Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

gungasnake

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:09 pm
maporsche wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
maporsche wrote:
I'd feel the need to point out that the Iraq war is a GIANT subsidy for the oil industry.

Stop taking the ignorance pills for a week or two and the feeling will go away.

Isn't the US taxpayer paying BILLION of dollars to secure the oil fields in Iraq....so that in a few years Exxon can sell it to us at the pump?

As I noted, only somebody taking ignorance pills could think that. It would have been vastly cheaper simply to have gone on paying Saddam Hussein for the fricking oil. We invaded Iraq because Saddam Hussein poisoned the US Senate Office Building with ****ing anthrax.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:12 pm
okie wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
okie wrote:
Given today's culture and economy, I seriously doubt we could live without oil and gas, without catastrophic economic collapse, leading to massive starvation, rampant disease outbreaks, wars, etc. I personally think oil is just as essential as food, because without it, many people would have no access to food and other essentials.

What we COULD live without is foreign oil. We should be exporting oil and not importing it and the only possible way to get from here to there is the same thing you do to give up smoking, i.e. just stop. The very first thing I'd do if I were sworn in as president tommorrow, would be ban the importation of oil. It would mess us up about as badly as we were messed up during WW-II for about a year, and it would mess up almost all of the chief villains in the world permanently.

I doubt that very seriously, gunga. You would seriously cripple and maim the economy of this country in a very profound and sudden way, and the effects would be devastating. We might recover eventually after all of the serious effects had taken their toll, but we would not be the power in the world that we have been, no way. You are talking about two thirds of the oil that we consume. It would be an interesting experiment, but I would certainly not be dumb enough to try it to see how bad it might be.

It simply wouldn't be that bad. The first thing you'd want to do is implement the little neighborhood worksite scheme and get rid of half the commuting, which could be done in 60 days. Ban all motor sports for a year, put the development of all US energy sources on a war footing...

I don't see it being any worse than WW-II and we did survive WW-II. And all the Opeckers would be living in tents and riding camels again in two years.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:28 pm
Ban all motorsports? What else would you ban? You are beginning to sound like a "government can fix anything" kind of guy, not a free marketer. I don't buy it. I don't think you are considering all the pitfalls.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:28 pm
gungasnake wrote:
maporsche wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
maporsche wrote:
I'd feel the need to point out that the Iraq war is a GIANT subsidy for the oil industry.

Isn't the US taxpayer paying BILLION of dollars to secure the oil fields in Iraq....so that in a few years Exxon can sell it to us at the pump?

As I noted, only somebody taking ignorance pills could think that. It would have been vastly cheaper simply to have gone on paying Saddam Hussein for the fricking oil. We invaded Iraq because Saddam Hussein poisoned the US Senate Office Building with ****ing anthrax.

The four stars you posted above should be the letters "N-O-T-H."

You are a fool. If this had been the reason, we would have had (and still have) more international support. Further, the reason we went there was because of the alleged ties between Osama and Saddam. Bush went in knowing full well that even if no WMDs were found, he could always dismiss it as misinformation.

He should have been impeached. I don't care if the information he had said to go. I understand that when you are the President, you have to take risks, but when you fail, there is a consequence to face, hence the risk part. If he had bad information, he get's no sympathy from me. He should have had the right information.

He has been an incompetant leader from day one. When it comes to GW and Iraq or any other issue he has seen, his loyalties are not as red, white and blue, as they are green.

Your BS is barely tolerable.

T
K
O
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:34 pm
gungasnake wrote:
maporsche wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
maporsche wrote:

So are you saying that we are NOT securing the oil fields?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:39 pm
We are securing everything else there too, so oil fields are only being secured because they happen to be there. We are securing all kinds of industries, so does that constitute a subsidy to every industry in Iraq, which I am sure includes alot of industries besides oil?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 11:02 pm
http://www.export.gov/Iraq/bus_climate/sector_overview.html

What other industries? It can be argued that every industry provided in the above link relates to the production, refinement or transport of petroleum or petroleum products.

T
K
O
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 08:14 am
Censoring Science: Inside the Political Attack on Dr. James Hansen and the Surprising Truth About Global Warming

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/18900000/18906351.JPG

Order it here... http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&endeca=1&isbn=0525950141&itm=2
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:45 am
okie wrote:
Ban all motorsports? What else would you ban? You are beginning to sound like a "government can fix anything" kind of guy, not a free marketer. I don't buy it. I don't think you are considering all the pitfalls.

In our present system, we have to figure the cost of whatever the lunatics we buy oil from are going to do to us with the money into the cost itself. To me that is basically unacceptable. What I am proposing WOULD work and it would resolve the problem.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 09:57 am
blatham wrote:
Censoring Science: Inside the Political Attack on Dr. James Hansen and the Surprising Truth About Global Warming

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/18900000/18906351.JPG

Order it here... http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&endeca=1&isbn=0525950141&itm=2

According to our recent discussion, your view would be that those insiders who are or have been among the "IPCC scientists" and who are now willing to speak out against the status quo pushed by the IPCC/UN should have more credibility than somebody trying to make big bucks with a book (along with commanding five or six figures to make speeches talking about AGW and its extreme perils), yes?

Excerpt:
Quote:
""Significant new peer-reviewed research has cast even more doubt on the hypothesis of dangerous human-caused global warming.""

BALI, Indonesia - The UN climate conference met strong opposition Thursday from a team of over 100 prominent international scientists, who warned the UN, that attempting to control the Earth''s climate was ""ultimately futile.""

The scientists, many of whom are current and former UN IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) scientists, released an open letter to the UN Secretary-General questioning the scientific basis for climate fears and the UN''s so-called ""solutions.""

""Attempts to prevent global climate change from occurring are ultimately futile, and constitute a tragic misallocation of resources that would be better spent on humanity''s real and pressing problems,"" the letter signed by the scientists read. The December 13 letter was released to the public late Thursday. (Canada Free Press)

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44061&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=7960

(P.S. I couldn't find the slightest mention of Dr. Bowen in Sourcewatch.)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:06 am
Diest TKO wrote:

You are a fool. If this had been the reason, we would have had (and still have) more international support. Further, the reason we went there was because of the alleged ties between Osama and Saddam. Bush went in knowing full well that even if no WMDs were found, he could always dismiss it as misinformation.

He should have been impeached. I don't care if the information he had said to go. I understand that when you are the President, you have to take risks, but when you fail, there is a consequence to face, hence the risk part. If he had bad information, he get's no sympathy from me. He should have had the right information.

One, it's pretty ****ing lame to claim there were no WMDs in Iraq after demoKKKrats and euroweenies taking oil4food money from Saddam Hussein made American soldiers sit there in the desert for the better part of a year while the **** got hauled off to Syria in tractor-trailers.

Two, the total amount of anthrax used was several teaspoons full, i.e. a guy like Saddam Hussein doesn't need hundreds of tons of that sort of thing to create havoc.

I have all kinds of issues with George Bush, but the war in Iraq is not one of them. Bush has actually succeeded in that operation despite being dogged at every turn by a traitorous rogue political party here at home, and that's pretty much remarkable.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:18 am
Guys, I love you dearly, but PLEASE take this discussion to one of the "I hate George Bush' or "the war in Iraq" threads. There are a plethora of them without turning this one into just another Bush-bashing and/or Iraq thread.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:00 pm
okie wrote :

Quote:
The only hope is that those industries to suffer would be replaced by other industries to replace the vacuum of energy required,

yes , that's a reasonable assumption .
i am assuming that you agree that industries using LESS energy would start to fill the void ; that's happened before and will probably happen again - it's usually called PROGRESS , i believe . hbg

however the one caveat is that those replacements are not nearly as efficient, and they will be much more costly, thus burdening an already devastated economy.

is the U.S. economy "already devastated" ?
i'm sure there would be less demand for all kinds of cheap stuff coming in from all over the world , but i have seen no proof that it would devastate the U.S. economy .
the U.S. economy was operating quite well even before walmart came along - and walmart will at some time replaced by another business - nothing unusual about that . hbg

ps. all kinds of companies come , increase in size and build up marketshare , but at a certain point in time they usually start to shrink and eventually disappear - unless they re-invent themselves .
i'm sure i don't need to supply a list of those companies ???
hbg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:28 pm
Here's an interesting graphic from the "Groovygreen" people who are not 'experts' on the subject of AGW and environmentalism, but are definitely very strong advocates on the green side. The graphic does illustrate what we've been reporting from some 'experts' however, that the so-called 'renewable' fuels have their own built in problems:

http://groovygreen.com/groove/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/corn.jpg
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:35 pm
Foxfyre, that is why ethanol is not the future of our energy independence....and the exact reason that plug in hybrids and electric cars ARE. There are now cars that will go 400 miles on a single charge....add a small gasoline engine to recharge the batteries and there you go. The infrastructure is already in place (electricity everywhere, gas stations everywhere).

ethanol is what the car manufactures want because they can still sell engine parts (electric motors don't require near as much maintenance as ICE engines do).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:40 pm
On page 791 Walter Hinteler wrote:
Carbon myths

Quote:
Myth 1 Eco lightbulbs are the best way to save electricity at home
Myth 2 Flying is responsible for only 2% of carbon dioxide emissions
Myth 3 All packaging is wicked
Myth 4 Hybrid cars are the way forward
Myth 5 Avoid food miles
Myth 6 Microgeneration is a good way for Britain to cut emissions

Quote:
Myth 4 Hybrid cars are the way forward

There is nothing wrong with hybrid petrol/electric cars. But they are an extraordinarily expensive way of avoiding emissions. The Toyota Prius may be lovely, but its emissions are no better than the latest generation of small diesels, which cost little more than half the price. Buy a small car instead and spend the savings on insulating your walls. It will have far more effect. Worried about the effect on your status of driving a small car? Buy an electric vehicle and people will simply think of you as eccentric.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:44 pm
using corn to produce energy is a stupid idea - unless you are a farmer !
look at what brazil is doing : they use the SCRAPS from the sugar cane to produce ethanol - so they get all the sugar first AND use the scraps rather than burning them .
btw when we were in hawaii three years ago , we were told that hawaii is planning to go that way too .
there is plenty of otherwise useless stuff that can be used to produce energy .

Quote:
As Brazil Fills Up on Ethanol, It Weans Off Energy Imports

David Luhnow
Geraldo Samor
The Wall Street Journal, 16 January 2006

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil -- After nearly three decades of work, Brazil has succeeded where much of the industrialized world has failed: It has developed a cost-effective alternative to gasoline. Along with new offshore oil discoveries, that's a big reason Brazil expects to become energy independent this year.

To see how, take a look at Gildo Ferreira, a 39-year-old real-estate executive, who pulled his VW Fox into a filling station one recent afternoon. Instead of reaching for the gasoline, he spent $29 to fill up his car on ethanol made from sugar cane, an option that's available at 29,000 gas stations from Rio to the Amazon. A comparable tank of gasoline would have cost him $36. "It's cheaper and it's made here in Brazil," Mr. Ferreira says of ethanol. If the price of oil stays at current levels, he can expect to save about $350 a year.

see complete article :
BRAZIL AND ETHANOL
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 12:44 pm
maporsche wrote:
Foxfyre, that is why ethanol is not the future of our energy independence....and the exact reason that plug in hybrids and electric cars ARE. There are now cars that will go 400 miles on a single charge....add a small gasoline engine to recharge the batteries and there you go. The infrastructure is already in place (electricity everywhere, gas stations everywhere).

ethanol is what the car manufactures want because they can still sell engine parts (electric motors don't require near as much maintenance as ICE engines do).

And exactly how are we going to produce the electricity those "plug in" cars require?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 01:22 pm
mysteryman wrote:
maporsche wrote:

And exactly how are we going to produce the electricity those "plug in" cars require?

My friends and relatives currently driving hybrid cars really like them and do believe the fuel costs are quite a bit more economical though they're not certain the fuel savings will offset the higher cost of hybrid technology, at least for now. Our Subaru Forrester is not a hybrid but does get 35 mpg highway which is the standard for the new energy bill making its way through Congress now and which President Bush said he would sign.

There really are no sources of electricity in many places New Mexicans need to drive. But I think we should have the debate. I wonder, however, why we seem so reluctant to consider GeorgeOb1's persistent reminders of the potential of nuclear power both for production of electricity and fueling our automobiles, etc.? It seems that would relieve the problems with carbon based fuels AND electricity generating.

Here's some more grist for the mill on the electric cars and hybrids, however:

Hybrid transit buses are starting to catch on with transit agencies around the country. But what''s the real story with these buses? Are they really cleaner and more fuel efficient than their conventional diesel counterparts?
http://www.hybridcenter.org/hybrid-transit-buses.html

Hybridcenter's take on the new energy bill - all positive:
http://hybridblog.typepad.com/

And here's the alternate point of view:
Excerpt:
Regarding "battery powered cars" and future Hydrogen-powered vehicles, they will NOT be the wonderful "energy solution" that people think they will be! People think they are "real efficient" because of no exhaust, etc. That's true, IF you only consider the car itself! (This also applies to the electric aspects of hybrid cars.)
People, including the so-called experts, seem to be overlooking a central concept! A battery does not MAKE any electricity, it merely stores it. However much energy or work or power you want to get OUT of a battery, must first get put INTO the battery! In other words, batteries are not FUEL like petroleum or natural gas or coal. They actually have no fuel at all, and are instead STORAGE devices. Hydrogen is actually much the same, as there is no existing supply of hydrogen gas; it must be produced, such as by the electrolysis of water (which requires electricity again, very similar to the battery situation). Where promotional displays show the "simplicity" of plugging the car into house electricity, they neglect to note just how much electricity that car is going to suck out of the house wiring!
http://mb-soft.com/public/cars00.html

And here:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 01:42 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Our Subaru Forrester is not a hybrid but does get 35 mpg highway

That's very good, 50% better than Subaruy officially says.
0 Replies