Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

parados

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:17 am
We can't trust those computer models because they are way off..
Source

Quote:

Arctic sea ice reported melting 30 years ahead of projected pace
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Last update: April 30, 2007 - 9:46 PM

BOULDER, COLO. - Arctic sea ice is melting three times faster than many scientists project, U.S. researchers reported Monday, days ahead of the next major international report on climate change.

Scientists at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and the University of Colorado in Boulder concluded, using actual measurements, that Arctic sea ice has declined at an average rate of about 7.8 percent per decade between 1953 and 2006.

By contrast, 18 computer models used by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a U.N.-sponsored climate research group, estimated an average rate of decline of 2.5 percent per decade over the same period, the researchers said.

Yes, the models can be off but there is no guarantee that they will only be too alarmist.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 07:34 am
parados wrote:
We can't trust those computer models because they are way off...
Come on Parados. Don't pretend you are interested in facts :wink:
That study suits you only because it's highly alarmist, that's it all about.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 08:01 am
miniTAX wrote:
Walter, the fact that the forest surface is now the same than in the 14th century (which I seriously doubt) does not refute my claim that it has dramatically shrunk up until the start of 20th century...

-reuth, -rode, -roth etc indeed indigate that those places were 'cleared' (= "gerodet").

About 1400 was the time when that period ened. I suppose that is why "14th century" is taken generally as reference date.
From that period onwards, no replanting had been done (left alone those 'artifical' hunting forests by regional princes) until the early 19th century ... but the wood was used.

The dramtic shrunk up has a lot to do with the destroyed forest during the second world war.

(I got the infos reading diagonal through some copies of the German forest scienes magazine "Forstliche Forschungsberichte" ['Forestal Research Reports'].)
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 09:54 am
ehBeth wrote:
High Seas wrote:
hamburger wrote:
i noticed that the report high seas is citing was issued "10/18/01" -
or am i mistaken ?

An actual reading of the report will clear this up in your mind, Hamburger..

Was the report not issued in 2001?

It's worse than you think, ehBeth - not only is this not a "report" (as you and Hamburger appear to believe), it's not only written in 2001, but, same as the ratio of the circle circumference to the radius (discovered 500 B.C.) it is scientific truth!

Of course, crass ignorance of science would suggest that pi is pie in the sky, being so very, very old Smile
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 10:25 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
minitax, you accused the British of being hysterical, but I detect a note of hysteria in your posts of late, even if not hysterically funny.

First, no one doubts peak oil anymore. Governments dont. Oil companies dont, and an increasing number of the general public dont. Its just the timing that is in doubt. It ranges from NOW to 2030 or so, depending on who you listen to. Its the sort of phenomenum we cant predict precisely, and probably wont be able to pin it down until we have passed it. But even so, 25 years is not a long time ahead.

A few "flat earth" economists still believe oil supply is dependent on demand and price, but petroleum geologists know better.

As for GW being a figment of my imagination, or whatever it was you said, that is rather typical of some of the silly things you have been coming out with lately.

George, you are of course correct that all human activity generates CO2. The manufacture and fabricating of concrete structures generates a lot. As does the manufacture of solar panels or whatever. All I was saying is that to get an accurate measure of the carbon footprint of any endeavour, you have to take into account not only the carbon dioxide produced during its lifetime, but also the CO2 generated in building or manufacture and in disposal or decommissioning.

I was not arguing for the extermination of mankind.

That petroleum production will one day peak and subsequently decline is but a tautology -- hardly an interesting "discovery". Many factors can influence this from market forces, to production capacity, investment in new technologies, to future expectations of price and value on the part of producers; the availability of alternate sources, and a host of political & environmental factors. There is a great deal of uncertainty in all this, but it is clear that, despite rapidly increasing demand, the demise of petroleum is not iminent as the fear mongers would have us believe.

The suggestion that nuclear power production is not so carbon friendly because the original construction of a plant (that can operate for 50-70 years) involves the release of carbon, is in ordinary terms, positively deceptive, presisely because all sources of power require comparable initial releases, while nuclear involves no emissions whatever during its operation (other than those associated with maintenance, etc, which are also commom to all sources). To cite nuclear and gas-fired plants in the same breath is even more deceptive - there are orders of magnitude of difference in the carbon releases associated with the two sources. These kinds of blatant inconsistencies are the hallmark of purposeful propaganda.

Fear of catastrophie and the collapse of optimism about the future appears to be an increasingly widespread phenomenon among Europeans, particularly the British. Perhaps this is a by product of the ageing populations and increasingly rigid social welfare systems that prevail there.
0 Replies

miniTAX

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:23 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Fear of catastrophie and the collapse of optimism about the future appears to be an increasingly widespread phenomenon among Europeans, particularly the British. Perhaps this is a by product of the ageing populations and increasingly rigid social welfare systems that prevail there.
Or perhaps it's due to years of Blairism or the persistent decline of Science & Engineering in British universities or the more widespread faith in the environmental religion (in secular Europe in general) or because Maggie launched this AGW theory back in the 80s to kill coal and boost nuclear ?
The fact that the BBC has become the official voice of doom (be it in peak-oil or GW) doesn't certainly help Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 08:28 pm
miniTAX wrote:
parados wrote:
We can't trust those computer models because they are way off...
Come on Parados. Don't pretend you are interested in facts :wink:
That study suits you only because it's highly alarmist, that's it all about.

It seems some people don't understand sarcasm. Nor do they understand the salient point being made when their position is being lampooned.

The models can be off but there is no gaurantee that they will be off in one direction as you and your "ilk" keep claiming they are. Unlike some here, I don't pretend when it comes to facts. :wink:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:10 am
miniTAX wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
First, no one doubts peak oil anymore. Governments dont. Oil companies dont
Those are ludicrous claims you can only find on peak oil web sites. Show us a single oil company document or a government (from the energy department, the ones who know what they talk about) official declaration which support what you said. If you can't, what you say is just what peakoiler have repeated for nearly 20 years : unfounded hysteria from people with a near religious attraction for catastrophy propheties. (I gave earlier a link to trendline.ca which has plotted different prediction from EIA, IEA, Total, Exxon...).
I cant produce classified information.
Quote:
What they don't want you to know about the coming oil crisis.
Soaring fuel prices, rumours of winter power cuts, panic over the gas supply from Russia, abrupt changes to forecasts of crude output... Is something sinister going on? Yes, says former oil man Jeremy Leggett, and it's time to face the fact that the supplies we so depend on are going to run out.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article339928.ece

Quote:
Many of the official sources of data used to model oil peak such as OPEC figures, oil company reports, and the USGS discovery projections, upon which the international energy agencies base their own reports, can be shown to be very unreliable. Several notable scientists have attempted independent studies, most notably Colin Campbell

People like Campbell and Matthew Simmons are not doomsday cultists.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:33 am
George wrote:
That petroleum production will one day peak and subsequently decline is but a tautology -- hardly an interesting "discovery"
Well glad you accept the reality. Please explain this to minitax.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:36 am
Steve, don't you read anything other than doomsday sources?

World oil supply still plentiful, study shows
Updated: 2:21 p.m. MT Nov 14, 2006
HOUSTON - World oil production will not begin to fall for at least another 24 years, contrary to doomsday theories that supply is already in terminal decline, a prominent energy consulting group said Tuesday.

Cambridge Energy Research Associates said in a report that the world has some 3.74 trillion barrels of oil left -- enough to last 122 years at current consumption rates and triple the amount estimated by "peak oil" theorists.

The world consumes nearly 85 million barrels of oil per day, with the United States using about a quarter of that, according to the Department of Energy.

"Oil is too critical to the global economy to allow fear to replace careful analysis about the very real challenges with delivering liquid fuels to meet the needs of growing economies," said Peter Jackson, director of oil industry activity for Cambridge, a Massachusetts-based consultant to the oil, natural gas and electric power industries.

The said the peak in global daily oil production will not come before 2030 and will be followed not by a steep decline, but rather by an "undulating plateau" of ups and downs in output before a gradual dropoff, according to the report
MSNBC - MORE HERE

And

HERE FROM ARABNEWS

And

HEAVY OIL RESERVES

And

THE NEXT HURRAH

And
THIS FROM TIME
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:45 am
What ExxonMobil Corp, the world's largest publicly traded oil company, published last year in adverts:
"Oil is a finite resource, but because it is so incredibly large, a peak will not occur this year, next year or for decades to come."

Shocked
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:50 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 07:59 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Walter posted before I could edit my previous post ...
And re Walter's post: CERA is not ExxonMobile

Just to clarify: neither did I know that Foxfyre wanted to edit her response nor did I say that CERA was ExxonMobile.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 08:05 am
True, Walter didn't say that ExxonMobile was CERA. However his post immediately followed mine and expressed shock that ExxonMobile would express confidence in the plentifulness of our present oil supplies. And CERA agreed wtih them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 08:22 am
Since you left out the other part of my clarification, you obviously imply that I knew you wanted to edit your response.

Again: I neither knew that nor did I say, write or subliminally allegate that ExxonMobile was CERA.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 08:24 am
And that is completely unresponsive to anything I said, Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 11:30 am
Who's the first to call this woodoo-science etc?

American Geophysical Union: Editor's Highlight

Quote:
Arctic sea ice decline: Faster than forecast?

From 1953 to 2006, Arctic sea ice extent at the end of the melt season in September has declined sharply. Though all models used in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's (IPCC) Fourth Assessment Report show declining Arctic ice cover over the observational record, none of the models individually shows trends comparable to observations during this time period. Hypothesizing that the average of all model simulations provides an accurate representation of both natural and human-induced climate change feedbacks in the Arctic, Stroeve et al. (2007) suggested that 33-38% of the observed September trend from 1953 to 2006 is externally forced by greenhouse gas emissions. If only the past 27 years are considered, changes induced by greenhouse gas emissions increase to 47-57% of the observed September trend. Given that as a group, the models still underestimate observed ice loss, the authors expect that the externally forced component of Artic sea ice decline may be larger. This suggests that the Arctic could be seasonally free of sea ice earlier than the IPCC projections, which range from 2050 to well beyond 2100.

Published: 01 May 2007

View full article. (Subscription required.)

Citation: Stroeve, J., M. M. Holland, W. Meier, T. Scambos, and M. Serreze (2007), Arctic sea ice decline: Faster than forecast, Geophys. Res. Lett., 34, L09501, doi:10.1029/2007GL029703.
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 11:31 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
HokieBird wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Yes that information has been posted in various forms several times Hokie, and each time it is ignored or dismissed by the pro-AGW crowd.

Of equal interest is that Pluto is also warming. I wonder if all the planets in between here and Pluto are also warming?

I thought Steve41oo might want to start a movement to save the Martian polar bears.

(They'd pay attention if they could find someone on Mars to tax)
I dont care about Martian polar bears, nor much about terrestrial hokie birds....when they come out with silly comments like that.

Silly is how I'd describe your eco-religion global warming scam, so good choice of words there.

Fruitcake is how I'd describe anyone buying into the "peak oil" scaremongering.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 11:36 am
Fruitcake and Martian polar bears are certainly unbeatable arguments.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 04:10 pm
HokieBird wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
HokieBird wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Yes that information has been posted in various forms several times Hokie, and each time it is ignored or dismissed by the pro-AGW crowd.

Of equal interest is that Pluto is also warming. I wonder if all the planets in between here and Pluto are also warming?

I thought Steve41oo might want to start a movement to save the Martian polar bears.

(They'd pay attention if they could find someone on Mars to tax)
I dont care about Martian polar bears, nor much about terrestrial hokie birds....when they come out with silly comments like that.

Silly is how I'd describe your eco-religion global warming scam, so good choice of words there.

Fruitcake is how I'd describe anyone buying into the "peak oil" scaremongering.
global warming is a fact not a scam. Where have you been? Oil is a finite resource. If Saudi Arabia can "easily supply another 15 mbd for a hundred years", why are they building new rigs? Still if you deny the problem, there are no unpleasant consequences right? People like Matthew Simmons are not fruitcakes. They are hard-bitten oil men, and in Simmons case a senior advisor to US Govt.
0 Replies