Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

ican711nm

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 12:42 pm
Chumly wrote:
I recognize that global warming is a metaphor for stupid environmental risk.

I recognize that global warming is a metaphor for what humans cannot control.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 02:41 pm
Two weeks of fun at our expense and no result. Yanks won't budge.

How can they? Never get through Congress now would it? We have to be realistic.

Like Bob Dylan said- "We're going all the way till the wheels fall off and burn."
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 03:55 pm
george wrote :

Quote:
If one takes out a mortgage and cannot make the agreed payments then the property that secures the loan is forefit in accordance with the mortgage contract. If a bank makes too many unwise loans and suffers financial reverses after a market turn, it will get swallowed up by another that made fewer such errors. I don't call that a mess - it is simply the fulfillment of a contract and the fortunes of business conducted unwisely. The problem is largely self-correcting. At best government can moderate such cycles and reverses - it can't prevent them. Moreover equivalent and worse outcomes are often the byproduct of government intervention.

since this really does not have anything to do with global warming , i don't want to steer this thread off-course .

i just want to say that the damage done by many unsavoury commercial actions (sub-prime mortgages , pollution , oil spills ... ) is usually unloaded on the many innocent people who bear no responsibility for it , while the perpetrators of such rogue actions have usually made their profits and fled the scene .
i do like my freedoms , but that also includes freedom from being a victim of such actions and freedom from excesses .

imo having FREEDOM also means being RESPONSIBLE for one's actions and not expecting others to carry the burden .
'nuff said .
hbg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 06:16 pm
hbg wrote-

Quote:
i just want to say that the damage done by many unsavoury commercial actions (sub-prime mortgages , pollution , oil spills ... ) is usually unloaded on the many innocent people who bear no responsibility for it

Like that school in Aberfan or those folks in Bhopal or the mining stuff.

Your freedoms, hbg, are based on such things. Can you not knock off trying to have it both ways? Ask Chief Sitting Bull if you don't believe me.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 08:12 pm
hamburger wrote:
imo having FREEDOM also means being RESPONSIBLE for one's actions and not expecting others to carry the burden .
'nuff said .
hbg

Then go tell Gore to sell a few houses and cars, and quit jet setting around the world and quit preaching to the rest of us.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 11:23 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Chumly wrote:
So Quasars are a function of global warming.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 10:02 am
not perfect ... but a step in the right direction imo .
hbg

Quote:
U.S. agrees to Bali compromiseStory Highlights

U.S. first rejects and then accepts a compromise at Bali climate conference

Final result was a pact that provides for negotiating rounds to conclude in 2009

U.N. climate change conference had been scheduled to end Friday
BALI, Indonesia (CNN) -- The United States made a dramatic reversal Saturday, first rejecting and then accepting a compromise to set the stage for intense negotiations in the next two years aimed at reducing carbon dioxide emissions worldwide.

The U.N. climate change conference in Bali was filled with emotion and cliff-hanging anticipation on Saturday, an extra day added because of a failure to reach agreement during the scheduled sessions.

The final result was a global warming pact that provides for negotiating rounds to conclude in 2009.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called the pact "a good beginning." "This is just a beginning and not an ending," Ban said. "We'll have to engage in many complex, difficult and long negotiations." Watch as emotional conference declared a success ».

The head of the U.S. delegation -- Under Secretary of State for Democracy and Global Affairs Paula Dobriansky -- was booed Saturday afternoon when she announced that the United States was rejecting the plan as then written because they were "not prepared to accept this formulation." She said developing countries needed to carry more of the responsibility.

While rhetoric at such conferences is often just words, a short speech by a delegate from the small developing country of Papua New Guinea appeared to carry weight with the Americans. The delegate challenged the United States to "either lead, follow or get out of the way."

Just five minutes later, when it appeared the conference was on the brink of collapse, Dobriansky took to the floor again to announce the United States was willing to accept the arrangement. Applause erupted in the hall and a relative level of success for the conference appeared certain.

Watch CNN's Dan Rivers on Bali 'rollercoaster ride.' »

Saturday's session, a roller coaster ride for delegates and the media, began with optimism after the European Union and the United States reached agreement on a compromise for their differences on a global warming pact.

The U.N. climate change conference had been scheduled to end Friday. But the delegates returned to the negotiating table early Saturday after talks went well into the night before. The new pact is meant as a roadmap for future climate talks, which will culminate in Copenhagen in 2009.

Humberto Rosa, a Portuguese environmental official, said the two sides had come to an agreement over wording about future emissions cuts that would not include specific guidelines. The United States objected to the specific guidelines, saying including them was moving the process too quickly and would preempt any future negotiations.

The EU wanted an agreement to require developed countries to cut their emissions by 25 to 40 percent of 1990 levels by 2020. The United States opposes those targets, along with Japan and Canada.

The latest draft of the agreement removes the specific figures and instead, in a footnote, references the scientific study that supports them.

While the EU and the United States appeared to have ended their impasse, India had objections to other parts of the agreement, notably the contributions developed nations would make to help developing nations clean up their emissions problems. Talks were expected to continue for several more hours.

Environmental groups said the new pact makes the agreement less forceful than it might have been, but agreed that it is probably the best that could be had given the staunch objections of the Bush administration.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who attended the conference earlier this week but left for a visit to East Timor, announced Saturday that he was unexpectedly returning to Bali to help shepherd the talks as they apparently neared a conclusion.

At one dramatic point Saturday, Ban took the podium to say urge compromise before adjournment.

"Frankly, I'm disappointed at the level of progress," he said.

Without specifics, however, some believed the final agreement would amount to failure.

"Let me underline once again that the Bali road map must have a clear destination," said Stavros Dimas, the EU environment commissioner.

But Rajendra Pachauri, who heads the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, said such a stance would ignore the other progress being made at the conference. He said simply having a strong statement paving the way for future action would suffice.

"I wouldn't term that a failure at all," Pachauri said. "I think what would be a failure is not to provide a strong road map by which the world can move on, and I think that road map has to be specified with or without numbers. If we can come up with numbers, that's certainly substantial progress, and I hope that happens."

The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change passed the Kyoto Protocol 10 years ago, with the goal of limiting greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere.

While 175 parties -- including the European Union -- ratified it, the United States has not.

CNN's Dan Rivers contributed to this report.

U.S. AGREES TO BALI COMPROMISE
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:15 pm
It's enough to make a cat laugh.

Do you really swallow that shite hbg?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 12:28 pm
so where do you stand on climate change Spendy? Your 24 carat gold cynicism is perhaps understandable, but what do you actually think? You're more than intelligent enough, and I believe you have a scientific education, so quit the snide remarks for a moment and tell us what your position is.

And for once dont digress about the price of fish or Smorgies underwear.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 01:00 pm
I got rid of my car. I have never been more than 600 yards, (the distance to the pub) from my house during my leisure time for 7 or 8 years except for one wedding which was 2 miles so I got a lift.

I have never been abroad except by direct command of the government. I never go on holiday. I buy second hand books which are already in the world. All my clothes are from thrift shops and thus already in the world. I'm a vegan more or less. I ignore Christmas. I rise at about 10.30 am.

But I have central heating including bed warmers, I have a good TV set and I get groceries brought in. If everybody was like me there would be no GW and the Dow Jones would be bumping the bottom. That's why we are addicted.

I eschew those things not because I am virtuous but because they are useless activities and painful and expensive to perform. If I was daft enough to engage in them I wouldn't give a shite about GW. Why should I? Nobody else does.

But don't they like to accompany their rampant consumerism (code for credit crunch) with guilt laden hand wringing of the most elaborate hypocrisies.

And if they catch a priest in a brothel, just one, they go into feeding frenzy mode.

Name me a group the size of media denizens which has a CO2 footprint as deep as they have.

It's hilarious. I'm not cynical.. You are.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 01:02 pm
Chumly wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Chumly wrote:
So Quasars are a function of global warming.

Laughing
QUAsi StellAr Radio Sources are a function of loud mouth stars exhaling too much radiation. Global warming is a function of loud mouth humans exhaling too much CO2 plus of course the fluctuating radiation of our loud mouth sun.

So, all you loud mouths shut the hell up!

Shocked Whoops! That might make the earth a little chilly! But so what! For a while at least I can continue to fly airplanes without having to listen to a lot of crap about human caused global warming. Got to take the bad with the good. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 02:07 pm
....for anyone who missed this brilliant idea, climate change caused persecutions of jews in the Middle Ages, though it was cooling, not warming...

Quote:
Climate has been a factor in religious strife stretching back more than a millennium. The crop shortages that resulted from the so-called Little Ice Age that began in the late 13th century underlay some of the subsequent period's religious persecution, including witchcraft trials and pogroms on Jews. Related shortages of resources in the Middle East and Mesopotamia provoked similar violence against Christian minorities.

This past suggests that the scarcity brought about by warmer temperatures will make it hard for religious minorities to survive and force splinter groups to move to nations that are more sympathetic to them.

http://blogs.wsj.com/informedreader/2007/12/10/global-warming-likely-to-heat-up-religious-conflicts/
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 04:32 pm
hamburger wrote:
hbg

Its nothing more than politics, not science, hamburger.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 05:08 pm
Quote:
hamburger wrote:
hbg

Its nothing more than politics, not science, hamburger.

i have nothing against politics if it moves us - in what i think - is the right direction .
others may disagree - that's their privilege .

it seems to me that the U.S. governenmt has after all agreed to go along with the rest of the world . perhaps some day we may find out why .

there always will be politics and governments - certainly NOT PERFECT - but it's the best we have . we can always try and improve upon things .
sometimes , as i only know too well , improvements may turn out to be like the proverbial "fool's gold" - but i'm not willing to give up .

it's like old age , it's not perfect , but it's the only thing i have , and i'm not ready to accept the alternative yet - maybe some day i will be !
i'll let you know when that happens - hopefully not too soon :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 05:27 pm
As long as it doesn't harm our economy greatly, why not humor other countries for political purposes? I don't see that it accomplishes anything, but if they think it does, perception trumps reality in today's world.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 05:28 pm
okie wrote:
As long as it doesn't harm our economy greatly, why not humor other countries for political purposes? I don't see that it accomplishes anything, but if they think it does, perception trumps reality in today's world.

In fact, the effect will most likely be the exact opposite - it will help our economy greatly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 05:33 pm
Quote:

i'm not convinced that the U.S. delegates saw it that way , but i'm ready to learn more anytime .
hbg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 05:56 pm
I do believe that reducing our consumption of imported petroleum will indeed help us economically.

To achieve that I believe we should encourage the rapid doubling of our nuclear power generating potential as a means of displacing the huge quantities of domestic natural gas, wastefully burned in the inefficient production of electrical power in gas turbine plants (about 16% of our total electrical production), enabling the gas to be used in our vehicle transportation system. In addition this nuclear resurgence will be an important bridge in enabling us to develop and sustain the cadre of nuclear engineers and designers who will be needed to get us to the eventual practical use of fusion reactors - which are the only long-term solution to human energy needs.

We should also encourage continued reserarch in improved applications of solar power, as well as various demand reduction in novations to improve efficiency and reduce the wasteful consumption of fossil (and other) fuels. However we should avoid subsidizing things like solar power precisely because that would be a disincentive to the needed development of more economical approaches to this source. Right now solar is far too expensive to yield any net economic benefit to us.

I am opposed to any treaty obligation to some extra national body that might assert its ability to enforce limits on CO2 emissions or anything else like it. In the first place the current Kyoto signatories have so far shown no inclination to themselves act on the obligations they so proudly and solemnly undertook. They are a disreputable group that has no claim whatever to the moral authority they so cynically claim to exercise. Secondly there is no basis for agreement among nations like Russia, China, and India or any other developing nations to any options whatever in the name of limiting greenhouse gas emissions. Thus the notion of an extranational authoritarian enforcement of greenhouse gas limitations no credible basis in reality. It is merely an illusion put forward by immature tinkerers who, Walter Middy-like, amuse themselves with absurd notions for the perfection of mankind. They are not to be taken seriously.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 06:00 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I do believe that reducing our consumption of imported petroleum will indeed help us economically.

To achieve that I believe we should encourage the rapid doubling of our nuclear power generating potential as a means of displacing the huge quantities of domestic natural gas, wastefully burned in the inefficient production of electrical power in gas turbine plants (about 16% of our total electrical production), enabling the gas to be used in our vehicle transportation system. In addition this nuclear resurgence will be an important bridge in enabling us to develop and sustain the cadre of nuclear engineers and designers who will be needed to get us to the eventual practical use of fusion reactors - which are the only long-term solution to human energy needs.

We should also encourage continued reserarch in improved applications of solar power. However we should avoid subsidizing it precisely because that would be a disincentive to the needed development of more economical approaches to this source. Right now solar is far too expensive to yield any net economic benefit to us.

I am opposed to any treaty obligation to some extra national body that might assert its ability to enforce limits on CO2 emissions or anything else like it. In the first place the current Kyoto signatories have so far shown no inclination to themselves act on the obligations they so proudly and solemnly undertook. They are a disreputable group that has no claim whatever to the moral authority they so cynically claim to exercise. Secondly there is no basis for agreement among nations like Russia, China, and India or any other developing nations to any options whatever in the name of limiting greenhouse gas emissions. Thus the notion of an extranational authoritarian enforcement of greenhouse gas limitations no credible basis in reality. It is merely an illusion put forward by immature tinkerers who, Walter Middy-like, amuse themselves with absurd notions for the perfection of mankind. They are not to be taken seriously.

Christ, gas turbines are really 16%? I had no idea!! How inefficient.

I agree about the Nukes and the increased solar. I'm not sure that subsidizing it will stop efficiency gains, as there's already a huge amount of scientific research going into those gains. Might I ask, are you against subsidies for oil and coal energy? Those subsidies provide a disincentive for them to streamline their processes.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 06:11 pm
What subsidies for coal and oil? I'm not aware of any.

I don't think that subsidies for solar will entirely stop the development of improved systems, but I do fear they could seriously limit them. The historical track record of government subsidies reveals that (1) they tend to last long after the reason for their creation has gone; and (2) they encourage inefficiency. I'm confident enough of our technical prowess to believe that with sufficient economic incentive we will indeed develop economically competitive solar applications. Right now solar energy costs two or three times as much as coal or petroleum, but improvements are possible. The worst thing we can do for it is to reduce the incentives to quickly find them.

16% of our total electrical power production is from natural gas - almost all of which is produced in relatively small gas turbine plants. This is simply a side effect of the unthinking opposition of lunatic NIMBYs and environmentalists to the construction of any new coal-fired or nuclear plants. These gas turbine plants are the only available alternative and the public has apparently accepted the patently false notion that somehow they don't emit greenhouse gasses.

Yet another example of the pernicious side effects of government intervention, motivated by the reforming impulses of authoritarian zealots who assume they are endowed with the wisdom to perfect mankind.
0 Replies