No movement of animated GIFs or sites. How can i fix this?

Reply Sun 23 Jan, 2005 07:15 pm
I have reciently downloaded Firefox.
I used to use ol'e IE. Since the switch, I have no movement of animated GIFs or the like...
I have downloaded Flashplayer...7.0? I believe? the latest version..
Anyways.. still nothing.
Any ideas? What programs do i need?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 875 • Replies: 5
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:08 am
In IE, check Tools->Internet Options->Advanced tab. Scroll down to the Multimedia section and see if the "Play animations in web pages" is checked.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:48 am
I checked in IE and the tabs are selected.
Still nothing.
Maybe I need to d/l an update of some kind do you think?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:28 am
Do you have a software firewall and/or an ad/pop-up blocker installed? If you do, disable the firewall and/or blocker and then see if the problem goes away. Some Google searching yielded the possibility that some program running in the background that is designed to block ads is preventing the GIFs from displaying properly.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:35 am
Posted by: jsmbubba

I can't seem to get animated gif's to work in internet exployer running windows xp. Does someone have a clue why not?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: NegotiatorSmith

Click Tools, click Internet Options, click the Advanced tab, and make sure that the box labeled "Play animations in web pages" is checked. If it isn't, check it, click OK and then try viewing an animated GIF again.

If that doesn't work, I would run a virus/adware/spyware scan and see if anything got installed recently that might be causing you a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, "play animations in web pages" is check, I have another computer that also has win xp & ie 6 and works fine and all my ie tool options are the same. It's a new computer I have norton installed updated def's and no virus found, spysweeper is also installed and has the usual HP crap like backweb and wildtanget, which is also on my other puter. I've uninstalled ie and reinstalled with no different results. I also installed Slimbrowser and the animated gif's work fine on it! Sooo confused!

Do you have a software firewall and/or an ad/pop-up blocker installed? If you, disable the firewall and/or blocker and then see if the problem goes away. Some Google searching yielded the possibility that some program running in the background that is designed to block ads is preventing the GIFs from displaying properly.

Posted by: NyGulkuk

Internet accelerator programs can cause this. They use compression on images and lose too many frames for the animation to work...

Yep it was Zone Alarm! Thanks NegotiatorSmith! For your help.

humm... Slimbrowser shows animations with zone alarm running. Is there away to allow IE to run animations with zone alarm?

It's been a while since I've used ZoneAlarm, so I don't know if this is in all versions, but I saw this in a forum post while Googling:

Privacy - Ad Blocking - Custom - uncheck the "Animation" box

Your right again! Thank You so very much for your expert help.

You're very welcome, but remember, the advice I gave you in my last two posts I got from Google.

Before I ask a tech question, I "do my homework", and I encourage others to do so as well....

Posted by: justinious

I encourage not using ZA

Posted by: Jean James

I have the same problem. I used to have Windows 98 and I could go to a website and cut and paste an animated gif into word. Since XP was installed, I cannot do it. I checked everything that was mentioned on the website, and it was all in order. I don't have zone, but I have an extermal firewall. What do you think the problem could be. I don't have any viruses, and my Norton is up to date. So is my internet explorer and all my microsoft updates are installed.

Posted by: The_Turks(ff7)

Youre using Norton Internet Security? check this out...
Rightnclick the task tray and open norton internet security.
Go to options then Internet Security
Then click the Web Content tab
Make sure animated images and flash are on "permit" not block.
I had to do this so i could see the buttons for another forum, hope it helps

Posted by: Akram

i have same problem but not all the pictures or animatiion ,i' now uses 2 or 3 different browsers ,still same problem in all of them ,cann't view alot of pictures ,espically www.yahoo.com home page ,any clue? waitting answers plz????

Posted by: GA Rebel

Thanks to NegotiatorSmith
The Zone Alarm privacy settings cleared my problem with animations that started when I recently upgraded to the Pro version. I found your post using Google search.
GA Rebel
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 10:47 am
wow thank you for that!!
I will get to work on that now. :-)
0 Replies