.

Republican plan: drill more!

So, when the demand rises to fill up the new level of drilling, what will the plan be?

DRILL MORE!!!!!

That's the eternal Republican plan. It makes zero sense to be investing in more infrastructure for oil drilling and refining if they are planning on a point in which other technologies will take over happening any time soon; it really is a formula to keep us addicted to oil, no matter where it comes from, for the known future.

To hell with that!

Cycloptichorn

Democrat solution to the high price of oil, shut down drilling, is that it? Would you also complain about apple prices after you quit growing apples?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:24 pm
okie wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
You're just hiding behind the notion or a "Free Market." The nature of competition is not the driving factor as it should be. Just admit it, we're being hustled by the people who control the supply. There is no balance between customer and supplier anymore.

The free market is more than a notion, it is the foundation of our economy.

Well, if that's true, why are you then crying for the government to intervene?

There's a huge demand, and even though prices go up and up, people are still driving their cars. The same is true for Europe, where gas costs about $10 a gallon. Apparently, the market still supports these prices.

Now you're claiming that innovation will not take place through government intervention, but through free market forces. Which is probably the case. If gas is expensive enough - really expensive - it will become economically feasible to drill the Barnett shale. Or to invest into alternative alternative fuels for transportation. Into research and development for electric or hydrogen cars.

But in reality, you seem to be opposed to that. In the face of rising gas prices, you demand that government should open up ANWR for drilling. That the government meddle with the free market in order to bring down gas prices. To reward bad behaviour and generate income for companies that for years have failed to develop fuel efficient cars, while punishing innovative start up enterprises that pour money into research for electric cars and alternative fuels.

That's precious little belief in free market forces. You pay lip service to the free market, "the foundation of our economy", while loudly demanding government intervention.

Just saying...
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:27 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
The year 2030

People: What now?
Republicans: uh.... Drill.... uh...! DRILL DEEPER!

T
K
O

Oil companies are already doing that, Diest, both in old fields and prospect areas, as well as new provinces, wherein deeper formations may hold more potential for hydrocarbons. They will no doubt continue to do that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:28 pm
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So, demand for crude oil has spiked to the point where it's gotten real expensive.

Republican plan: drill more!

So, when the demand rises to fill up the new level of drilling, what will the plan be?

DRILL MORE!!!!!

That's the eternal Republican plan. It makes zero sense to be investing in more infrastructure for oil drilling and refining if they are planning on a point in which other technologies will take over happening any time soon; it really is a formula to keep us addicted to oil, no matter where it comes from, for the known future.

To hell with that!

Cycloptichorn

Democrat solution to the high price of oil, shut down drilling, is that it? Would you also complain about apple prices after you quit growing apples?

The plan is to continue producing at current levels - which is going to happen for the next 5 years no matter what we do - and focus our energy on finding solutions which do not rely upon drilling resources out of the ground to stay viable.

Over time, the market will phase drilling out on its' own. Actually, I don't believe the levels will drop too far; we need oil for a wide variety of reasons, not just energy production, so it won't be going away any time soon.

Obama today:

Quote:
He also criticized McCain's proposal to offer a $300 million prize to whoever is able to develop a suitable battery.

"When John F. Kennedy decided that we were going to put a man on the moon, he didn't put a bounty out for some rocket scientist to win -- he put the full resources of the United States government behind the project and called on the ingenuity and innovation of the American people -- not just in the private sector but also in the public sector."

He's right. We have a tremendous force for change and innovation and doing things that others say is 'impossible,' in this country. But only when the force is utilized and directed is it truly effective. To rely upon the private sector is folly; as long as they can make money off of non-renewable resources, they will never innovate and never switch to renewable ones.

There are things more important then profit of companies...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:29 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
miniTAX wrote:
Name ONE, please. Shocked

Watch the movie "Who killed the electric car?" In the film they outline how the range of the electric car was limited by not using batteries which were superior. Guess who would not let those batteries be used and thus increase the range of the vehicle?

T
K
O

So your best example is a movie made in Hollywood, totally fictional?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:31 pm
old europe wrote:

No intervention requested, simply a request to get out of the way. Just as planning and zoning normally grants more permits as a city grows, the government can grant more leases on government land, which belongs to us I would remind everyone.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 04:44 pm
okie wrote:
old europe wrote:

No intervention requested, simply a request to get out of the way. Just as planning and zoning normally grants more permits as a city grows, the government can grant more leases on government land, which belongs to us I would remind everyone.

Well, of course you can argue that the government shouldn't have the power to enforce arbitrary lines in the dirt, and declare that a certain territory is off limits. You can argue that, if the government is doing that, it is merely in the way of the free market. And if the government getting out of the way would help everyone - companies can branch out to new areas, make more money, employ more people, while at the same time consumers are rewarded with lower prices - then that would be the way to go.

I'm sure you would then agree that the government should also get out of the way and stop enforcing the Southern border. It would seem that exactly the same rules apply there.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:05 pm
A majority of the Democrats have made it clear now that they oppose eliminating current federal restrictions on oil drilling (e.g., in regions more than 12 miles off shore, and in less than 0.1% of ANWAR). Because of this a majority of Democrats are now the cause of rising oil and fuel prices.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:10 pm
ican711nm wrote:
A majority of the Democrats have made it clear now that they oppose eliminating current federal restrictions on oil drilling (e.g., in regions more than 12 miles off shore, and in less than 0.1% of ANWAR). Because of this a majority of Democrats are now the cause of rising oil and fuel prices.

snort

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:18 pm
THE DISSENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC DISSENTERS

Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report

Paavo Siitam, a retired professor of chemistry, agronomy, biology, and physics, and a researcher in soils and microbiology, critiqued the Associated Press for hyping climate fears in 2007. "Despite some doom and gloom predictions, excluding waves washing onto shores by relatively rarely occurring tsunamis and storm-surges, low-lying areas on the face of our planet have NOT yet been submerged by rising oceans... so probably low-lying areas along shorelines of Canada and the USA will be SAFE into foreseeable and even distant futures," Siitam wrote to EPW on September 22, 2007 regarding an AP article predicting dire sea level rise. "By the way, I'd be happy to buy prized oceanfront properties at bargain prices, anywhere in the world, when unwarranted, panic selling begins. The dire predictions will not come true this century," he added.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 06:33 pm
Cyclo, why don't you put (3) in your signature too.

(1)
GEORGE SOROS in his 1995 book, page 145, [i]Soros on Soros[/i], wrote:
I do not accept the rules imposed by others. If I did, I would not be alive today. I am a law-abiding citizen, but I recognize that there are regimes that need to be opposed rather than accepted. And in periods of regime change, the normal rules don't apply. One needs to adjust one's behavior to the changing circumstances.

(2)
Michael Kaufman in his biography of George Soros, page 293, [i]Soros [/i], wrote:
My goal is to become the conscience of the world

(3)
GEORGE SOROS in his 2004 book, page 159, [i]The Bubble of American Supremacy[/i], wrote:
The principles of the Declaration of Independence are not self-evident truths but arrangements necessitated by our inherently imperfect understanding.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 09:22 pm
old europe wrote:
okie wrote:
old europe wrote:

Well, of course you can argue that the government shouldn't have the power to enforce arbitrary lines in the dirt, and declare that a certain territory is off limits. You can argue that, if the government is doing that, it is merely in the way of the free market. And if the government getting out of the way would help everyone - companies can branch out to new areas, make more money, employ more people, while at the same time consumers are rewarded with lower prices - then that would be the way to go.

I am not arguing that the government does not have or should not have the power to draw the line, such as which lands to lease for oil drilling. What I am arguing is that the line they have drawn is in the wrong place, for the wrong reasons, and is detrimental to the people they represent and should have acting in behalf of.

Quote:
I'm sure you would then agree that the government should also get out of the way and stop enforcing the Southern border. It would seem that exactly the same rules apply there.

There is no comparison whatsoever. You are comparing the granting of oil leases to illegal immigation? I see no valid comparison whatsoever. The oil leases are totally within the confines of our borders and are an important part of public lands management, just as grazing leases and timber cutting might be, and as far as I can tell have no relationship or comparison to immigration policy and laws that govern legal immigration.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 12:48 am
Diest TKO wrote:
miniTAX wrote:

Watch the movie "Who killed the electric car?" In the film they outline how the range of the electric car was limited by not using batteries which were superior. Guess who would not let those batteries be used and thus increase the range of the vehicle?
I don't want to guess, TKO. I want examples of patents bought out by big oils to prevent MPG improvements, which is what you claimed firsthand. What and where are they Question Question Question
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:13 am
An interesting article in today's San Jose Merc says that native plants in California which has the greatest number in the country are in danger of extinction from global warming.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 09:31 am
THE DISSENTS OF THE SCIENTIFIC DISSENTERS

Quote:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report

Meteorologist Grant Dade of Texas TV's KLTV, a member of both the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association, dismissed man-made climate fears in 2007. "I think it is about time we see the other side of the Global Warming debate come out," Dade said on November 8, 2007. "Is the Earth warming? Yes, I think it is. But is man causing that? No. It's a simple climate cycle our climate goes through over thousands of years." Dade critiqued the media for hyping climate fears while ignoring inconvenient facts. "Did you hear about the Arctic ice melting? But you didn't hear in Antarctica last winter was the most ice ever recorded," Dade said. "You don't hear that," he added.

0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:05 am
miniTAX wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
miniTAX wrote:

I don't want to guess, TKO. I want examples of patents bought out by big oils to prevent MPG improvements, which is what you claimed firsthand. What and where are they Question Question Question

miniTAX, this is interesting. I have heard these stories all my life. Some guy in Indiana or Illinois disappeared after he said he had a super efficient carburetor, and was talking to an auto or oil company, etc. etc. etc. I find it amazing that otherwise sane people, some anyway, actually believe these myths. And the best that Diest has as an example is a Hollywood movie! Laughing

Here we have auto companies, traditional giants Ford and GM, struggling to even survive as companies, and there is no doubt in my mind that if anyone had any information about a carburetor, oh by the way Diest carburetors are now pretty much antiquated, or a battery powered car that would do wonders, these companies would love to know about it so they could actually save their companies from dying on the vine. The beauty of the free market is that if such things exist, they would never be able to be squelched or thwarted. If by some weird turn of events, one was, others would still come forth, as long as there is a dollar to be made.

I still find it amazing, to look at a container of 1 gallon of gasoline, and realize that mankind has figured out a way to propel 2 tons of material a distance of 20 miles or more with it. That is almost a miracle, and it will be even more miraculous as we discover how to do it on even less or on different things, such as the sun, etc.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:17 am
okie wrote:
miniTAX wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:
miniTAX wrote:

miniTAX, this is interesting. I have heard these stories all my life. Some guy in Indiana or Illinois disappeared after he said he had a super efficient carburetor, and was talking to an auto or oil company, etc. etc. etc. I find it amazing that otherwise sane people, some anyway, actually believe these myths. And the best that Diest has as an example is a Hollywood movie! Laughing

Here we have auto companies, traditional giants Ford and GM, struggling to even survive as companies, and there is no doubt in my mind that if anyone had any information about a carburetor, oh by the way Diest carburetors are now pretty much antiquated, or a battery powered car that would do wonders, these companies would love to know about it so they could actually save their companies from dying on the vine. The beauty of the free market is that if such things exist, they would never be able to be squelched or thwarted. If by some weird turn of events, one was, others would still come forth, as long as there is a dollar to be made.

MiniTax - The name of the battery I can't remmebr, that's why I told you to watch the film. You don't have to guess if you watch the film, the name is presented.

Okie - Blah blah free market blah blah. You don't have to make more money if you can simply stop the competition from making money. As for where a dollar is to be made, I think that GM is quickly realizing the error in their judgement on the electric car and they are going for a round 2 with it. So to your 'if this technology exists' I say the economic evidence is there to be seen as well.

T
K
O
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:29 am
I do not subscribe to the idea that a business can succeed by buying out all of their competiton. It may work for a while, usually a very short while, but ultimately it fails. The only real path to success as a company is providing a superior product or service at a competitive price.

In regard to electric cars, they offer lots of potential, and are being developed, but to say the successful technology existed decades ago and GM squelched it is of course a myth.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 10:41 am
okie wrote:
I do not subscribe to the idea that a business can succeed by buying out all of their competiton. It may work for a while, usually a very short while, but ultimately it fails. The only real path to success as a company is providing a superior product or service at a competitive price.

Oh the Irony.

This is exactly why the oil companies are stupid. Short term gains for individuals, with no regaurd for the future. I sometimes even wonder of they care about the future of their own companies or if they figure they can take the system and retire before the ship sinks. I think they just don't want it to go down while on their watch, nothing more. If the oil companies were smart they would have recognized about 30 years ago, the shelf life on oil and would have made a more direct effort to diversify their interests.

BP is currently advertising themselves as an energy company (as opposed to an oil company). I'm not sure about the UK but here they even switched from "British Petroleum" to "Beyond Petroleum." While I'm not sure if this is a sincere effort or simply a reimaging campaign, I think that they certainly describing what an energy company should do. Part of me really wants this to be sincere, the other part is still to skeptical to let me buy in. I have not taken the time yet to investigate what kind of research/investment/etc they do outside of petroleum products.

T
K
O
0 Replies