Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

xingu

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 05:52 pm
FYI

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/Images/atmostrend_amsu_200512.jpg

Quote:
Climate models predict that the build up of greenhouse gases should warm the lower layer of the atmosphere, called the troposphere, and cool the layer above it, the stratosphere. Greenhouse gases accumulate in the troposphere where they absorb energy radiated from the Earth and re-emit energy back to the surface. Because the gases trap heat in the lower parts of the atmosphere, the stratosphere cools down. This pattern of warming in the lower atmosphere and cooling in the stratosphere is a hallmark of greenhouse gas warming in global climate models.

These images show temperature trends in two thick layers of the atmosphere as measured by a series of satellite-based instruments between January 1979 and December 2005. The top image shows temperatures in the middle troposphere, centered around 5 kilometers above the surface. The lower image shows temperatures in the lower stratosphere, centered around 18 kilometers above the surface. Oranges and yellows dominate the troposphere image, indicating that the air nearest the Earth's surface warmed during the period. The stratosphere image is dominated by blues and greens, indicating cooling.

Globally, the troposphere warmed, and the stratosphere cooled during this period. Local trends varied. The greatest tropospheric warming was in the Arctic, where warming is amplified as snow and ice melt. The Antarctic, on the other hand, showed no warming, probably because it is surrounded by a large ocean that moderates warming and because snow and ice cover haven't changed as much as they have in the North. The ozone hole over Antarctica may also contribute to the localized cooling because the loss of ozone allows slightly more infrared (heat) energy than usual to escape into space.

In the stratosphere, two warm spots over Antarctica and the Arctic appear to defy the overall cooling trend. These warm spots occur because polar stratospheric temperatures can fluctuate widely. (The poles experience periodic events known as sudden stratospheric warmings, during which the vortex of winds that circles the poles breaks down. When this happens, the stratosphere can warm several tens of degrees Celsius in a few days.) The dramatic temperature fluctuations mask the true cooling trend in this image. The cooling trend in the stratosphere was probably not solely due to greenhouse gas warming at lower altitudes; loss of ozone also cools the stratosphere.

The measurements were taken by Microwave Sounding Units and Advanced Microwave Sounding Units flying on a series of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather satellites. The instruments record microwave energy emitted from oxygen molecules in the atmosphere. Warmer molecules release more energy than cooler molecules, so scientists can measure the temperature of the atmosphere by recording the amount of microwave energy being emitted. Early analyses of these measurements showed little or no warming in the troposphere, where models predicted that warming should be occurring. For a time, these measurements caused some people to question the validity of global climate models and greenhouse gas warming. Scientists discovered, however, that the satellites carrying the microwave instruments had drifted in their orbits over time, so that more recent measurements were taken at a different time of day than older measurements. Once scientists accounted for this bias and other differences between the individual instruments, the measurements showed a warming trend in the troposphere, consistent with surface observations of rising global temperature.

Re-analysis of the satellite measurements answered one of the frequently asked questions about global warming: why didn't the early satellite data show warming in the lower layer of the atmosphere? To read more on this topic, see Global Warming Questions & Answers, which addresses this and other common questions about global warming.

Further reading
Global Warming Questions & Answers on the Earth Observatory.
Global Warming, a fact sheet published on the Earth Observatory.
Karl, T. R., Hassol, S. J., Miller, C. D., and Murray, W. L., editors. (2006). Temperature Trends in the Lower Atmosphere: Steps for Understanding and Reconciling Differences. A Report by the Climate Change Science Program and the Subcommittee on Global Change Research, Washington, DC. Accessed June 8, 2007.

Ramaswamy, V., Schwarzkopf, M.D., Randel, W.J., Santer, B.D., Soden, B.J., Stenchikov, G.L. (2006, Feb 24). Anthropogenic and natural influences in the evolution of lower stratospheric cooling. Science, 311, 1138-1141.
Remote Sensing Systems. (2007, June 12). Description of MSU and AMSU Data Products. Accessed July 5, 2007.

NASA image created by Jesse Allen, using data provided courtesy of Remote Sensing Systems

Caption information courtesy Carl Mears, Remote Sensing Systems, and Paul Newman and Joel Susskind NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
[/b]

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images.php3?img_id=17698
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 08:45 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Recycling also has environmental impacts associated with it, such as energy use, transportation, etc., that varies with whatever you are recylcing. You have to think in terms of more than one dimension

Mining and harvesting new materials also has environmental impacts, such as energy use, transportation etc. I've seen little compelling evidence that the environmental impact of recycling is generally higher then of collecting new materials; you certainly haven't provided any.

You are arguing off of shoddy logic. It isn't 'always' anything, ever.

Cycloptichorn

I am fully aware of all of your arguments, cyclops, which is beside the point of the question. The task at hand is can you bring yourself to answer "yes" or "no?" Is recycling always more efficient? What is your answer to the simple question? May I respectfully ask you to quit dodging the question.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 03:33 am
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Recycling also has environmental impacts associated with it, such as energy use, transportation, etc., that varies with whatever you are recylcing. You have to think in terms of more than one dimension

Mining and harvesting new materials also has environmental impacts, such as energy use, transportation etc. I've seen little compelling evidence that the environmental impact of recycling is generally higher then of collecting new materials; you certainly haven't provided any.

You are arguing off of shoddy logic. It isn't 'always' anything, ever.

Cycloptichorn

I am fully aware of all of your arguments, cyclops, which is beside the point of the question. The task at hand is can you bring yourself to answer "yes" or "no?" Is recycling always more efficient? What is your answer to the simple question? May I respectfully ask you to quit dodging the question.

I think it's pretty obvious his short answer to this still nonsensical question is "No".
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:40 am
One thing is for sure...

Okie thinks recycling his question (and tired argument) is efficient.

Does that mean he thinks all recycling is efficient?
0 Replies

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 01:46 pm
You have to admit that okie has a point.

It's true to say that the total amount of available materials on the Earth is finite, and capable of being exhausted; at the same time, it's also true that (for most stuff) the total available amount is large and in no danger of immediate exhaustion. (I'm not terribly worried about leaving huge caches of material for future generations - if they're not mining asteroids, what the heck are they doing all day? ;p)

As a particular material is exploited, further exploitation becomes more and more expensive - the cheaper sources are mined out first, then more expensive ones, then yet more expensive ones. At some point, the recycling process for a particular material will reach equilibrium with the cost of new production - at that point, it's economically efficient to recycle the material.

Certainly, you can factor in the external costs for a more comprehensive equilibrium, but you have to factor them in for both sides. Sure, filling a landfill has an environmental impact, but so does recycling collection - and that collection is actually a lot harder than, say, general trash disposal.

For certain materials, we've already reached that point of equilibrium, or at least close enough where it's not economically stupid to reclaim the waste material. Aluminum reached this early on, mostly because the manufacturing process is REALLY energy-intensive - with energy prices up as high as they are, saving some of it is a big return. Also, the aluminum that's recycled tends to be in discrete packets - we're a lot more likely to recycle a soda can than we are to rip aluminum inserts out of a car.

Paper as well - certain grades of paper can be manufactured from recycled materials, and there's a LOT of waste paper in the world.

Even water gets "recycled" pretty thoroughly - though this is as much of a pollution issue as a recycling one.

But that doesn't mean that every material is a good candidate for recycling - a lot of it depends on the available supply and quirks in the manufacturing process. Iron, for example, is tough to recycle - it's a lot easier to make more than to de-rust and re-forge the old stuff.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 02:26 pm
We'll probably have to wait a while concerning fraudulent, malicious, and/or ungrammatical or incoherent statements by not a few posters around here, but Prof. Lindzen's office can confirm Newsweek's statement of several pages back. For shame - some here!

Quote:
Professor Lindzen is a dynamical meteorologist with interests in the broad topics of climate, planetary waves, monsoon meteorology, planetary atmospheres, and hydrodynamic instability. His research involves studies of the role of the tropics in mid-latitude weather and global heat transport, the moisture budget and its role in global change, the origins of ice ages, seasonal effects in atmospheric transport, stratospheric waves, and the observational determination of climate sensitivity. He has made major contributions to the development of the current theory for the Hadley Circulation, which dominates the atmospheric transport of heat and momentum from the tropics to higher latitudes, and has advanced the understanding of the role of small scale gravity waves in producing the reversal of global temperature gradients at the mesopause. He pioneered the study of how ozone photochemistry, radiative transfer and dynamics interact with each other. He is currently studying the ways in which unstable eddies determine the pole to equator temperature difference, and the nonlinear equilibration of baroclinic instability and the contribution of such instabilities to global heat transport. He has also been developing a new approach to air-sea interaction in the tropics, and is actively involved in parameterizing the role of cumulus convection in heating and drying the atmosphere. Prof. Lindzen has developed models for the Earth's climate with specific concern for the stability of the ice caps, the sensitivity to increases in CO2, the origin of the 100,000 year cycle in glaciation, and the maintenance of regional variations in climate. In cooperation with colleagues and students, he is developing a sophisticated, but computationally simple, climate model to test whether the proper treatment of cumulus convection will significantly reduce climate sensitivity to the increase of greenhouse gases. Prof. Lindzen is a recipient of the American Meteorological Society's Meisinger, and Charney Awards, and American Geophysical Union's Macelwane Medal. He is a corresponding member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences Committee on Human Rights, a member of the U.S. National Research Council Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate, and a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is a consultant to the Global Modeling and Simulation Group at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, and a Distinguished Visiting Scientist at California Institute of Technology's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. (Ph.D., '64, S.M., '61, A.B., '60, Harvard University) [email protected]

http://web.mit.edu/cgcs/www/dir.html
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 02:41 pm
You have to admit that okie has a point.

Thanks.

I decided to try to get cyclops to admit to the simplest of obvious points. I was only marginally successful, as cyclops seems to have the problem of simply being unable to bring himself to answer a simple question yes or no, the answer to which either opens up a whole new vista of logical analysis or serves to continue a totally closed mind that ignores reality.

maporsche finally answered the question, but added an addendum that indicated that recycling was more efficient the vast majority of the time. Thats fine, I can live with that, as at least that opens up some opportunity to look at each case in an objective manner.

For myself, I believe recycling is in fact more efficient at least part of the time, but I honestly do not know what percent of the time, and each commodity would have to be evaluated in time and location to determine the truth about it. The point of my question is extremely important, and that is to try to find people that are capable of analyzing issues based on the realities of various factors as pertains to economic efficiencies rather than simply forming beliefs based on emotion.

As an aside to the discussion here, I have a comment about the Live Earth events. If anyone thinks that going around breaking windows out of cars and houses would be useful to "raising the awareness" of vandalism problems, then I imagine that person or persons would also love the Live Earth events for raising awareness about the supposed earth's crisis.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 03:22 pm
High Seas wrote:
old europe wrote:
High Seas wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The favourite resource of many here, the highly paid consultant for the energy industry, MIT-professor of atmospheric science, Richard Lindzen is [
"[......................]
Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

Nonsense - at best.
Checking a source more reliable than the foregoing:

Quote:
Lindzen is the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His research has always been funded exclusively by the U.S. government. He receives no funding from any energy companies.

© 2007 Newsweek, Inc.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17997788/site/newsweek/

So? You realize that he can be a highly paid consultant for the energy industry, while never receiving any research funding from energy companies?

Old Europe - are you at liberty to disclose the jurisdiction which awarded your LL.D.?

Not a single one in "Old Europe" will fail to construe the deliberate insertion of words in a text which is subsequently presented as a verbatim quote from the original as fraud.

No clue what you're talking about here, HS. Is this a somewhat twisted way of asserting that I changed a quote? Or that I misquoted your your post here? Well, that didn't happen.

Anyways, as you probably didn't pay a lot of attention when you read what I had written the first time, let me explain it to you again. I do not doubt that Lindzen has not received any money for his research from anybody but the government.

For example, here's a quote from Ross Gelbspan:

Quote:
Dr Lindzen himself, his research is publicly funded, but Dr Lindzen makes, as he told me, $2,500 a day consulting with fossil fuel interests, and that includes his consulting with OPEC, his consulting with the Australian coal industry, his consulting with the US coal industry and so forth.

You see, what has been said was that Lindzen received money for his services as a consultant from fossil fuel interests. And that's essentially just what Walter has said earlier. It obviously doesn't mean that his research has been financed by fossil fuel interests.

It seems to be a wee bit silly that you would get all excited about that and act as if those two things (getting money as a consultant - not getting money for his research) were mutually exclusive.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2007 10:48 pm
Thanks, oe.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 07:37 am
Iron, for example, is tough to recycle - it's a lot easier to make more than to de-rust and re-forge the old stuff.

Uh, nothing could be farther from the truth. You simply melt it, skim off the slag, and pour... If you are talking steel, rather than iron, the process is more involved but still at least as efficient to recycle the old as to mine and process ore... I used to recycle 100 TONS of iron a day. Too bad the USA and the EPA decided it would be better for Americans to flip burgers than to "flip" scrap iron.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 08:34 am
Quote:
The point of my question is extremely important, and that is to try to find people that are capable of analyzing issues based on the realities of various factors as pertains to economic efficiencies rather than simply forming beliefs based on emotion.

Okie, stop being silly. You knew what my answer to your unfair question was long ago.

I'll make you a deal - I'll answer any question you like, if you answer this simple yes or no question for me first: Have you stopped beating your wife?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:15 am
cjhsa wrote:
Iron, for example, is tough to recycle - it's a lot easier to make more than to de-rust and re-forge the old stuff.

Uh, nothing could be farther from the truth. You simply melt it, skim off the slag, and pour... If you are talking steel, rather than iron, the process is more involved but still at least as efficient to recycle the old as to mine and process ore... I used to recycle 100 TONS of iron a day. Too bad the USA and the EPA decided it would be better for Americans to flip burgers than to "flip" scrap iron.

I can't think of a recyclable metal that would be less efficient then mining ore. You have to mine thousands of tons of rock to extract the metal, that has to be less efficient or at the very least as efficient as recycling. And obviously recycling has the added benefit of reducing landfill.

"De-rust" iron....funny stuff Avatar.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:53 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
The point of my question is extremely important, and that is to try to find people that are capable of analyzing issues based on the realities of various factors as pertains to economic efficiencies rather than simply forming beliefs based on emotion.

Okie, stop being silly. You knew what my answer to your unfair question was long ago.

I'll make you a deal - I'll answer any question you like, if you answer this simple yes or no question for me first: Have you stopped beating your wife?

Cycloptichorn

Whos being silly? Your question implies I have been beating my wife. My question implies nothing except what is in the question which asked whether we can always assume recycling is more efficient regardless of what is to be recycled. My question is no more ambiguous than if I asked you if gasoline is the most efficient fuel in all applications, yes or no. I find it preposterous that anyone could find simple technical questions so difficult.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:58 am
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Whos being silly? Your question implies I have been beating my wife. My question implies nothing except what is in the question which asked whether we can always assume recycling is more efficient regardless of what is to be recycled. My question is no more ambiguous than if I asked you if gasoline is the most efficient fuel in all applications, yes or no. I find it preposterous that anyone could find simple technical questions so difficult.

It's a simple question, but it's an unfair one and a strawman, as nothing is ever 'always,' as I said earlier. It isn't always more efficient to recycle then it is to grab new stuff out of the ground. But in the overwhelming number of cases it is more efficient to do so for exactly the reasons I have outlined earlier.

I posted the other question as an example of what it's like to be asked an unfair question - which is what you've been doing. It's not designed to move the conversation forward, but instead to provide you with a 'gotcha' moment: you will say 'well at least I got you to admit that it isn't always, and somehow this proves my position.' It doesn't prove your position. It's just an unfair question.

Here's another one for you: is the US always morally correct in its' actions?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:01 am
maporsche wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

I can't think of a recyclable metal that would be less efficient then mining ore. You have to mine thousands of tons of rock to extract the metal, that has to be less efficient or at the very least as efficient as recycling. And obviously recycling has the added benefit of reducing landfill.

"De-rust" iron....funny stuff Avatar.

I'm not sure about metal, you might be correct, but I believe some metals are obviously more economical or efficient to recycle than others. Avatar pointed out an important point that as a raw material becomes more scarce, an equilibrium is reached where recycling becomes more efficient once the equilibrium line is crossed.

To explain something that should be totally obvious here, and I fail to understand why some very simple principles are not obvious to you guys, if it takes 2 gallons of fuel to recycle a product, as compared to one gallon of fuel to manufacture something from scratch, then can we assume we need to balance the benefit of conserving the material vs the fuel, and balance the rarity of each? Obviously yes. If we are running out of fuel, such as oil, faster than the material we are recycling, then that might be a tipoff that recycling is less efficient. We would of course need to look at other aspects of the process, such as how much fuel and metal is used to transport the recycled material vs used to mine the raw material. These are only two factors of countless factors involved in the analysis of the efficiency of recycling.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:05 am
Quote:

To explain something that should be totally obvious here, and I fail to understand why some very simple principles are not obvious to you guys, if it takes 2 gallons of fuel to recycle a product, as compared to one gallon of fuel to manufacture something from scratch, then can we assume we need to balance the benefit of conserving the material vs the fuel, and balance the rarity of each?

That's not the total cost, though; there's also the cost of storing the trash that you decided not to recycle, shipping that stuff, the environmental cost of digging the new material out of the ground, and refining it from scratch.

Doesn't make much sense to me to pay to throw stuff away AND to pay to dig new stuff up, when you could just pay once to recycle the old stuff.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:07 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

It's a simple question, but it's an unfair one and a strawman, as nothing is ever 'always,' as I said earlier. It isn't always more efficient to recycle then it is to grab new stuff out of the ground. But in the overwhelming number of cases it is more efficient to do so for exactly the reasons I have outlined earlier.

I posted the other question as an example of what it's like to be asked an unfair question - which is what you've been doing. It's not designed to move the conversation forward, but instead to provide you with a 'gotcha' moment: you will say 'well at least I got you to admit that it isn't always, and somehow this proves my position.' It doesn't prove your position. It's just an unfair question.

Here's another one for you: is the US always morally correct in its' actions?

Cycloptichorn

I'm not ready to move to your question about the moral correctness, for which the answer is obviously no, but your arguments in the past about recycling always took the arrogant position that it was virtually always more efficient, and you are unwilling to even look at the issues beyond an emotional belief that you have.

Now that the answer is established as "no," my next question, which will totally flummox you, is if the efficiency is an open question for each commodity, how do you determine the efficiency and who determines it, cyclops? Do you just take a look at the commodity and make a gut reaction based on some preconceived feel good idea, or just how do you decide this, and who decides it?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:15 am
Quote:

I'm not ready to move to your question about the moral correctness, for which the answer is obviously no, but your arguments in the past about recycling always took the arrogant position that it was virtually always more efficient, and you are unwilling to even look at the issues beyond an emotional belief that you have.

My position is still that in virtual every case it's more efficient to recycle a product then it is to throw it away. I've provided you with two examples of modern techniques of recycling which can be installed on-site or in-neighborhood, and work on practically anything you throw in them. It isn't 'pie-in-the-sky' to rest one's arguments on the newest, best technologies available.

Quote:
Now that the answer is established as "no," my next question, which will totally flummox you, is if the efficiency is an open question for each commodity, how do you determine the efficiency and who determines it, cyclops? Do you just take a look at the commodity and make a gut reaction based on some preconceived feel good idea, or just how do you decide this, and who decides it?

You're not going to like my answer, but what you are describing is the beginning of the quite necessary addition of some socialist elements to our economic system. Our current system is wasteful in the extreme. You are correct that it's difficult to figure out efficiencies when you can just ignore the effects of your actions; for example, there's no repercussion to mining ore out of the ground and destroying the local environment, b/c the company involved just doesn't give a f*ck about the environment. There's little economic repercussion to burying stuff in the ground instead of recycling it, b/c people think that if you can't see something, it doesn't exist/affect you, so those who throw their trash away just don't give a f*ck about the effects of doing so.

There is no other option for humanity then for our system of production to change to include greater models of environmental efficiency as well as economic efficiency. It is the only solution which works in the long run.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:25 am
I knew where this was headed, and apparently you did too. You would rather put your faith in some politburo or central planning to tell all the rest of us whether something is efficient or not. You are ignoring some very important lessons taught us by history. Not only does central planning fail for economic reasons, but also for environmental reasons.

I fail to see how mining has been so detrimental to us, and in fact without it, we would all be still living in mud huts. Maybe you would prefer that, yes or no?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:32 am
okie wrote:
I knew where this was headed, and apparently you did too. You would rather put your faith in some politburo or central planning to tell all the rest of us whether something is efficient or not. You are ignoring some very important lessons taught us by history. Not only does central planning fail for economic reasons, but also for environmental reasons.

I fail to see how mining has been so detrimental to us, and in fact without it, we would all be still living in mud huts. Maybe you would prefer that, yes or no?

Appealing to Extremes is a poor form of argumentation, Okie. When are you going to learn to stop doing it?

Until you answer my question about whether or not you've stopped beating your wife, I'm afraid I can't answer any more of yours. But I will talk about 'central planning' for a minute.

Our society and gov't rely upon 'central planning' in order to function. We have a great deal of central planning as it is, and I don't see you complaining that it's failing left and right. What I am discussing is just applying this same level of planning to judging the environmental impacts of production.

Now, I know that you conservatives think that any sort of regulation or interference with business is the Devil, but it isn't. You use the word 'politburo' to invoke Communist ideas, but there's no more reason to do that then there is to invoke Hitler in discussions of Bush. It's an emotional argument that you've posed, not a logical one.

There is little doubt that the profits for businesses will be curtailed by taking environmental concerns into account, and forcing them to be accounted for. But Humanity as a whole will profit greatly from having a world that is capable of sustaining our ever-increasing population. As the amount of humans on the planet grows, our efforts at environmental control will have to grow as well, just to keep up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies