Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

georgeob1

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 04:41 pm
parados wrote:
To say they have no value would mean that any argument that they won't happen has no value as a scientific prediction. Any model that shows the climate cooling or not accelerating is subject to the exact same doubt you attribute to the hypothesis you consider extreme.

Since we can apply no probability to the extreme arguments it means we can apply no probability to any arguments. This would mean science can have no predictive value ever.

No, you are wrong. The scientific evaluation of the predictions of the global numerical weather model, and similar models used to forecast doomsday global warming, is that they have no scientific value as predictions. This is the result of the sensitive dependence on initial conditions -- a mathematical discovery that was made in the mid 1960s and which led to the development of a larger more developed theory of chaos in the following decades. Not all mathematical models are subject to chaos. The conditions that can lead to it are now well-known. They are the presence of strong non-linear, coupled components and a parabolic structure among the dimensional derivitives (terms of art used in differential equations, each having very specific meanings).

Science does indeed have predictive value. That is precisely because it is careful enough to identify those areas in which it has none. This is one of those areas.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 04:47 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
parados wrote:
To say they have no value would mean that any argument that they won't happen has no value as a scientific prediction. Any model that shows the climate cooling or not accelerating is subject to the exact same doubt you attribute to the hypothesis you consider extreme.

Since we can apply no probability to the extreme arguments it means we can apply no probability to any arguments. This would mean science can have no predictive value ever.

No, you are wrong. The scientific evaluation of the predictions of the global numerical weather model, and similar models used to forecast doomsday global warming, is that they have no scientific value as predictions. This is the result of the sensitive dependence on initial conditions -- a mathematical discovery that was made in the mid 1960s and which led to the development of a larger more developed theory of chaos in the following decades. Not all mathematical models are subject to chaos. The conditions that can lead to it are now well-known. They are the presence of strong non-linear, coupled components and a parabolic structure among the dimensional derivitives (terms of art used in differential equations, each having very specific meanings).

Science does indeed have predictive value. That is precisely because it is careful enough to identify those areas in which it has none. This is one of those areas.

They have little predictive value in telling what will happen, but great value in showing what could happen.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 04:50 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

They have little predictive value in telling what will happen, but great value in showing what could happen.

Cycloptichorn

"great value" ??? I don't think so. The fact is the results are no more likely than a random guess. They have no predictive value -- none, nada, nothing.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 04:53 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

"great value" ??? I don't think so. The fact is the results are no more likely than a random guess. They have no predictive value -- none, nada, nothing.

Well, the models show the kinds of changes we could see in terms of weather patterns and surface temperatures. They predict the possible effects of climate change. That's useful to know, even if there is disagreement over the rate of change or even which direction it's going.

I'm sorry to have to disagree and say that models which predict weather pattern changes and ocean temperature changes - based on assumptions (bolded so that we're clear I understand this part of the argument up front) that the atmosphere continues to grow hotter - do have predictive value. They don't tell us what will happen, for sure, but give us ideas of what could happen.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 04:58 pm
I get your point about assumptions. I agree such assumptions may indeed be a useful starting point for such investigations as to possibilities. However, once you use these assumptions and plug them in to the same non-linear, coupled, parabolic differential equations and integrate to a future state, you simply get more chaos.

These are all intriguing possibilities and bear continued investigation. However they are most certainly not a sound basis on which to make such profound choices with respect to human economic activity and freedom.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 05:05 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I get your point about assumptions. I agree such assumptions may indeed be a useful starting point for such investigations as to possibilities. However, once you use these assumptions and plug them in to the same non-linear, coupled, parabolic differential equations and integrate to a future state, you simply get more chaos.

These are all intriguing possibilities and bear continued investigation. However they are most certainly not a sound basis on which to make such profound choices with respect to human economic activity and freedom.

I totally agree with this, though I would say that our science and knowldege of the environment will always be changing and improving. The system itself is so complicated that we are going to have to make at least some assumptions to have any sort of predictive model of the future of our climate.

I think we should take a cautious approach to addressing some of the problems that we see as possibly forming over the horizon; maybe focusing on those which have side benefits, such as cleaning the air or water of pollutants.

I don't think that the Chicken Littles have a lock on my side of this issue. There is plenty of room to be concerned about the environment without predicting that we're all going to die unless the Goodyear tire factory in Little Rock gets shut down immediately.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 05:56 pm
I fully agree.

It is interesting though that the mathematical fact and principle that I have noted here gets so little attention in the "concerned" media. Hype and hysteria are always more exciting than the more prosaic march of reality. Human beings of all kinds and all educational levels are all too willing to jump on a wagon that appears to be headed somewhere exciting and rewarding. Con artists who offer escape from unseen danger if we will only surrender our freedoms are not at all new, but remain sadly successful.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 06:11 pm
i have probably found the best and easily understandable information re. global warming on the "lloyd's of london" website - see link at bottom .

there is a great deal of material presented by following the various links given - in particular "lloyd's climate change report" document - its subtitle is "climate change : adapt or bust !").

i'ts probably best if i don't pull out any particular statements , but let you have a look at the total package at your leisure - you'll need a bit of time to read it all - i am quite sure you'll find it worthwhile .

hope you'll enjoy the experience .
hbg

LLOYD'S OF LONDON
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 06:53 pm
blatham wrote:
okie wrote:
Foxfyre, do you sense that the tide is beginning to turn in our favor? The weight of scientific evidence is simply not heavy enough in their favor to keep their agenda rolling as it did 3 or 4 years ago.

You poor, deluded bastard.

Just remind yourself, blatham, that you love consensus. So if the scientific "consensus," turns against what you want to believe, remember, you love "consensus."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:37 am
Quote:
Just remind yourself, blatham, that you love consensus. So if the scientific "consensus," turns against what you want to believe, remember, you love "consensus."

Like yourself, I'm only fond of consensus when I'm part of it. On those other occasions, I see Satan's hand.

I have no axe to grind on this matter with no financial or ideological interests at stake.

I do not trust the energy interests to behave differently than tobacco interests or weapons salesmen, that is, I do not trust them to act primarily in the public's interests. That they have funded many millions to hinder consensus and action on GW and its possible consequences, often covertly and through front groups designed to appear unrelated to those industries and interests, is not only a matter of fact, it is also completely predictable that they would behave in this manner. It is public relations and marketing for them.

It is not that these interests will seek to do harm, or even innocently but yet inevitably cause harm, it is that if such harms from their products or activities appear on the horizon, they will commonly act so as to suppress or denigrate this information on the prudent assumption that it might lead to a consensus (in government and/or public) inimical to their interests.

We have little reason to trust them in such a case and much reason (historically and logically) to distrust them and those who function as a consequence of their financial support. Nicotine levels in cigarettes are now higher than they were ten years ago. That's not a chance accident.

And the truth of it is, that I do not much credit several friends of mine contributing to this thread because of their ideological or partisan (or both) stances on government regulations and on their assumptions regarding the eventual certain benefits of 'free market' interplay.

On the other hand, I have little reason to discredit the consensus which has arisen in the scientific community worldwide on the anthropogenic factor in global warming along with the possibility of catastrophic consequences and good reason to presume those closer to the truth than the counter position (for the reasons above).

Arguments that this scientific community is motivated to find catastrophe where it is not so as to drive the "need" for their services is a transparent silliness. Why no equal concern regarding cancer or HIV research scientists? Surely they too must be driven by the same dynamics and thus must be greedy self-serving fear-mongers as well. And why do we not see a commensurate expansion in earthquake or asteroid detection or paranormal scientific activity with 'disaster inevitable!' campaigns?

But what is equally transparent here is the industry's public relations necessity to decry and foment doubt regarding both the objectivity and the intentions of the scientific community.

Here's a relevant piece..
Quote:
Evangelicals battle over agenda, environment
Global warming and other causes stray too far from battles on abortion, gay rights and similar 'great moral issues,' some leaders say.
By Stephanie Simon, Times Staff Writer
March 10, 2007

A struggle for control of the evangelical agenda intensified this week, with some leaders declaring that the focus has strayed too far from their signature battles against abortion and gay rights.

A new generation of pastors has expanded the definition of moral issues to include not only global warming, but an array of causes. Quoting Scripture and invoking Jesus, they're calling for citizenship for illegal immigrants, universal healthcare and caps on carbon emissions.

The best-known champion of such causes, the Rev. Jim Wallis, this week challenged conservative crusader James C. Dobson, the chairman of Focus on the Family, to a debate on evangelical priorities.

"Are the only really 'great moral issues' those concerning abortion, gay marriage and the teaching of sexual abstinence?" Wallis asked in his challenge. "How about the reality of 3 billion of God's children living on less than $2 per day? … What about pandemics like HIV/AIDS … [and] disastrous wars like Iraq?"...

The public dispute began with the release of a letter signed by several men who helped transform the religious right into a political force, including Dobson, Don Wildmon of the American Family Assn. and Paul Weyrich of American Values.

When he preached recently at a conservative evangelical college, Wallis said, he was besieged by students furious at the Rev. Jerry Falwell, who recently described global warming as a satanic plot to divert Christians from more pressing moral issues, such as spreading the Gospel.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-evangelicals10mar10,0,5336382.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Now, just why the hell is a church group so involved and invested in a non-theological scientific matter such as global warming!?

"most of them activists, not theologicans" gives you a part of the answer. "cemented ties with the Republican party" and "dangerous and divisive alignment with the left on global warming" gives you another part of the answer.

There you have an example of consensus sought and actively promoted for no other reason than political power, quite regardless of any objective truth or empirical facts. And as everyone knows, there is no significant relationship between the Republican Party (in Texas particularly) and the industries about which we are speaking.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:22 am
Here's a cute bit on the matter of marketing techniques to foster or inhibit consensus...
Quote:
Don't mention the polar bears, Bush tells US scientists
By Steve Connor, Science Editor
Published: 10 March 2007

The Bush Administration has been accused once again of gagging US government scientists by getting them to agree not to talk about polar bears, sea ice and climate change during official overseas trips.

A leaked memorandum issued by a regional director of the US Department of the Interior states that officials within the US Fish and Wildlife Service will limit their discussions when travelling in countries bordering the Arctic region because of sensitivities about climate change.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2344771.ece

Why this odd-seeming directive on polar bears but not on, say, the Hooded Snark Crab?

This administration understands very well the public relations value of 'story' or 'narrative'... the personalization of an issue so as to engender sympathies or to inhibit sympathies. Is there anyone you know who doesn't find polar bears cuddly and loveable and magestic? Such a personalizable animal can easily become a symbol to people as a beautiful creature which we cannot morally allow to approach extinction. Think of the cute harp seal.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:24 am
The only people I know who find polar bears cuddly are either idiots or dead.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:28 am
Yes, but as the rest of us have always understood implicitly, your mommy never gave you a teddy bear, bown, black or white. And if I could, I'd give you a big hug right now.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 09:49 am
cj wrote :

Quote:
The only people I know who find polar bears cuddly are either idiots or dead.

since people are greater killing machines than polar bears (who usually only kill to eat ... unlike "human" beings) , would it be fair to expand on cj's comments ?
such as : "The only people I know who find human beings cuddly are either idiots or dead . " is that an unfair interpretation of cj's comments ?
hbg

ps. i don't know how "cuddly" made its way into it , should anything that's not cuddly be done away with ?
just wondering ...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:26 am
Your daughter, sir, appears to be unusually cuddly. We certainly don't want her done away with. By way of contrast, the other fellow we are talking to here...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 01:33 pm
blatham wrote:

I do not trust the energy interests to behave differently than tobacco interests or weapons salesmen, that is, I do not trust them to act primarily in the public's interests. That they have funded many millions to hinder consensus and action on GW and its possible consequences, often covertly and through front groups designed to appear unrelated to those industries and interests, is not only a matter of fact, it is also completely predictable that they would behave in this manner. It is public relations and marketing for them.

It is not that these interests will seek to do harm, or even innocently but yet inevitably cause harm, it is that if such harms from their products or activities appear on the horizon, they will commonly act so as to suppress or denigrate this information on the prudent assumption that it might lead to a consensus (in government and/or public) inimical to their interests.

I agree - more or less. However, you should also consider the subjective factors that infect the behaviors of protagonists on the other side of these divides. Everyone and every group acts to further its self-interest. That includes oil companies as well as environmental groups and individual professionals (and others) merely seeking personal advancement.

blatham wrote:
We have little reason to trust them in such a case and much reason (historically and logically) to distrust them and those who function as a consequence of their financial support. Nicotine levels in cigarettes are now higher than they were ten years ago. That's not a chance accident.
But your skepticism is asymmetrical and that induces bias.

BTW THC levels in weed are now much higher than in decades past. That is no accident either. Both are harmful chemicals and induce habitual behavior. Does that concern you?

blatham wrote:

And the truth of it is, that I do not much credit several friends of mine contributing to this thread because of their ideological or partisan (or both) stances on government regulations and on their assumptions regarding the eventual certain benefits of 'free market' interplay.

On the other hand, I have little reason to discredit the consensus which has arisen in the scientific community worldwide on the anthropogenic factor in global warming along with the possibility of catastrophic consequences and good reason to presume those closer to the truth than the counter position (for the reasons above).
I feel the breath of a direct reference to my political beliefs. Your skepticism is fine, but why do you apply it so selectively? There is no serious debate, here or beyond, about the human factor in increased CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere, and their likely contribution to observed warming. What is at issue is the relative magnitude of cause and effect compared to other known geological processes, and, in particular, the various tipping point scenarios, forecasting runaway warming and rapid climatological catastrophe. There is little scientific consensus on these points and much of ignorant hysteria -- much of it fuelled by "analyses" that are grossly misrepresented as scientific predictions, despite well-known mathematical issues that directly invalidate their results. (My interest in the issue is partly a result of the fact that it is related to the subject of my own dissertation and research.)

blatham wrote:
Arguments that this scientific community is motivated to find catastrophe where it is not so as to drive the "need" for their services is a transparent silliness. Why no equal concern regarding cancer or HIV research scientists? Surely they too must be driven by the same dynamics and thus must be greedy self-serving fear-mongers as well. And why do we not see a commensurate expansion in earthquake or asteroid detection or paranormal scientific activity with 'disaster inevitable!' campaigns?
The fact is we have indeed seen such things. There has been no shortage of either charlatans or hysteria in the matters of HIV & cancer. Many of the forecasts current in the late 1980s about the eventual spread of HIV have already been proven wrong. Grim as it is, the disease has proven to be less contagious than many of its early scare mongers predicted. Moreover, though it is politically incorrect to say so - and hardly ever noted, its transmission by anal intercourse is far more efficient than other forms of sexual intercourse.

I really don't want to get far into a renewed debate over the assumed nefarious conspiracy of Protestant Evangelicals to influence public policy in a coordinated manner on a host of loosely-related issues that concern them. I regard their motives and the distortions & hidden subjective assumptions that do accompany their rhetoric as more or less equivalent to the alternative versions put out by the equally well-organized secular materialist groups around the country. Both are effective in advancing their views and influence in the political debates here, and both are motivated by fixed subjective beliefs of which I am equally skeptical.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 01:42 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
There has been no shortage of either charlatans or hysteria in the matters of HIV & cancer. Many of the forecasts current in the late 1980s about the eventual spread of HIV have already been proven wrong.

Well, I'm not so uptofate re cancer, but some still belive I', quite qualified re HIV - the prevention of that disease, namely.

And the prevention and education about HIV hadn't started parallel to the "hysteria", no-one really seriously doubts that the actual prediction had become true.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 02:05 pm
blatham
Quote:
It is not that these interests will seek to do harm, or even innocently but yet inevitably cause harm, it is that if such harms from their products or activities appear on the horizon, they will commonly act so as to suppress or denigrate this information on the prudent assumption that it might lead to a consensus (in government and/or public) inimical to their interests

george
Quote:
I agree - more or less. However, you should also consider the subjective factors that infect the behaviors of protagonists on the other side of these divides. Everyone and every group acts to further its self-interest. That includes oil companies as well as environmental groups and individual professionals (and others) merely seeking personal advancement.

The Hell's Angels, the south american drug cartels, emergency room nurses and the catholic church are all merely seeking personal advancement. They all are, in no other important sense, differentiatable. Their credibility is equal and their operations in the world are without significant distinction. Skepticism regarding any of these entities must be, to be unbiased, perfectly symmetrical.

blatham wrote:
Quote:

george
Quote:
But your skepticism is asymmetrical and that induces bias.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 03:01 pm
blatham wrote:

The Hell's Angels, the south american drug cartels, emergency room nurses and the catholic church are all merely seeking personal advancement. They all are, in no other important sense, differentiatable. Their credibility is equal and their operations in the world are without significant distinction. Skepticism regarding any of these entities must be, to be unbiased, perfectly symmetrical.

That is a distortion of what I wrote. I said all are equally motivated by self-interest, and that all should be evaluated with skepticism. I did not say that all equally distort the truth, knowingly or otherwise. I did not say that they are not differentiatable - in any sense. Indeed human nature is such that each would be most tempted to lie or distort things in different ways and to different degrees. Some have better track records in mitigating these inclinations than others.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 03:01 pm
Quote:
There has been no shortage of either charlatans or hysteria in the matters of HIV & cancer. Many of the forecasts current in the late 1980s about the eventual spread of HIV have already been proven wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for anyone who thinks that the aids crisis is diminishing , this article provides sobering news .

from "medical news today" - see link below) :

Quote:
26 Years And HIV/AIDS Continues Unchecked
08 Feb 2007

February marks the seventh annual observance of National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NBHAAD). This national mobilization effort is designed to encourage African Americans nationwide to become more knowledgeable about the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infections and the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) disease, to get tested to know one's HIV status, and to seek treatment for HIV/AIDS. African Americans represent an estimated 13 percent of the U.S. population, yet the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports 49 percent of those currently living with AIDS in this country are African American.

"Special events such as free HIV/AIDS testing, town hall meetings, candlelight vigils and faith-based programs are being held throughout the country. However, we must do more to stop the spread of this disease," said Albert W. Morris, M.D., president of the National Medical Association (NMA).

Despite 26 years of dealing with the disease, HIV/AIDS continues to be a critical health crisis for African Americans. The NMA strongly recommends that everyone be tested for HIV because there are a significant number of individuals who are unaware that they are infected and have never been diagnosed. "What is most disturbing regarding this epidemic is that we continue to diagnose African Americans at an advanced stage at their initial diagnosis. These individuals do not receive the benefits from early treatment which can prolong their lives," said, Dr. Virginia Caine, director, Marion County Health Department (Indiana) and NMA member.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics 2006 Report, HIV/AIDS is one of the top ten leading causes of death for African Americans. In the same year, African Americans accounted for more than half (54 percent) of the estimated new HIV infections in the United States. "It is clear that African Americans have been ravaged by this disease," says Los Angeles physician and director of the OASIS Clinic, Dr. Wilbert Jordan.

link :
AIDS CONTINUES TO SPREAD
0 Replies