Global Warming...New Report...and it ain't happy news

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 12:57 pm
The climate here at A2K hasn't changed much over the years. The weird **** keeps "popping up" over on the left of the place. Kinda like if California had real weather.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:00 pm
cjhsa wrote:
The climate here at A2K hasn't changed much over the years. The weird **** keeps "popping up" over on the left of the place. Kinda like if California had real weather.

Don't know how it is where you are at, but the weather here in Berkeley coud be described as 'real NICE weather.'

You're just jealous. I bet it's freezing up north right now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:05 pm
Sorry, I could never be jealous of Berkeley.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:07 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Sorry, I could never be jealous of Berkeley.

Why not? It's one of the finest places anyone could possibly live. The list of amenities is pretty damn long.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:08 pm
Look again, I'm not sure those are a-men.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:12 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Look again, I'm not sure those are a-men.

I'm not sure what you mean, other than some sort of derogatory comment about gays.

The weather, scenery, and outdoor possibilities are fantastic. You won't get very far dissing Northern California to anyone who has actually been there.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:14 pm
Really? I lived there - but not in Berkeley. It's a liberal nuthouse.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:16 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Really? I lived there - but not in Berkeley. It's a liberal nuthouse.

Not so much that it affects your everyday life. People go to school and work here just like everywhere else.

Tell me, specifically what makes the city of Berkeley a 'liberal nuthouse?'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:27 pm
If I have to explain it you'll never understand. Sounds like you were meant to live there.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:28 pm
cjhsa wrote:
If I have to explain it you'll never understand. Sounds like you were meant to live there.

Nice non-answer.

Usually a great indicator that someone is full of sh*t.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:40 pm
From Wikpedia

Present day
Today, students at UC Berkeley are considered less politically active than their predecessors, but Berkeley freshmen are statistically more liberal and less religious than their national counterparts.

(because they are chosen that way to fit in at Berzerkeley).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:47 pm
cjhsa wrote:
From Wikpedia

Present day
Today, students at UC Berkeley are considered less politically active than their predecessors, but Berkeley freshmen are statistically more liberal and less religious than their national counterparts.

(because they are chosen that way to fit in at Berzerkeley).

You are aware that we are talking about the city, Berkeley, and not the school, UC Berkeley?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 01:49 pm
Are you saying the actions of the city council are in no way related to the fact the University is part of the town?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:17 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Are you saying the actions of the city council are in no way related to the fact the University is part of the town?

Did I say that? I didn't see anywhere where I wrote that, hmm.

Have you ever done more than drive through the place? You are awful judgmental.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:33 pm
parados wrote:
Are you arguing that weather forecasts are reasonably accurate only 50% of the time? That would be required for it to be random in relation to reality. I would argue that you can't show me any random sampling of forecasts that aren't close 50% of the time.

I am saying that weather forecasts, based on numerical integrations of the global numerical weather model are reliable only for about five days into the future. Beyond that their accuracy falls off very rapidly, and about 15 days into the future they are useless as an indicator of what will happen. Seasonal predictions based only on averages for the time of year are more accurate - indeed they remain the best we have.

I am also saying that the various doomsday projections on matters ranging from the 'Atlantic Conveyor' ocean current to projections of global rainfall and weather patters - all derived from the forward integration of analogous time-dependent models - are similarly subject to sensitive dependence on initial conditions, mathematical chaos, and the resulting gross inaccuracies in projections more than a short time into the future.

This is not an esoteric thing known to a very few. It is a well-known and widely recognized mathematical and empirical fact.

The static loadings of (say) the structure of a bridge, based on different applied loads, as they may occur in the future, is, from a mathematical perspective, a very different thing - and not subject to chaotic uncertainty. It is a sequence of static conditions, each resulting from different applied loads - not the time-dependent result of a coupled, non-linear dynamic process.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:37 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
parados wrote:
Are you arguing that weather forecasts are reasonably accurate only 50% of the time? That would be required for it to be random in relation to reality. I would argue that you can't show me any random sampling of forecasts that aren't close 50% of the time.

I am saying that weather forecasts, based on numerical integrations of the global numerical weather model are reliable only for about five days into the future. Beyond that their accuracy falls off very rapidly, and about 15 days into the future they are useless as an indicator of what will happen. Seasonal predictions based only on averages for the time of year are more accurate - indeed they remain the best we have.

I am also saying that the various doomsday projections on matters ranging from the 'Atlantic Conveyor' ocean current to projections of global rainfall and weather patters - all derived from the forward integration of analogous time-dependent models - are similarly subject to sensitive dependence on initial conditions, mathematical chaos, and the resulting gross inaccuracies in projections more than a short time into the future.

This is not an esoteric thing known to a very few. It is a well-known and widely recognized mathematical and empirical fact.

The static loadings of (say) the structure of a bridge, based on different applied loads, as they may occur in the future, is, from a mathematical perspective, a very different thing - and not subject to chaotic uncertainty. It is a sequence of static conditions, each resulting from different applied loads - not the time-dependent result of a coupled, non-linear dynamic process.

Last night and early this morning, our resident meterologists were saying that at most we could expect a sprinkle or two and that any precip in the passing clouds would mostly not make it all the way to the ground.

At 9 o'clock, the weather forecast was for likely showers, possibly thunderstorms, and maybe even snow in Santa Fe.

It is now 1:30 p.m. and the sun is shining in a bright blue sky and a robin is giving it hell right outside my office window.

And they want us to believe they can predict what will be happening 5 or 10 or 100 years from now?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:41 pm
Oh, and a PETA expert speaking on Fox News this morning was explaining how they have petitioned Al Gore to become a vegetarian. They are convinced that raising animals for food is more of a factor in global warming than all the factories, automobiles, and heating and air conditioning systems in the world combined. Further they think his "Inconvenient Truth" was remiss in not mentioning this.

Anybody want to take bets on whether Gore will adopt the Vegan diet they are recommending for all the people in the world?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 03:02 pm
You should go to the Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa on June 3 - 5: Gore's the keynote speaker there at the "Sustainable Operations Summit" ... three Gala Diners!!!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 03:05 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
You should go to the Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa on June 3 - 5: Gore's the keynote speaker there at the "Sustainable Operations Summit" ... three Gala Diners!!!

Will they be serving meat?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 03:08 pm
The menu isn't online yet - but I suppose so.
0 Replies